The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 16 of 16

User Info Menu

Has anyone had any experience with Jens Larson Jazz Guitar Roadmap lessons?

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Hi Steve,
    I'm not familiar with his "Roadmap" lessons, but Jens has a ton of videos on youtube. Watch a few and see what you think. I like his stuff, seems to be a very good teacher. ..he used to hang out here, when he had more time.

-best,
    Mike

Yes, he does a pretty professional job of presenting material. Just enough detail to hold your attention, but not too much that it’s boring. He seems to focus on basic questions jazz guitarists usually ask concerning improvisation, so the videos are useful for dipping into. If he now has a comprehensive course, I’m sure it will be worth checking out.

User Info Menu

In going over the related student forum for Jens 'jazz guitar road map', it seems a lot of students don't make it beyond lesson 3. This is typical of any course, and of no a real concern for me.

I don't know Jens, but I do know he's from the Netherlands. I am english Canadian (eh). So, while Jens speaks english well, when he gives written feedback in english, does he understand the tone of what he is saying?

There is no doubt Jens is a very good 'bebop' jazz guitarist. My concern is on the teaching side - just because someone is good at something does not make them a good teacher. The ability to provide constructive feedback/criticism without pissing off a student is trick and sometimes unavoidable - depending on the student. A student must be able to take criticism.

I beleive that 'ya got to get your butt kicked a few times'.

So, in my quest for 'offbeat' perfection, i'll transcribe some Grant Green solos and see if it rubs off to improve my own solos.

User Info Menu

I haven't tried the roadmap, but I've bought some of Jens individual online lessons as well as his Modern Jazz book and I think it's good stuff. I really like his free YouTube videos too. My guess is the roadmap is similar to his other course material, just better organized along a pathway of learning. You could buy one of his courses, they're pretty affordable, to try it out. I wouldn't read too much into other people not completing it... it's easy to get distracted nowadays. Does he have a free trial period?

Side bar... I'm also a fellow Canadian and happen to be Halifax resident.

User Info Menu

Hi Steve,

Let me just clarify a few things:

1. It is actually not true that most people don't make it past chapter 3. Most people who post in the community actually go through the whole thing and 2/3 of the students go through all the material with or without using the community. If you look at online courses that is a pretty a high percentage (which I happen to be quite proud of).

2. I am not Dutch, but I am glad you think I am a good bebop guitar player

3. If I was paying for education then I would prefer my teacher to be clear and honest above vague and polite. If I say something to a student and have to repeat it several times because it is not getting across or gets ignored then I will re-phrase the message and gradually get more and more direct. That may become too direct, but I think it is better that you learn something and get annoyed instead of not getting anywhere while thinking everything is fine.

That is how I think about this.

If there is something in my feedback that you want clarified or wish to discuss then you can always reply to the comments or even send me an e-mail. Direct and clear communication is also better at resolving issues like this.

Does that help explain it?

Jens

User Info Menu

Hey LifeonJazz, and fellow bluenoser

Yes, the roadmap has a trial period. Altho i didn't notice its duration, likely 30 days.

User Info Menu

Hello Jens,

Understand, that I was not successful in obtaining 3rd party arms length reviews with respect to the 'roadmap' outside of the testimonials on the roadmap website.

Hence my queries here.

Notwithstanding, everything that I have heard here has been nothing but positive.

Cheers

User Info Menu

I don't personally know Jens... but I remember when he was on this forum. I liked him... seem like good player and open to becoming better and helping others etc...

I've also checked out some of his you tube vids. I think his vids are great for helping guitarist get to a technical and mental level to start performing jazz. By that, I mean you'll get to a level of playing... that you can begin to start having a playing style of your own. (playing in a jazz style isn't copying or playing what you have rehearsed).

The other side... he is trying to make $ right... what do you expect.

User Info Menu

Ah, publish or perish

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Reg
    I don't personally know Jens... but I remember when he was on this forum. I liked him... seem like good player and open to becoming better and helping others etc...

I've also checked out some of his you tube vids. I think his vids are great for helping guitarist get to a technical and mental level to start performing jazz. By that, I mean you'll get to a level of playing... that you can begin to start having a playing style of your own. (playing in a jazz style isn't copying or playing what you have rehearsed).

The other side... he is trying to make $ right... what do you expect.
    Thank you Reg! I really appreciate that

Jens

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by JensL
    Hi Steve,

Let me just clarify a few things:

1. It is actually not true that most people don't make it past chapter 3. Most people who post in the community actually go through the whole thing and 2/3 of the students go through all the material with or without using the community. If you look at online courses that is a pretty a high percentage (which I happen to be quite proud of).

2. I am not Dutch, but I am glad you think I am a good bebop guitar player

3. If I was paying for education then I would prefer my teacher to be clear and honest above vague and polite. If I say something to a student and have to repeat it several times because it is not getting across or gets ignored then I will re-phrase the message and gradually get more and more direct. That may become too direct, but I think it is better that you learn something and get annoyed instead of not getting anywhere while thinking everything is fine.

That is how I think about this.

If there is something in my feedback that you want clarified or wish to discuss then you can always reply to the comments or even send me an e-mail. Direct and clear communication is also better at resolving issues like this.

Does that help explain it?

Jens
    Jens, do you have any thoughts on the time commitment required. I am a working stiff with some young children. If I spend 30 minutes a day on guitar I am lucky.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by charlieparker
    Jens, do you have any thoughts on the time commitment required. I am a working stiff with some young children. If I spend 30 minutes a day on guitar I am lucky.
    That depends on where you are at now of course, but at most it is a question of just taking a bit longer with some of the sections. To be honest, I think most people will move faster and slower through different parts of the course anyway

Jens

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by JensL
    Thank you Reg! I really appreciate that

Jens
    Just callin it like I see and hear it...

User Info Menu

I am not really a jazz guitar guy. But there are times when the jazz world is helpful to me in pursuing the way I play guitar (not at a particularly high level). This is mostly when I was/am exploring specific areas that intersect with the jazz guitar world like the use of scales in practice, questions about modes, and so on. Finding answers to these questions often led me to Jens' Youtube video's (and to many others as well).

Based on what I saw in Youtube land there is nothing out there better than Jens 'stuff'. If a more formal/structured dive into jazz guitar ever became an interest, anything from Jens would be very high on my short list.

dave

User Info Menu

For those considering enrolling, Jens has a 20% off Black Friday deal for his roadmap course right now.

The Jazz Guitar Roadmap