The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 28

User Info Menu

I saw on another post mention of Matt Warnock Guitar courses.

Can forum members share their experience with this teacher around learning jazz?

I have noticed he has organized his lessons into20 sequential levels starting with the basics and blues and then morphing into more jazz for the rest of the levels starting at level 4 or so.

Has anybody moved through the sequential levels and found that to be an effective way to study jazz? I tend to really like linear sequential learning. I already play guitar but have never explored the jazz area.

I am hoping for comments like in the Frank Vignola thread.

Thanks
    Last edited by Photonic; 01-18-2022 at 09:34 PM. Reason: change title

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

Well I was amazed that no one chimed in here, but despite that I went ahead and activated his 30 day free trial and I must admit I was blown away. He reponds to any questions almost immediately by chat or post responses. There are hundreds of jazz courses listed by category, name, or level if you wish to proceed stepwise. He posts new every day lessons on different topics. It appears you can upload videos of your self doing anything and he will provide feedback with no limit. There is also a Tune of the Month that is broken into sections for mastery. There is an included Spotify listening list that is astoundingly complete. It looks like BIAB files are provided when needed..... and on and on. And there is a community forum similar to ours with all sorts of categories.

The cost is a bit more than say Frank's studio, but the offerings are HUGE and the personal feedback looks exceptional. From my first experiences with his teaching style by watching his videos, he seems quite skilled at teaching as well. It looks like this offering comes awfully close to have a private teacher for $29/mo.

This should be a very interesting experience. I am very excited about it and with 30 days free, what's not to lose!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Photonic
    Well I was amazed that no one chimed in here, but despite that I went ahead and activated his 30 day free trial and I must admit I was blown away. He reponds to any questions almost immediately by chat or post responses. There are hundreds of jazz courses listed by category, name, or level if you wish to proceed stepwise. He posts new every day lessons on different topics. It appears you can upload videos of your self doing anything and he will provide feedback with no limit. There is also a Tune of the Month that is broken into sections for mastery. There is an included Spotify listening list that is astoundingly complete. It looks like BIAB files are provided when needed..... and on and on. And there is a community forum similar to ours with all sorts of categories.

The cost is a bit more than say Frank's studio, but the offerings are HUGE and the personal feedback looks exceptional. From my first experiences with his teaching style by watching his videos, he seems quite skilled at teaching as well. It looks like this offering comes awfully close to have a private teacher for $29/mo.

This should be a very interesting experience. I am very excited about it and with 30 days free, what's not to lose!
    You will not go wrong with Matt Warnock. Top shelf educator, in my book. You have chosen wisely, Grasshopper.

Oh that is really great to know. Thanks for taking the time to mention that!

User Info Menu

Hello Photo. I missed you post. Matt is a great teacher in my opinion. While well versed in his history, technic etc he is an extremely ambitious teacher educator. He offers loads of material and ideas and his site is full of related resources for reference. I believe and hope you will be happy there, I am.

User Info Menu

And for anyone interested, one of Matt's teachers was Lorne Lofsky (If you know who he was.)

Quote Originally Posted by Doug B
    And for anyone interested, one of Matt's teachers was Lorne Lofsky (If you know who he was.)
    Lorne Lofsky - Wikipedia

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by doug b
    and for anyone interested, one of matt's teachers was lorne lofsky (if you know who he was.)
    is !

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pcjazz
    is !
    Yes, of course.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Doug B
    Doug, you may be thinking of a different Matt.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Photonic
    I saw on another post mention of Matt Warnock Guitar courses.

Can forum members share their experience with this teacher around learning jazz?

I have noticed he has organized his lessons into20 sequential levels starting with the basics and blues and then morphing into more jazz for the rest of the levels starting at level 4 or so.

Has anybody moved through the sequential levels and found that to be an effective way to study jazz? I tend to really like linear sequential learning. I already play guitar but have never explored the jazz area.

I am hoping for comments like in the Frank Vignola thread.

Thanks
    Im curious, have you looked over the all material at https://www.jazzguitar.be/blog/jazz-guitar-lessons/
    (Regretfully, I’ve not found a link back to the Home/lessons page from the forum here. But you really ought to look over the material there. It is the It is exceptionally laid out. Click around there, TONS of stuff.)

Have you gone here and learned these chords and the Kenny Burrell vamp in the video on this page below yet? Make sure you scroll all the way to the bottom of this page…
    https://www.jazzguitar.be/blog/17-es...rds-beginners/
    Do that and once you can play that vamp at 3/4 speed without error, check out the other stuff there.

Learn to Play Jazz Guitar With Our Selection of eBooks

Jazz Guitar Chord Theory - How To Construct Jazz Chords?
    Last edited by oceanslider; 01-25-2022 at 12:18 PM.

User Info Menu

I have his 30 Days to Better Jazz Guitar.Knowing my self discipline/personal circumstance i got it going in with a longer time frame.Great Book. A fun book.

User Info Menu

The mwg subscription is just brilliant. Great materials, community and teacher. It’s really exciting to be a part of it.

User Info Menu

I will second the Jazzguitar online stuff. Easy peasy just click on the upper right "Lessons" on the forum. Dirk does a great job with both the free stuff and paid classes.
    I have seen some of Matt's lessons also, seem genuine.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Ralphy
    I will second the Jazzguitar online stuff. Easy peasy just click on the upper right "Lessons" on the forum. Dirk does a great job with both the free stuff and paid classes.
    hey Ralphy, I am still not seeing that link up top. I’m using safari on an iPad.

I did just now find some lesson links hidden at the very bottom of the page.

User Info Menu

Yes on my ipad the lesson stuff is way down the forum front page, where it says ‘JGO Navigation’.

User Info Menu

FYI, One video I found on Jazz Guitar Online's YouTube looks like Matt Warnock? (the video is 8 years old, so there must be a connection between the two?)...

Last edited by oceanslider; 01-25-2022 at 01:26 PM.

User Info Menu

Oceanslider
    Back out of this forum and go to Forum Home. You will see the JGO Navigation on the right side, it has several different hyper links under it. Take your pick and enjoy

User Info Menu

Oceanslider
    Back out of this forum and go to Forum Home. You will see the JGO Navigation on the right side, it has several different hyper links under it. Take your pick and enjoy
    Not on an iPad or iPhone. It is at the very bottom of the page only. I don't use my PC much and will check that later. Thanks!

User Info Menu

I fully admit that I haven't seriously looked at the online learning materials on JGO until now.

Man, that was pretty dumb of me. So much excellent stuff just sitting here for anyone to use.

User Info Menu

^^^
    Agree. Too bad there is not a bold link always at the top of the page.. "Click Here for awesome and FREE JGO lessons"

Just checked my Android work phone also at the very bottom of the page.

Wish I had known about them when I first found this forum.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by oceanslider
    FYI, One video I found on Jazz Guitar Online's YouTube looks like Matt Warnock? (the video is 8 years old, so there must be a connection between the two?)...

YouTubers know each other and do cross channel stuff.

User Info Menu

I got some of Matt’s courses from back when he was offering lesson packages. There was a Facebook group too.

The lessons were song based, really well organized, focusing on a few key techniques for solo and comping. They got a jazz beginner like me up and running really quickly. There were challenges and milestones with encouragement to post to the Facebook group.

I would have stuck with it but shortly afterwards, Matt converted the whole site to subscription based, and moved the group. Also the website took on an ubercommercial design that reminded me of those snake oil web sites, which was really unfortunate because his lessons were very good. I started getting spam emails promoting this or that add-on… so finally I unregistered myself and looked elsewhere.

This was about two years ago so the experience may be very different now, I would suggest to try the free 30 days and see if you like it.

Very professional now with a really good website through "Teachable". Companion forum site that is really good. Very active community. Matt puts up daily lessons around a tune of the month. Participants post videos of progress. Matt responds to virtually every post in minutes. He will also provide coaching on any aspect of any of the lessons. The responsiveness is stunning. Now just an all inclusive monthly or yearly fee after a 30 day free trial.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by AllanAllen
    YouTubers know each other and do cross channel stuff.
    I downloaded a few paid for books from JGO, the cyber Monday deal that is still going on, and in each book it says Dirk & Matt or Matt & Dirk, and even Scott, Matt & Dirk under the introduction of each. Either way I like very much the way Dirk, and Matt obviously, and Scott teaches the theory of it in the lessons, the free stuff online and these books. Good stuff.