The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Posts 51 to 75 of 295

User Info Menu

Ok, my wife has popped down to the shop so a quick take of what you can do with those shapes. This is example 5.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by AlsoRan
    Until I get things straightened out, I will have to go to my laptop to be sure, but I think that when I first bought the course, maybe around 2015, I got confused at some of the language. Rob M has cleared up a couple of questions that I had at the time, and I guess still had. Specifically, when the text said something like V7b9 /iim7, I did not know what the heck that meant. Now, I do.

Still, I can see that in book one, although I have the chord progressions all mastered, it is starting to look as though the soloing part, where it recommends various scales for the chords, is where I will get bogged down. I just don't see how I can learn to improvise over all the different progressions without a lot of playing - certainly a year of dedication, with my schedule.

So I am thinking that I will take each progression, one-by-one, make a little recording, and then hammer away with the different recommendations. There is no way to avoid the work, I see. But, that's OK. At least it gives a good framework within to work. I have my favorite scales and arps that I use, but I have never gotten proficient at chasing the changes as some of the recommendations in the book spell out. Should be fun.
    When it comes to the soloing part I am thinking as follows:

1. One can spend years before they sound like a compelling improvisor - so let's not do that.

2. Play solos as expertly or as modestly as we can. Play with a slow backing track if need be.

3. The idea is to get a flavor of the scale, arpeggio, or patterns and come up with a little something of your own - then move on! If you have to cheat a little bit and memorize your best solo - so be it.

4. This approach is NOT about learning 25 solos and 250 jazz patterns before attempting 5-10 notes of improvised jazz blues. This is about learning a little bit, trying to assimilate it a little, and coming up with a little something that is conceptually correct.

5. After all - (a) There is practice advice in the course that one can spend more time on as one goes forward, and (b) not every scale or idea will necessarily become your "go to" source anyway. There are many other choices to explore down the line.

So have fun and give it your best but don't get bogged down by reaching for total mastery.

User Info Menu

Backing tracks to page 9 and page 11, three tempos each, 100 120 140bpm, six tracks:

Box

User Info Menu

Page 11 140bpm. I used my Godin Multiac nylon guitar fingerpicked, just the piezo with no EQ, added a little reverb to it. I think it has a pretty good sound for this four-to-the-floor style.

User Info Menu

Okay. Bought the book and will try to hang in. Working on Page 9: The Basic Chord Progression in different keys.

User Info Menu

Rob,

You (and Liarspoker and Don) have me rethinking my approach here. I love to comp, and this is an excellent chance to practice transposing to different keys. It would also be very beneficial to apply these shapes to various other songs and practice them.

Comping is so important.

Thanks

User Info Menu

I wonder, when transposing these patterns to different keys, do you maintain an awareness of what chord you're on? Does it matter?

What I mean, is us guitar players can turn off the brain and simply apply patterns. I'm trying to get away from that, but it's quite easy to do it without even realising. Take the final version of the blues, with the quick change and the ii-V and the diminished passing chords. I've been playing it in all keys, but by the time I get to, say, Db or Ab, the pattern is so ingrained I end up doing it without being aware of what chords I'm playing - they're simply geometrical patterns. I guess its just a matter of concentration.

Derek

User Info Menu

How about a few minutes of the master...I think this video (aside from being massively brilliant) is a great supporting resource for chapter one. Not only is Freddie Green's guitar high enough in the mix that you can really hear those chords, he's sat right behind Diane Schuur and thus you can see him, too. Travelling Light (9:20) has a number of choruses throughout that are just bass/guitar or bass/piano/guitar so on that tune you can really experience the master of the rhythm guitar. I did read Freddie Green passed away just four days after this recording on March 1, 1987.

User Info Menu

Derek, thanks for the FG video, which I hadn’t seen before.

Regarding your post previous to that:

In soloing I am definitely more conscious of intervals as opposed to note names. If I want to hear a 9th, say, against a chord, I know where to find that - but the hearing comes first.

But you really asked in the context of comping. I think it’s essential to know what chords you are playing, for the primary reason that you might be given the nod to solo on those chords at any moment. You don’t want to hesitate, wondering “wtf have I just been playing?!” LOL.

So, chord names, their Roman numeral identifiers, what key you start in, interval designations: they all get added to the mix. Oh, as well as channeling the sun god, Ra, if that’s your thing!

User Info Menu

Oh yes, I know what key I'm in and I understand the Roman numerals - but what I meant was in the midst of a tune as the fingers jump to one of those passing chords how much knowledge of that chord is sitting in your awareness at that moment? I think I probably need to start saying the chord names, and maybe naming that chord's intervals as I play it. Do this enough and I'll be as quick to call out the chords in a jazz blues in Gb as I am Me and Bobby McGee in C...

User Info Menu

Yes, calling out loud chord changes - or indeed scale/arpeggio notes/intervals - helps reinforce what you are doing. It also helps keep you awake: I yawn a lot these days, and not just during my practice sessions

User Info Menu

Are we still staying with chapter 1? I don't mind if we do

Would be great to see some vids of people playing as that's a good test if you know the material or not.

Thanks to fep for his vid and backing contributions.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by digger
    How about a few minutes of the master...I think this video (aside from being massively brilliant) is a great supporting resource for chapter one. Not only is Freddie Green's guitar high enough in the mix that you can really hear those chords, he's sat right behind Diane Schuur and thus you can see him, too. Travelling Light (9:20) has a number of choruses throughout that are just bass/guitar or bass/piano/guitar so on that tune you can really experience the master of the rhythm guitar. I did read Freddie Green passed away just four days after this recording on March 1, 1987.

I could see the video how Freddie leans the top of the guitar towards him, thereby being able to mute Strings 1 - 3 much better. I try to have my fingers tips angled 90 degrees into the fretboard, which can affect my muting ability, and forcing me to be very accurate with my pick as to not inadvertently come down to far on my downstroke and hit an extra string.

Thanks for video.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Liarspoker

Would be great to see some vids of people playing as that's a good test if you know the material or not.

A big "Thanks" definitely goes out to fep! I wish I had time to do that piano study group with him, but my hands and brain are full!

User Info Menu

You folks are talking about other keys, so, I put drum tracks in the folder, same as the page 11 blues files except just drums, 100 120 140 bpm. Have at it.

Box

User Info Menu

I'm on page 40 so I guess that's chapter 2. Hope to make some recordings soon.

For chapter 1 I'm just going with the last comping example (page 16) since it has all the chords in it. YMMV

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Donplaysguitar
    I'm on page 40 so I guess that's chapter 2. Hope to make some recordings soon.

For chapter 1 I'm just going with the last comping example (page 16) since it has all the chords in it. YMMV
    Previous study groups that I've been involved in normally move by a select number of pages per week.

Maybe we could follow that format here as well so that everyone stays together.

fep has been the main organiser of the other groups that I've been involved with and I've found him to be a good judge of study group speed. Maybe he can have some input as per amount of material to learn per week.

I skimmed through all of book 1. Looks like I'll be learning loads

User Info Menu

This isn't as easy as it looks. I found it hard to remain steady through 3 choruses. More time with the metronome is needed for sure.

Key: F | BPM: 120

Key: A | BPM: 120

I am a slow and methodical learner, so I expect to spend some time with Chapter 1. Please don't let me slow you down.

User Info Menu

Previous study groups that I've been involved in normally move by a select number of pages per week.

fep has been the main organiser of the other groups that I've been involved with and I've found him to be a good judge of study group speed. Maybe he can have some input as per amount of material to learn per week.

I skimmed through all of book 1. Looks like I'll be learning loads
    Sounds great to me.

User Info Menu

Good tempo too, Joe.

User Info Menu

I’m not sure that will be possible with this group, as a few have been playing at least the minor blues scale for years. Swing jazz tends to prefer the major blues scale, but even there it’s the same patterns three frets away. And a few players already have the three-note shell voicings in their fingers.

So I can’t see us all moving at the same rate. Even if we did, some of us need more time with some of the chapters, but would be pressured to move on before they should.

It’s going to prove difficult to keep everyone happy and entertained, but I have no problem hearing uploads or questions from any chapter in either book.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by digger

Well, that is absolutely wonderful. I saw Freddie Green with Count Basie and the Orchestra back in the late 70s. What a great band.

This was also good for me to hear as far as playing the Freddie Green Style. Those first two tunes, he is playing "on top of the beat", can't help but tap my foot, heck it makes me want to dance. (On top of the beat = slightly ahead of the beat).

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by losaltosjoe
    This isn't as easy as it looks. I found it hard to remain steady through 3 choruses. More time with the metronome is needed for sure.

Key: F | BPM: 120

Key: A | BPM: 120

I am a slow and methodical learner, so I expect to spend some time with Chapter 1. Please don't let me slow you down.
    Sound great, both the tone and your performance.

User Info Menu

Ex 6 with pick instead of my usual fingerstyle

F @ 120bpm

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Rob MacKillop
    I’m not sure that will be possible with this group, as a few have been playing at least the minor blues scale for years. Swing jazz tends to prefer the major blues scale, but even there it’s the same patterns three frets away. And a few players already have the three-note shell voicings in their fingers.

So I can’t see us all moving at the same rate. Even if we did, some of us need more time with some of the chapters, but would be pressured to move on before they should.

It’s going to prove difficult to keep everyone happy and entertained, but I have no problem hearing uploads or questions from any chapter in either book.
    Good points. Self pacing is best for some, a defined pace is best for others.

Flexibility for all seems best to me...