The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Posts 51 to 75 of 97

User Info Menu

Jazz guitar is harder than jazz piano, IMO. I gave up on jazz guitar, geographically nothing looked harmonically right on the neck.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rintincop
    Jazz guitar is harder than jazz piano, IMO. I gave up on jazz guitar, geographically nothing looked harmonically right on the neck.
    It can be harder unless you learn your neck, most people only know the two lower strings but the more important to learn are DGBE strings.
    Last year I was planning to buy an accordion because I had the same feeling until I assumed that I could play the guitar.
    It's a nice instrument, don't be intimidated, if you play the piano, your guitar playing should be better.
    Jazz guitar has not to be thought like a guitar or not entirely.
    I might be wrong, it remains a guitar.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Lionelsax
    It can be harder unless you learn your neck, most people only know the two lower strings but the more important to learn are DGBE strings.
    Last year I was planning to buy an accordion because I had the same feeling until I assumed that I could play the guitar.
    It's a nice instrument, don't be intimidated, if you play the piano, your guitar playing should be better.
    Jazz guitar has not to be thought like a guitar or not entirely.
    I might be wrong, it remains a guitar.
    The guitar is a very difficult instrument, but I don't want to scare anyone with this opinion.
    Everyone can see for themselves.

User Info Menu

If comping is a must and improv is a plus, I'd start working on solid comping (I consider comping to be improv too by the way, just with more than single line notes).

Sign up on Truefire and start with the comping survival course by Fareed Hacque. That course changed my life on guitar.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Joeontheguitar
    If comping is a must and improv is a plus, I'd start working on solid comping (I consider comping to be improv too by the way, just with more than single line notes).

Sign up on Truefire and start with the comping survival course by Fareed Hacque. That course changed my life on guitar.
    Comping, that's important !
    I am personally in love with my own comping, I worked a lot to get this skill, my level is wannabe, not beginner but advanced.

User Info Menu

I also gave up on guitar. I learned it because I like rock/pop a lot and guitar is much more suited for that. So I thought I would stick to guitar as my main ax and cover rock and jazz. I wasn't as good at it tho compared to keys and my finger started to hurt. So I thought may as well focus on jazz keys and maybe a little pop keys since I'm most talented at that. There are advantages to both instruments, but I take more to keys. Guitar is wonderfully bluesy and you can get natural soulful melodies going, but traumatizing your left hand to chord is much harder. I love being able to play bass, chord, and melody on Hammond.

User Info Menu

Is the op even here? Yes, it is that hard. You have to fuckin practice that shit. Memorize the tune, run all the scales and arps in time. You gotta be able to flow over the changes. It's not gonna happen if you don't practice it like crazy.

We don't rise to the level of our expectations, we fall to the level of our training.

User Info Menu

get band in a box....you have over 100 solos in it all related to standards...what about scales you ask..what about them......come back in a years time.....good luck...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by RunningBeagle

RB, by the way, I think your kid is utterly brilliant, just oozing with talent. She's going places

User Info Menu

If learning to play the guitar well were that easy, everyone would be an expert.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Doug B
    If learning to play the guitar well were that easy, everyone would be an expert.
    Here, everyone is an expert anyway.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ragman1
    RB, by the way, I think your kid is utterly brilliant, just oozing with talent. She's going places
    Ha - thanks! You know when you start picking your nose in the middle of a performance you've got a certain presence.

User Info Menu

There's a strange construct working here that wasn't, generally, present when I began playing music in the early 60's. Namely, most musicians I knew didn't start playing an instrument with the idea "I'm going to play Jazz," but rather-- I want to learn to play x, y, or z. And, those of my friends who eventually became Jazzers' started in other genres: R@R, Soul, Blues, Funk, and after becoming skilled in those forms began transitioning to Jazz. The secret of this "transition" is that your musical skills became progressive and you didn't attempt to climb Mt. Everest before climbing your local toboggan hill during Winter. Jazz, like Classical Music, is not a commodity to be purchased with expensive guitars, how-to books/videos, or a simple desire to play the music. And, like the hip Discos of the 70's/80's, it doesn't let everyone in at the door. So, my advice after a lifetime of music is become functional on the instrument and begin playing as soon as possible with other LIVE MUSICIANS. Learn two sets of songs(not one or two) and maybe 20 years later the bouncer will say: "Hey, Joe . . . wanna come in?"
    Marinero

User Info Menu

Yeah as someone who has played both since a kid, but started on piano, I feel like I've only recently learned to exploit the guitar's own nature. The keyboard layout makes absolute notes obvious. The fretboard on the other hand not so, but it does enable finding relative intervals. (A big factor in why so many guitarists play by ear, not by notation.)

I like Tom Quayle's approach, which is to key off of the nearest root of the chord (yes you must know the fretboard well enough for this), and then find notes by their functional interval (i.e. the minor 3rd of the chord, not the absolute minor 3rd interval), within the octave above or below that root note. The biggest challenge is "updating" which chord root is your reference as you move around. (Note the visualized root could be on any string, not just the bottom two.) It has become more natural and automatic for me with practice, and I find that I move a lot more freely around the neck, not being stuck in position as much.
    Last edited by timmer; 12-17-2021 at 02:48 PM.

User Info Menu

I’m 60 years old and started playing guitar little over 3 years ago. I played rock in 70s, but had almost 40 years break.

I took weekly lessons for the first 2 years and now biweekly meet with professional jazz guitarist.
    We mainly go through tunes (harmony, impro, chord melody).

I applied a year ago on University of Arts Helsinki, Open University a 2 semester long jazz band playing and improvisation workshop. Did not get in. I practiced even harder last year and got in this fall. Love our weekly 2 hour sessions.

Jazz is hard and requires purposive practice. There is no short cut IMHO…

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by VesaW
    I’m 60 years old and started playing guitar little over 3 years ago. I played rock in 70s, but had almost 40 years break.

I took weekly lessons for the first 2 years and now biweekly meet with professional jazz guitarist.

I applied a year ago on University of Arts Helsinki, Open University a 2 semester long jazz band playing and improvisation workshop. Did not get in. I practiced even harder last year and got in this fall. Love our weekly 2 hour sessions.

May everyone be as serious about the jazz guitar as you are.
    Congrats.
    Best
    Kris

User Info Menu

ive dropped out of jazz guitar for the winter...playing Hauptwerk virtual organ..samples from the greatest organs around the world..Zipoli, Frescobaldi , Bach, Handel.Purcell.....et al...spiritual trip...very much

User Info Menu

You wrote this post a month ago. Can you give an update (sorry if you did, but there's numerous pages to look through)?

User Info Menu

"There is no short cut...." True, dat!

User Info Menu

What if they discovered a shortcut? It would be like the Northwest Passage. We would all be sitting on our hands, feeling foolish.

Quote Originally Posted by eh6794-2.0
    You wrote this post a month ago. Can you give an update (sorry if you did, but there's numerous pages to look through)?
    Yes, here I am with a bit more than a month of practicing this stuff...:

Worked a lot on the arpeggios and I can do rather well...improvising in 1 position on the top 3 strings and changing to the closest scale note when the chord changes... I took a bit of time but I am fully happy now...
    The thing is I do NOT feel completely free because I have to think A LOT about the changes and there is all this theory in my head while playing...but I am confident that with time this will change.

I started doing the same stuff in another position and the advantage is that it goes a lot quicker from now on!!

I applied this exercise to some jazz blues standards...works great!!

Thanks for your input!!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rsoby
    Yes, here I am with a bit more than a month of practicing this stuff...:

Worked a lot on the arpeggios and I can do rather well...improvising in 1 position on the top 3 strings and changing to the closest scale note when the chord changes... I took a bit of time but I am fully happy now...
    The thing is I do NOT feel completely free because I have to think A LOT about the changes and there is all this theory in my head while playing...but I am confident that with time this will change.

I started doing the same stuff in another position and the advantage is that it goes a lot quicker from now on!!

I applied this exercise to some jazz blues standards...works great!!

Thanks for your input!!
    glad that you are making progress. It’s amazing where you can get with a bit of regular work.

I think it’s worth knowing that not all combinations of chords are equally common. You then prioritise the ones that come up most frequently, major and minor ii V I’d being a celebrated example.

User Info Menu

I have been taking lessons with one of the finest manouche guitarists in the world. We've been working together for going on a year and half. He tells me something frequently: You can't build a tree.

To me, this means that you cultivate growth of your abilities over many months and many years, not days or weeks. It takes time for a redwood to reach it's tallest heights, so too does something like being a skilled musician.

User Info Menu

I've just read a post on Facebook from a story that Joe Diorio told, he was playing at the same club out east where Pat Martino happen to be playing too. They talked a lot after the gig and Joe ended up at Pat's hotel room playing with him for hours. At about 4:00am Joe told Pat I'm gonna go and sleep a few hours and I will pick you up and take you to breakfast; Joe came back hours later that morning and found Pat sitting on the same place on the bed he had been sitting, still with his guitar and playing. A lot of people say " Oh he was a genius, " or "He was inherently talented," the truth of it is that Pat practiced for hours and hours on end, but only those close to him knew that. There are no shortcuts, you really must put in the time into the instrument (in a smart way) in order to get "good" at it.
    Wes Montgomery would practice no less than 3-5 hours a day or more even when he was on tour. Are some people going to pick things up faster? YES! But it doesn't mean that they don't have to put in less work, everyone has a different way to understand and process information. I think a lot of guitar players shy away from Jazz because many instructors make things so difficult to understand and they figure out, maybe this is not for me...

Cheers,
    Arnie...
    Last edited by arnie65; 01-10-2022 at 01:02 AM.

User Info Menu

Curious how much time every day, or if days vary, every week are you practicing?