Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Posts 26 to 50 of 50

User Info Menu

Mistress? Did somebody say Mistress?

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by AllanAllen
    Caged forms look awful close to Bruno and Greens 5 positions to me.
    Both absolutely great players and outstanding teachers of jazz guitar. I still remember exactly where I was, many moons ago, the first time I heard Mr. Bruno on the radio, his playing impressed me that much.

Quote Originally Posted by rpjazzguitar
    This may sound like a troll, but it's a real question. I really don't get this. Thanks in advance for an answer.

Suppose you already know the notes all over the neck.

So, you know, instantly, where every note in a Cmajor scale is (as well as every other scale).

At that point, why would you need CAGED, or any other set of fingering diagrams?

How, exactly, would they be helpful?
    It really is a feather in your cap that you know all the notes names on every fret cold, that is a good thing for a musician to know their instrument like that. Now to your "I'm not a troll" question Mr. Nixon, LOL.

Seriously?

Okay, why do scientists use E= M x (CxC), or the other equations of Einstein and Isaac Newton? Because they explain the physical laws of the way nature works in mathematical terms that we can then utilize.

These musical tools we talk about are "the science of music" or "the math of music", that musicians utilize to make music and to understand how music works. Music is really all about relationships, That is understanding the relationships between root notes, intervals, chords, scales, arpeggios, keys etc. This information / math that we call music theory helps us to keep all that information organized and to understand and see all those myriad relationships etc. Understanding all of those musical tools actually gives you knowledge, power, and freedom to create good music, that you may never have thought of from musical ignorance. Einstein named his theory "The Theory of Relativity" because everything really is related, music is all about relationships, too.

When you think about it, it took thousands of years for gifted intelligent musicians, who were probably more gifted than any of us babbling on this forum, to come up with what we know today as music theory. But, if you want to start from scratch and develop your own completely new thing for yourself to explain all the relationships of how music works, go right ahead.

The Giant, Joe, said that he used the CAGED forms. I don't know about you guys, but that's enough said on that subject for me. That being said, whatever scale forms float your boat, work for you, feel comfortable to you, and you enjoy playing, use those. That's called freedom of choice, and I'm a HUGE proponent of that .
    Last edited by James Haze; 02-27-2022 at 08:29 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by starjasmine
    @rpjazzguitar: I knew the whole neck cold before I learned CAGED, as well. Consider that any chord in any key can map to any of the CAGED scale positions based on where you view the root note dots. Thus, I use CAGED like a muscle memory crutch: it's a way to visualize the dot pattern for any scale in any position instantly. I am not really a position player, but the use of CAGED dot patterns makes it easier to visualize scale patterns as I float between positions, if that makes sense...
    Thank you. I think I understand. My approach is mostly different. I know the chord (in the tune I'm playing) and its function. So, I know tonal center and chord tones. I know where those notes are all over the neck. Typically, I'll play one and then build melody from there, mostly by ear, but with some awareness of chord tones and tonal center. It wouldn't typically occur to me to think about patterns when I'm moving up and down the neck, except maybe for some very obvious chord shapes.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Pedrocouto
    Well I don’t think there’s such a thing as a “best way” regarding fingerings. I would suggest for you to experiment with every available possibility.
    Leavitt and Fisher fingerings are great, but experiment also thinking about stuff like scales starting with your 1st, 2nd and 4th finger. Also four note per string (for example, g major: 6th string: g, a, b, c. 5th string: d, e, f#, g and so forth. For this I always switch positions with my index finger, but there’s also the Holdsworth approach, using one finger for each note).
    So the sky is the limit. There’s also other aspects such as phrasing. Some lines might sound better or can be easier to play with one fingering over other.

User Info Menu

I grew up with piano, where there was a clear right way to do most things. I’ve taught myself guitar and it seems there are many acceptable ways to do any. Here’s my way.

For each major or minor scale, I practice each in the 5 CAGED position patterns.

I also practice 3 octave scales, in two patterns (one starting on the 6th string, the other on the 5th). The 3 octave scales help pull together the CAGED patterns in my mind, since they’re constructed from CAGED fragments.

User Info Menu

Eventually all these patterns are all seen as part of the Unified Pattern of Diatonics. As the Unified Pattern is shifted up the neck for different keys, the positional block patterns fall off the end of the fingerboard and re-appear at the nut.

As I see it, Leavitt patterns, CAGED, Bruno and modes are all just slices of the Unified Pattern. There are other patterns in between that overlap. We use various shifts to move through them from the nut to the other end.

It's a system for knowing where all the notes on the fretboard are for a given key.

It's just a map. Horn players for EG have to learn a different map for each key. We just have one big map that shifts around the fretboard for different keys. And we have different overlays for our map: modes, Leavitt, and so on.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ccroft
    Eventually all these patterns are all seen as part of the Unified Pattern of Diatonics. As the Unified Pattern is shifted up the neck for different keys, the positional block patterns fall off the end of the fingerboard and re-appear at the nut.

As I see it, Leavitt patterns, CAGED, Bruno and modes are all just slices of the Unified Pattern. There are other patterns in between that overlap. We use various shifts to move through them from the nut to the other end.

It's a system for knowing where all the notes on the fretboard are for a given key.

It's just a map. Horn players for EG have to learn a different map for each key. We just have one big map that shifts around the fretboard for different keys. And we have different overlays for our map: modes, Leavitt, and so on.
    Exactly, they're all just musical tools to help organize all the musical information. What you do with them to create interesting improv is where the creativity and musicianship comes in.

Look at me coming in here to talk about scale forms, and then I go on this long explanation about Einstein and relativity, LOL. That's me, I'm always going on blathering about something or other from at least a slightly different angle . Hopefully someone got something useful from it, maybe?

Actually, though, Einstein could read music, had a great appreciation for music, and could play the violin beautifully. So besides his scientific genius, Einstein was also a talented practicing musician, so there's that.

Einstein jamming: Scales - Position Playing vs. Shifting the Hand-926489-jpg
    Well there's something you don't see every day.

...and we all keep plugging away, and hopefully we hit some good notes in there somewhere. Have a nice day

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BigDee62
    For each major or minor scale, I practice each in the 5 CAGED position patterns.
    I've been classically (though never formally) trained since I was about 7 but that 2nd part is unfathomable for me. For me a scale is a run of 8 subsequent notes, someone care to explain exactly how you play those with your fingers in one of the CAGED patterns? I can imagine you take one of those patterns, chose a finger and string and then play the scale moving your hand so the finger hits the scale notes on that string, but what's the point of doing that?

User Info Menu

I went to Berklee for a couple years and spent a lot of time in the Leavitt books. The in-position focus is mainly for sight reading purposes. It makes it easier to sight read when your left hand is anchored in one position. I find that for improvising, playing lines or solos, it hinders rather than helps. Phrasing works much better when you're not restricted to playing in position.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by RJVB
    I've been classically (though never formally) trained since I was about 7 but that 2nd part is unfathomable for me. For me a scale is a run of 8 subsequent notes, someone care to explain exactly how you play those with your fingers in one of the CAGED patterns? I can imagine you take one of those patterns, chose a finger and string and then play the scale moving your hand so the finger hits the scale notes on that string, but what's the point of doing that?
    Post 11 has the fingerings. You’re overthinking this. The fingerings are “the whole scale” as in across the neck, low E to high e.

If you go to a lesson, tryout, or jam and someone asks you to play the major scale and you plunk out 8 notes, you failed the test.

User Info Menu

post 11 has the fingerings. You’re overthinking this.
    I hope I am (if not I don't see how anyone could improvise using "this"). But post 11 only makes things worse for me; those diagrams could just as well show the fingerings for 5 entire pieces.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by RJVB
    I hope I am (if not I don't see how anyone could improvise using "this"). But post 11 only makes things worse for me; those diagrams could just as well show the fingerings for 5 entire pieces.
    you don’t improvise with this, you practice it a few minutes a day so you know where the right notes are.

Improv and knowing which frets to use are related, but not the same.

User Info Menu

when teaching someone new to music in general and guitar in particular .. you must remind yourself how you felt playing your first chord / scale..

what seems easy now was a vast complex of finger movements-sounds-and memory..all out of context of what music is..

so when I show someone a major scale between the 2nd and 5th frets ..they see MANY more frets than that..and the name of the notes on which frets.. with what finger?

so some methods were developed to make the learning process easier (really?)

very much like teaching how to bake a pie..only your just going to bake one slice of it so you have to alter the amount of ingredients and the bake time

ok do you want to impart only a little knowledge about scales or begin with an overview and review that several times--

the major scale is seven notes..but is part of a chromatic scale that is twelve notes

so for the CAGED system..could the omitted pentatonic scale be incorporated in it..would it not be a more complete understanding of how to use scales
    so for the C Major scale..the Db Pent scale would complete the chromatic scale..at least introduce this information

Db Eb Gb Ab Bb

This is my approach..some say it helps them ..YMMV

User Info Menu

I don't know if this is a rant or just a minority view ...

Why does it matter?

You aren't going to be playing scales in the course of a music career.

And, if you were, no matter which way you did it, there'd be one player who does it that way faster than you, and another who does it a different way, also faster than you. I say that with an apology to the very fastest players in the world, for whom my statement isn't true.

So, when you decide what music you want to make, you might consider whether the scale fingering you practice will make any difference.

In real life, you're playing a line somebody else wrote or one you're making up. If it's somebody else's line, you have to find the fingering that works at full speed -- which may or may not fall into a scale pattern. Depends on the notes. If it's your improv, you can make great lines any which way.

I do a lot of reading in my musical activities and I often find myself problem solving to arrive at a fingering that works for a fast passage. I know scale patterns (3nps and other) but I absolutely never think about them when I'm reading. Rather, I'm looking at the line and working out details. Usually, it's finding a fingering that will facilitate the right hand. Like, putting the right number of notes on a string to allow a pull off -- thereby giving me a 16th note's time to reposition the pick. Or, finding the position shifts that make the line playable. Or, incorporating a quick use of an open string to avoid jumping over a string with the pick. The idea of assuming that I can play somebody's line by adhering to a practiced scale fingering doesn't ever occur to me.

You want to sound like Wes? He used three fingers for his single note improv, with a lot of hand movement. Arguably, the greatest jazz guitarist, but I'm going to guess that he wasn't a speed demon on scales, what with using his thumb.

How about Django? Two fingers. Lots of open strings and movement. Also, arguably, the greatest jazz guitarist.

Charlie Christian? Furthest thing from a modern speed demon and all downstrokes. And, of course, arguably, the greatest jazz guitarist.

Chuck Wayne -- he did use 3 notes per string and had a system of scales, arps and chords that took advantage of it. Economy picking. 3 notes per string works well with economy picking, but not so well with alternate picking. So, it's not even just a decision about the left hand. It's an even more fundamental decision about the right hand. (I'll stop here with the greatest jokes, but that may not be fair to Chuck, who was an incredible player).

Jimmy Bruno in JBGI taught stretching, generally towards the nut, when stretches were needed. Apologies to Jimmy if I've got this wrong.

I don't know to what extent Jimmy used scale patterns in improv. I'm pretty sure that Warren Nunes did. At least, his books suggest it.

So, it's typical of jazz guitar. Great player did it one way. Another great player did it a different way.

Sorry for the rant, which I guess it was.
    How refreshing!!

B.Katt

User Info Menu

To continue the rant ....

Please correct me if I'm wrong, but I have the impression that people learn the dots-on-grid patterns (5 or 7 of them, typically) so that they can find the notes they need. So, if you decide, say, to play Eb Ionian, you know 5 dot patterns that will tell you where those notes are. Eventually, you know the patterns well enough that you can move freely from one pattern into another.

Does this mean that if I point to a random string/fret you have to think about it to know what the note is?

Or that, to play Eb major, you have to join one of your dot patterns with the correct finger so that you can find the rest of the notes?

Not a troll. I'm genuinely curious if this is correct for many players. And, it's not a criticism. I believe, for example, that my teacher, Warren Nunes, thought and played that way. Using the same finger for the same place in a pattern has the advantage, I should think, of facilitating speed, depending, of course, on what you're trying to play.

I couldn't do it that way. I found it impossible to memorize dots on grids. And, I didn't need them to find the notes, because I already knew where they were (from learning to read from my first lesson). And, if I did learn a pattern, it was hard to enter the pattern in the middle. I could never reach a point in solo where I could play a specific pattern starting on a random note within it.

Much later, I memorized the notes in each major scale (relative minor comes along for free) and each melodic minor scale. I memorized the standard usages. And, also, the notes in the chords I use. 12 keys. This permits playing anywhere on the neck starting on any finger. No root bias. It's a lot of work, but it seems to me that it's less work than trying to memorize dots on grids.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by dcontoyannis
    Hi forum! I’ve been studying Leavitt’s Modern Method for a while now (currently midway through book 2). These books advocate position playing of scales - the hand does not shift up or down the neck when playing a scale in any given position. If you need to reach up or down a fret to grab a note, it is done by stretching the 1st or 4th finger. (See below)

Meanwhile, in many other books/websites, scale shapes are often shown in a way where the hand shifts position to play the scale. See below for an example from the 1st book of the Jody Fisher series (have only skimmed the book so far).

I was curious if folks on the forum have any opinions on whether there is a “best” way to play the scales, or is it just a matter of personal preference? Or should you learn them both ways for different situations (and if so, when would you play it one way vs. the other)?

Leavitt scale:

Attachment 89140

Fisher scales:
    Attachment 89141
    strict position playing is very good for kiddies and I suppose students who really need a strong system; this finger, this fret. You kind of need that for a lot of young students.

Beyond that i don’t really like strict position playing; I don’t think it lends itself for the best approach to fingering things in a logical, flowing way. Trying to play bop in strict position for instance is a really good way to convince yourself you can’t play bop (while Dave Cliff can do it all with three fingers and lots of shifting.)

Even scales sound better - more musical - with lots of shifting.

i also think people can get a bit into the habit of seeing things as a kinaesthetic fingering rather than notes on the neck. That can make players a bit inflexible.

However it can be useful for reading, if makes you more automatic that can be useful. But then sometimes it’s not so good to be automatic like when playing a melody .

i have practiced positions. But it’s also good to practice playing on one string.

As to which is best, I would go with what feels comfortable at first. I prefer one octave scales that you can link up rather than multioctave positions.
    Last edited by Christian Miller; 02-28-2022 at 07:34 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by wolflen
    for new players learning the illogical nature of the guitar (standard tuning) is a study in it self..

scales are a mechanical finger pattern..that end after the last note of the scale is played .. not very musical..
    but with repetition you will learn the pattern..learning the notes of the scale is a separate study ..
    and then learning the intervals of the scale and all the variations-melodic patterns and then learning it in different positions and string sets

the many different ways to learn scales..each having some pros and cons - all ways should be explored !
    knowing the fretboard and note locations becomes necessary if you want to play anywhere on the fretboard and not feel "lost"
    the necessity of learning scales in ALL keys and positions is the way to fully understand the illogical nature of the fretboard

Alan Holdsworth was to have said..learning a scale takes about two years..and from a certain point of view I agree

Allan was a fast learner tho

User Info Menu

If I’m playing in Eb I’ll play around the 6th fret and that’s about all the thought I give to the label’s. If I want to target something, say the 3rd, I know where that is. I’m not thinking about my music like an old time stock ticker of notes.

And, if you came up to me, pointed at a fret and asked what note it was I would start laughing. That doesn’t happen in real life.

User Info Menu

If I’m playing in Eb I’ll play around the 6th fret and that’s about all the thought I give to the label’s. If I want to target something, say the 3rd, I know where that is. I’m not thinking about my music like an old time stock ticker of notes.

And, if you came up to me, pointed at a fret and asked what note it was I would start laughing. That doesn’t happen in real life.
    The question comes down to whether a player knows the fingerboard or not. I could have made the point in reverse. If you are asked (say, by a chart) to play a certain note, do you instantly know all the places where that note exists on the fingerboard, or do you have to think about it? If you play in situations where you are called on to read standard notation, this happens in real life.

And, if you knew the fretboard and the notes in the chords and scales you use, would you bother learning dots on grids?

User Info Menu

The thing to remember is that there are actually 12 notes in a key or tonal center. You should have all 12 notes available to you for your improv at all times. All 12 of those notes are in the key and relate to the key in a different way. Meaning, they sound different in relation to the key, each of the chord functions within the key, and further, in relation to the chord subs within that key.

How each of those tones sound over all of those functions should be learned so thoroughly that you can recall whatever sound you hear and feel whenever you feel it will benefit the line. From there, with all 12 notes available at all times, you start playing exactly what you hear and feel. Now you're truly improvising, not relying on some scale pattern, but in control, and playing whatever you hear and feel.

I mentioned math in an earlier post. At this point, it really is more fruitful to think of the notes as numbers instead of note names. I really don't care if the note is named Bb F C F# G A or whatever. What matters is the number, the relationship between that chord function and that interval number. Could be a 3rd, b3rd, perfect 4th or 5th, b9, #9, #5, 11th, etc., etc. Now you're thinking relationships, something musical.

With all 12 notes available at all times, when you can start playing whatever hip, interesting sounding phrases, you're hearing and feeling from moment to moment; Ayyyyyyyy, ayyyyyyy, when you can do that, then you will have learned grasshopper, then you'll be truly improvising. It isn't just running your fingers through your cute little major scale pattern.

I don't think I can take any more of this thread, so I'm going to bounce and go hit the record button. We'll probably meet again in another thread. Have a nice day and good luck with your music

User Info Menu

To continue the rant ....

Does this mean that if I point to a random string/fret you have to think about it to know what the note is?

Or that, to play Eb major, you have to join one of your dot patterns with the correct finger so that you can find the rest of the notes?
    For me, no and no. For less-studied players, possibly yes.

For me, dot patterns were an entry point to mapping muscle memory to audiation.

I don't really think about knowing where each note is; I internalized that long ago as part of learning to read. But the first step to that was understanding how the chromatic scale maps to the fretboard including where notes repeat.

I learned to play guitar by ear and then mapped standard notation and dot patterns onto what I already had in muscle memory and aural recogntion.

But I first learned sight-reading on trumpet, before I knew any theory or had much in the way of guitar chops.

So my current skill set could be seen as the produt of "cross-training" as a sight-reading horn player and a by-ear guitar player.

As I pursued my music degree, those cross-training connections became quite well-articulated. I became a reading guitarist with a much better ear and much better mechanical technique. I learned some piano, a ton of theory, and additional approaches to LH and RH technique. So I really don't approach anything as being "one right way" or "the best way" anymore. Trying to get right-hand technique together really broke me of that attitude - I spent over a year just working on picking. I'd find a technique that allowed me to do things I could not do before, and think I had finally gotten there. And a week later I'd find my new technique not up to the task of some new thing I was trying to master. So now I really just use everything I have, all the time, and kind of allow serving a musical intent to surface the correct knowledge. I can play in position, float between positions, and start any of those patterns on any finger as necessary. (Agree that position playing greatly simplifies reading, but you also have to know when and how to switch positions, or when and how to figure out a fingering for a particular passage that might have nothing to do with any previously memorized positional or dot-pattern approach.)

Whatever works for you is fine for you, and the more ways you can think of something, the better. If dot patterns don't work for you, cool. I kind of hate TAB and prefer standard notation by far. But some folks hate standard and prefer TAB. To each his own.

User Info Menu

Caged and other positional systems where the student memorizes dot patterns across the fretboard are great for scale noodling over the changes without addressing each chord. But I think it's very cumbersome to learn playing the changes with these systems.

I learned the Caged and various other systems many moons ago but what helped me with the ability address each chord was to focus on one octave patterns. Learning intervallic relationships between a note and the notes one octave above and below it was the most useful think I did w.r.t. the fretboard. All you have to do is to get good at a musical concept within a two-octave range. Then the whole fretboard opens up for that concept as the patterns just repeat everywhere (adjusting for the tuning). You can almost instantly start working on applying the concept to tunes. Symmetries are wonderful things and the guitar has lots of them. They are also great for ears.

Regarding learning the notes, I'm a slow reader but I have instant knowledge of the notes on the fretboard. I have never heard anyone who learned the notes on the fretboard say that knowing the notes wasn't useful for them. Otherwise people would just forget the note names eventually, but that doesn't seem to happen.

User Info Menu

Jimmy Bruno in JBGI taught stretching, generally towards the nut, when stretches were needed. Apologies to Jimmy if I've got this wrong.
    This is a thing I got from the missus who's a cellist, didn't know Jimmy taught this. I use this all the time for beginners - they tend to get stuck around the nut, so you tell them to finger a D on the B string say and stretch back for the C, works pretty well.

I think stretching towards the nut often works better than the opposite. There's a tendency for the fretting hand to sort of plant itself from the index finger; I think that's a problem I have inherited from position playing.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by starjasmine
    For me, no and no. For less-studied players, possibly yes.

For me, dot patterns were an entry point to mapping muscle memory to audiation.

I don't really think about knowing where each note is; I internalized that long ago as part of learning to read. But the first step to that was understanding how the chromatic scale maps to the fretboard including where notes repeat.

I learned to play guitar by ear and then mapped standard notation and dot patterns onto what I already had in muscle memory and aural recogntion.

But I first learned sight-reading on trumpet, before I knew any theory or had much in the way of guitar chops.

So my current skill set could be seen as the produt of "cross-training" as a sight-reading horn player and a by-ear guitar player.

As I pursued my music degree, those cross-training connections became quite well-articulated. I became a reading guitarist with a much better ear and much better mechanical technique. I learned some piano, a ton of theory, and additional approaches to LH and RH technique. So I really don't approach anything as being "one right way" or "the best way" anymore. Trying to get right-hand technique together really broke me of that attitude - I spent over a year just working on picking. I'd find a technique that allowed me to do things I could not do before, and think I had finally gotten there. And a week later I'd find my new technique not up to the task of some new thing I was trying to master. So now I really just use everything I have, all the time, and kind of allow serving a musical intent to surface the correct knowledge. I can play in position, float between positions, and start any of those patterns on any finger as necessary. (Agree that position playing greatly simplifies reading, but you also have to know when and how to switch positions, or when and how to figure out a fingering for a particular passage that might have nothing to do with any previously memorized positional or dot-pattern approach.)

Whatever works for you is fine for you, and the more ways you can think of something, the better. If dot patterns don't work for you, cool. I kind of hate TAB and prefer standard notation by far. But some folks hate standard and prefer TAB. To each his own.
    I think this articulates the process as I've found it really well.

It's always evolving - for instance, recently I've been getting used to those charming overringing scale fingerings you get in modern classical guitar editions - sound great on a tele, and hopefully by learning this stuff in Bach it will end up in more improvisational areas.

As far as notation goes, I too prefer notation. I'm not the best reader out there, but TAB is quite alien, I just don't use it much. TBH if it's guitar stuff I learn it by ear and if it's a chart I read notation so it[s more that it's not a part of my musical life. I use it for students though.

I wish there wasn't tab in a lot of books. I start kids off reading but worry about students becoming deskilled as they progress through the Rockschool grades. At least with me I started reading as a beginner so notation was never unknown to me, so hopefully that's how it is with students. Teaching students to read is unfashionable perhaps, but for me a sort of hippocratic duty almost.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Tal_175
    Caged and other positional systems where the student memorizes dot patterns across the fretboard are great for scale noodling over the changes without addressing each chord. But I think it's very cumbersome to learn playing the changes with these systems.
    You raise an excellent point that I sort of forgot about... I use CAGED as a way to identify scale patterns that contain the CAGED arpeggios. But I really almost always conceptualize everything in terms of arpeggios. So CAGED dot patterns are a way to map arpeggios back to scale-fingering choices. A way to find the "connecting tissue" between arpeggios.