The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I've played guitar for quite a long time, but I'm fairly new to jazz guitar and I've been learning independently for around 4 months now. My progress feels very sporadic, especially since I feel like I have ADHD with the overload of unorganized content online. I was wondering what everyone thinks of 1-on-1 online lessons? Unfortunately there are no jazz teachers where I live, so this is my best option.

Does anyone know where I could find a good teacher online?

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Well, who do you like? There's a good chance they offer online lessons.

I did online lessons and they went well. I also did an online masterclass led by Mimi Fox through the California Jazz Conservatory. https://cjc.edu/

That might be a good way for you to get your feet wet and see if online lessons are your thing before committing 8 weeks to an instructor.

Or you could also buy the Mickey Baker book and go through it alone, that'll keep you busy for a year.

I found it was best to keep YouTube for entertainment instead of education. You'll end up with a desk full of printed lessons and exercises and an overwhelming sense of dread.

User Info Menu

Thanks to this forum I learned about Tru Fire and Frank Vignola. He is over the top great. I went with an unlimited yearly, shop the deals and get a 99$ special. Frank also has a channel thru trufire and with that you get a certain amount of private lesson time with him. I have also used the lessons that are here on the forum blog. You may even get some offers from folks here. This forum has some exceptional players and teachers. I agree with AllanAllan, leave Youtube for entertainment. Good luck and welcome

User Info Menu

I'll 2nd Frank Vignola and his TrueFire channel. He strips things down to the very basics and has you build from there, encouraging you to get creative with what you have learned.

User Info Menu

Welcome to the Forum!

Member Pete Sklaroff is an excellent (and very patient!) teacher who can help you get where you want to go! Highly recommended for any level.

Marc

User Info Menu

I am doing private lessons online with Richie Hart. He is a great teacher. He has been teaching for 40 or so years and has a well honed program. He is an authority on Wes.

HOME | Richie Hart Jazz
    Last edited by Kevin; 01-02-2022 at 09:24 AM.

User Info Menu

A great source is Matt Warnock below. The group is a jazz learning group with focus on a jazz standard every month. Matt holds a workshop every tues to focus
    on some aspect of the tune, comping, scales, soloing etc. Every thurs there are office hours where members end in questions on pretty much everything. Every day there are multi level assignments that delve into the tune helping to clarify, simplify and reinforce aspects of the melody harmony etc. In addition Matt answers mail etc and is available for individual lessons, which go outside the cost of the group membership. There is so much info, and no one can absorb it all, but everyone gets some and over time progress is very visible. I don´t know costs but they should be found below, otherwise mail and ask. Great place to get lots of well organized and presented reference material and active teaching regardless of level, but particularly for a beginner. Enjoy your journey!

Homepage | Matt Warnock Guitar