The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Posts 26 to 36 of 36

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Lionelsax
    he failed little things then with these failures he made great music.
    I like that he does not care much about these little things... this rawness is a part of his style too.

Funny also that he drops off his shoes and plays in socks to manipulate his Boomerang)))

And I thought some unknown player would not get away with that)) but
    'What is permissible for Jupiter, may not be permissible for a bull'

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I have to watch Scofield, didn't know about his looper thing!

Playing with a looper can become a thing on its own. In a jazz solo context, I try to keep it minimal, even simpler than the OP does, no bass sounds or other pedals, I just record rhythm guitar and play over it. In solo gigs, you want to spice things up as much as you can, so I try to mix looper and solo tunes, and also do a couple of tunes showcasing the looper, meaning building on it, parts on parts etc..

The two looper Boss pedal is great to consider, since two loops can give you a percussion loop, or just A-B or verse-chorus, making things more interesting.

Pre-recorded loops do work, but I've never been into that, I always play everything live. I've watched concerts from players doing it though, and it didn't bother me, it just becomes a soloing gig.

Generally I consider loopers a great musical tool to use, and it's led me to playing lots of interesting gigs, especially in theater.

Here's two examples, first playing jazz with the small looper, second in theater with the three looper pedal doing the whole thing live with it. (no shoes also ).

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jonah
    I like that he does not care much about these little things... this rawness is a part of his style too.

Funny also that he drops off his shoes and plays in socks to manipulate his Boomerang)))

And I thought some unknown player would not get away with that)) but
    'What is permissible for Jupiter, may not be permissible for a bull'
    Don't forget that people came to see him, when you're a perfect unknown without any kind of talent, you play in front of people who don't really care except if they think it's too loud.
    With a band it's different, it's like a team, everyone congratulates everyone. You can believe it's good even if it's bad or if it's bad, it is not you, it comes from the others or everyone was good except yourself. At the end you have some congratulations even if it didn't sound so good.
    Playing alone in front of people who came to do something else than listening to a moron playing the guitar, is like being naked in front of nones during a mass.

User Info Menu

About bass sound, I decided to play on a 7 string guitar, it can sound like a bass.
    It's a very cheap guitar, it doesn't sound like the Nighthawk but it works.
    I've never tried it in a gig because nothing is happening these last days.
    It's an annoying video but I don't mind, I share it.
    I like being aware of what's really happening, I don't like believing I can when I've never tried it. So I record myself and share.

It's like a testimony, my own shared experience.
    A lot of mistakes.

User Info Menu

Even in gigs like that you can engage the audience. Picture yourself in the audience and play what you would like to hear. Watch how Ron Afiff does it, a favorite player of mine. You can get away with anything really, solo lines, walking bass only, etc, the key is to mix it, and play it with confidence. What a player eh?

User Info Menu

Check out Alter's first clip, the guy is a total soul-blues master!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Lionelsax
    About bass sound, I decided to play on a 7 string guitar, it can sound like a bass.
    It's a very cheap guitar, it doesn't sound like the Nighthawk but it works.
    I've never tried it in a gig because nothing is happening these last days.
    It's an annoying video but I don't mind, I share it.
    I like being aware of what's really happening, I don't like believing I can when I've never tried it. So I record myself and share.

It's like a testimony, my own shared experience.
    A lot of mistakes.
    I have cheap Harley Benton 8 string, I changed the neck pickup to DiMarzion 8 (I should say it was exteremly big difference).
    I like playing around with it and I already figured out some ideas...

I must say it is very different feel than 7 strings. With 7 strings you feel like you just have a 6 string guitar with an additional bass string.
    But with 8 strings it is more like a different instrument..
    I began to look at it from lower strings to higher and those two extra strings are much more integrated in overall tuning of guitar... it is very integral.
    So you do not just think like: it is bass here and those six strings are for melodies or intervals... you have to figure out shapes on 8 - 654 strings or on 875 and other stuff like this..

I do not use it as split hybrid bass + guitar conception... but rather like a baritone guitar with extended high end

One thing I cannot handle is the setup... I am not still sure how to string it properly... and the most important thing...

I noticed that when you play good 6 string with good pickup and amp it is often has more bassy lows than the same note octave lower on the 8 string... it is like it is low pitch but it does not have that much of low end harmonics.

I tried to use pedals like Boss - OC2 but never liked the tone in any mode.
    Mooer Tender Octaver (not Pure Octave) seemed better bass tone to me.

And also my Ditto X4 has that 'half time effect' that drops the loop down one octave. And it makes quite decent tone but you have to record it double time).

I had also sort of crazy idea: to record comping then solo and then new comping for the solo and then new solo for that new comping and so on...
    But it it seems to be too tricky to operate with erasing/recording tracks... and you have to always think that you record some extra bars to give you time for this manipulation..

User Info Menu

I have to watch Scofield, didn't know about his looper thing!
    He's been doing lots of solo gigs lately and also he did some home records with looper - also very straightforward...

On his FB page he anounced also that there is a solo album coming out 2022 (this is besides his new combo projec 'Yankee, Go Home'.

The solo set was open air Moers Festival 2021 video... it was official video on youtube but i cannot find it now.

User Info Menu

Scene: Last show at Wilmar's Playboy Lounge on 63rd and Dan Ryan on the South Side of Chicago. There were only a few patrons left in the small, smoke-filled neighborhood bar and through the dirty picture window that faced the street, a light snow was falling. It was the last song of the night. The tenor sax player walked to the microphone.

Marinero: Ladies and Gents, we want to thank you for coming here tonight to join us on our musical journey . . . we hope you've enjoyed the music and are in a better place . . . So, for the last song of the night, we'd like to feature our guitarist, Alter, playing "Mo' Better Blues." I hope you enjoy . . . and, remember . . . the music is the journey.

The horn section moves slowly to the back of the stage. Alter looks towards the Hammond B3 and then, the bass. The music begins . . . .

Thanks, Alter, for the memories! You took me, briefly, back to another time and place. Love your music and the memories!
    Marinero

User Info Menu

Lionelsax, in general I'm not a fan of this use of looping, but that's not really the problem with that performance. The problem is that your guitar playing is not at a gig-ready level yet. There's no music there; you're just stumbling and noodling.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by John A.
    Lionelsax, in general I'm not a fan of this use of looping, but that's not really the problem with that performance. The problem is that your guitar playing is not at a gig-ready level yet. There's no music there; you're just stumbling and noodling.
    I do agree with you since you've got more experience in that skill.