The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 9101112 LastLast
Posts 251 to 275 of 295

User Info Menu

Here's what I've been up to since my last post on Nov. 20.

1. Review
    • Chapter 1
    • Minor and major blues licks. Still need to get the stock moves under my fingers.
    • Minor and major blues scales in different areas of the neck.
    • Mimi Fox's major blues solo in Bb (two choruses).

2. Detours
    • Shell voicings. Spending some time with Charlton Johnson's Swing & Big Band Guitar book.

3. Recorded the Sample Basic Blues Solo (Example 20)
    • Key: Bb | BPM: 110
    • Played it straight for now.

On to the 7b9 Pentatonic Scale Fingerings (Page 41)!

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jona
    Making a bit of progress, recorded a backing track in G and had a go at developing a solo based on arpeggios and also using a couple of the minor blues scale riffs. This is 'warts and all', evidently not striving for perfection here, I find the recording process difficult, but I can see the benefits.
    Very nice, indeed. I think the control which you mentioned a post or two later is very evident - and is a very good thing. And although I believe there's a body of opinion that says we should simply let go when improvising and let all the years of training and our subconscious and inner-musician take over, I've never been able to do that. I too prefer that element of control and knowing exactly what I'm playing, and why, and over what. So your playing was well appreciated here :-)

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by losaltosjoe
    Here's what I've been up to since my last post on Nov. 20.

1. Review
    • Chapter 1
    • Minor and major blues licks. Still need to get the stock moves under my fingers.
    • Minor and major blues scales in different areas of the neck.
    • Mimi Fox's major blues solo in Bb (two choruses).

2. Detours
    • Shell voicings. Spending some time with Charlton Johnson's Swing & Big Band Guitar book.

3. Recorded the Sample Basic Blues Solo (Example 20)
    • Key: Bb | BPM: 110
    • Played it straight for now.

On to the 7b9 Pentatonic Scale Fingerings (Page 41)!
    That's a lovely little version of that solo, Joe. Well played. Sounding tight and fine!

I've been neglecting this process, I'm afraid. Partly because I ruined several finger tips trying (and failing) to so some plumbing so I'm struggling to play at the moment. Partly because it's been a particularly busy period. But those are just excuses. I've also taken a detour or two - the first one has been to look at the download that I bought (at the same time as the PDF we're working through) of Easy Guide to Chord Melody. There's a section in this book that build on the chord work we did in chapter one of our PDF and I've actually been looking at that. I still have a niggling feel that this side of things (chords, basically) might be a better area of study than single note playing for me (although a basic ability to solo over changes is still on my "wants" list). I also have the Big Band Swing book you mention and I think it's a wonderful book. Secondly, I've been working on some ragtime fingerpicking, which really is a full on detour. Nevertheless, I will get back on track soon - you and Jona have inspired me.

Derek

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by digger
    That's a lovely little version of that solo, Joe. Well played. Sounding tight and fine!
    Thank you.

I've been neglecting this process, I'm afraid. Partly because I ruined several finger tips trying (and failing) to so some plumbing so I'm struggling to play at the moment.
    Plumbing is tough work. Hope you're back playing soon.

I've also taken a detour or two - the first one has been to look at the download that I bought (at the same time as the PDF we're working through) of Easy Guide to Chord Melody. There's a section in this book that build on the chord work we did in chapter one of our PDF and I've actually been looking at that. I still have a niggling feel that this side of things (chords, basically) might be a better area of study than single note playing for me (although a basic ability to solo over changes is still on my "wants" list). I also have the Big Band Swing book you mention and I think it's a wonderful book. Secondly, I've been working on some ragtime fingerpicking, which really is a full on detour.
    Yes. Beware of detours. Ironically, this study group is a big detour for me as I was working on putting together a Chord Melody repertoire (including relearning some Christmas tunes). BUT... I have always wanted to spend some time learning jazz blues, so this study group was too good an opportunity to pass up.

Nevertheless, I will get back on track soon - you and Jona have inspired me.
    Great. Please keep posting!

User Info Menu

Inspired by the idea of being in control (as mentioned above) this is my latest attempt for the group...

I've had a look at the next few pages and tried to learn the three Kenny Burrell licks (as well as the three licks already "learned"). I've then put them into a very simple 12 bar sequence - none of those fancy chords, this time. The idea being that I will be able to hear how these six licks sound over the basic harmony more easily this way.

Interestingly I worked the licks out by ear and missed some of the notes - I simply can't hear them (even after reading the tab). So I've continued to omit these notes on my version of these licks. I also got the position wrong on one lick, but again, we're meant to be learning them in different positions anyway.

On the bars 9/10 of the sequence I've dropped in some lines that simply run the arpeggios of the V and IV chords (again, inspired by others in this thread).

Major blues scales next, if my sneaky look ahead was right...

Cheers
    Derek
    Last edited by digger; 12-01-2021 at 02:46 PM.

User Info Menu

Inspired by the idea of being in control (as mentioned above) this is my latest attempt for the group...

Major blues scales next, if my sneaky look ahead was right...
    Cheers
    Derek
    Great job Derek. You turned the minor licks into real music! You definitely have a feel for the blues. Looking forward to see what you do with the major scales.

User Info Menu

I am enjoying the posts of solos. Like losaltosjoe, I am introducing other materials into this journey.

My main focus is single-note soloing, although I am also working on the harmony as well, including a Blues in Bb, which shares many of the same chords as the Blues in F.

Fep would know about the connecting game from the Jazz Blues Soloing book by Elliott. That is basically what I am doing to a backing track, connecting chords by coming in on chord tones. It is tedious, but can be a little fun, too.

I am also trying to master the Major Blues Scale.

User Info Menu

I've started looking at the major scale section. First deviation for me is I'm going to stick with the fingerings I know. I see little point, after all these years, of learning different scale shapes. My philosophy on major scales has always been (1) to play around the major chord shapes and (b) to re-use the 5 minor pentatonics - just shift a minor third up (i.e when wanting an F major pentatonic scale I just use the D minor pentatonic shape with a change of focus on keynotes).

Anyway, that aside, I've been working on the three major scale licks. Probably won't post a video of just these three - I'm filling my computer up with these videos. But will do another when I get to something a bit more interesting...

Cheers
    Derek

User Info Menu

I've started looking at the major scale section. First deviation for me is I'm going to stick with the fingerings I know. I see little point, after all these years, of learning different scale shapes. My philosophy on major scales has always been (1) to play around the major chord shapes and (b) to re-use the 5 minor pentatonics - just shift a minor third up (i.e when wanting an F major pentatonic scale I just use the D minor pentatonic shape with a change of focus on keynotes).

Anyway, that aside, I've been working on the three major scale licks. Probably won't post a video of just these three - I'm filling my computer up with these videos. But will do another when I get to something a bit more interesting...

Cheers
    Derek
    I'm in a similar place, interesting comment about scale shapes etc. I've just had covid booster and about to head off for a week's holiday, so not contributing much but still here and determind to make progress!
    Jon

User Info Menu

Just checking in.

I get a lot of ups and downs when I bear down on my musical goals. Right now, I am still just trying to make the pentatonic shapes that the book gives sound decent.

I had a little bit of a breakthrough after doing some extended listening to some Jazz Blues songs that I like. Instead of noodling/running up and down the shapes in different areas of the fretboard, I started using less notes and targeting the tones that I like.

My spirits were lifted as I was finally starting to feel like I was making progress. Ah, the highs and lows of this journey. I am finding that listening to someone before I play is of great use. Also, having a main theme or melody of which I play, is also helping.

User Info Menu

Here's what I've been up to since my last post on November 27.

1. Created a playlist on Spotify for the "10 Beginner Blues Tunes You Should Know" (page 51).
    • I was not familiar with many of these songs.

2. More Review
    • Licks and scales for Minor, Major, and D7b9

3. Detours
    • Shell voicings. Still spending some time with Charlton Johnson's Swing & Big Band Guitar book.
    • Peter Rogine: I-IV-V triads:

4. Recorded the Sample Jazz Blues Solo (Example 27, page 48) in F.
    • Played it straight at 100 BPM.
    • Transposing this example to Bb is proving problematic. I can't seem to find the right fingerings.

I am trying to get through Chapter 2 by the end of 2021.

Cheers.

User Info Menu

I've neglected these, and other, studies a bit recently. Life has suddenly got very busy and cluttered - that pre-Xmas period. Hopefully will settle down again soon.

One thing that did please me was that without having to think about it I've found myself dropping ii-vs and even vi-ii-vs into my finger picking blues improvisations, so something from chapter one has stuck, at least!

Derek

User Info Menu

I've neglected these, and other, studies a bit recently. Life has suddenly got very busy and cluttered - that pre-Xmas period. Hopefully will settle down again soon.

One thing that did please me was that without having to think about it I've found myself dropping ii-vs and even vi-ii-vs into my finger picking blues improvisations, so something from chapter one has stuck, at least!

Derek
    It has gotten very busy here as well. Four days without practice. But, like you, at least some of this stuff is sinking in.

I couple of weeks ago, I recorded myself comping and then improvising on a little Jazz Blues song. It is fraught with mistakes, even to my untrained ear, so I debating whether or not to post it. I stuck with using mixing Major and Minor Blues Scales on it, although I am practicing the "pretty" arpeggio based improvising method with a goal of being able to mix all the approaches and pull out some nice melodies.

Thanks and Happy Holiday Season to all.

User Info Menu

Nice job on that video Joe of Los Altos.

I've got to get back on this horse, that is this course of course. Hopefully, I'll get a video out soon and now I'm off to crack the book, I'm at the Major Blues Scale fingering in chapter 2.

Cheers all...

User Info Menu

And, I made the licks from pages 32 & 33 into a melody (changed them a little).

User Info Menu

That was a real treat, fep!

User Info Menu

Here is a quick comping practice that I recorded a couple weeks ago. I brought up to the tempo.

(There is also an example of my trying to solo over it. I recorded it around the same time. It is too embarrassing to post here on the site so you will have to find it as part of my soundcloud tracks, if you are curious. When I get some time, I will show my progress in another recording, soon)

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by fep
    And, I made the licks from pages 32 & 33 into a melody (changed them a little).
    I always enjoy how you turn these exercises into music Frank! Well done as always.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by AlsoRan
    Here is a quick comping practice that I recorded a couple weeks ago. I brought up to the tempo.
    I really enjoyed that AlsoRan! Rock solid. Thanks for posting it.

User Info Menu

AlsoRan, great job comping on that track.

User Info Menu

I finally got a couple of soloing takes that were OK. I can hear that I need to speed it up, as it drags a little. I know my dynamics need work as well.
    Feel free to critique. I don't have much of an ego to bruise, especially when its true.

Lots of work to do.

Stream JGO Solo #2 and Comp by Odapain | Listen online for free on SoundCloud
    Last edited by AlsoRan; 12-15-2021 at 08:47 PM.

User Info Menu

I liked that a lot, and I don't hear dragging. If anything I hear a little pushing in spots, like the soloist in you wants to go a tad faster than the rhythm section.

Other than that, maybe bring the rhythm section down and the lead guitar up a bit, in the mix. You/he's the big shot, right?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Donplaysguitar
    I liked that a lot, and I don't hear dragging. If anything I hear a little pushing in spots, like the soloist in you wants to go a tad faster than the rhythm section.

Other than that, maybe bring the rhythm section down and the lead guitar up a bit, in the mix. You/he's the big shot, right?
    Thanks, a lot. Very informative and makes sense.

User Info Menu

I love lots of “jazz blues” players on piano and organ. Who are some of the best guitarists in this genre?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Kirk Garrett
    I love lots of “jazz blues” players on piano and organ. Who are some of the best guitarists in this genre?
    I immediately think of Grant Green and Kenny Burrell. Although I am pretty sure Wes Montgomery, George Benson, and Pat Martino have these types of recordings.