The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2101112
Posts 276 to 295 of 295

User Info Menu

I just bought Book 1 and Book 2 and would love to join you guys if it's not too late!

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Bill R
    I just bought Book 1 and Book 2 and would love to join you guys if it's not too late!
    it’s never too late Bill, jump on in!

User Info Menu

Yes Bill, join in. Some of us are moving pretty slow right now, including myself. Shouldn't be hard to catch up.

User Info Menu

Well folks,
    I am going to work on using the licks that the courses teach. I like pretty much all of them.

I even have found myself humming lines throughout the day and before I fall asleep. Man, this stuff can become an addiction for people like me.

In addition to working in the lines, I am going to start chasing the chord tones, but only in the last 9 measures when you get the 2 -5-1 chords hitting you. I will begin with only the D7b9 chord and see how that works. I am thinking the Gmi7 - C7 - F7 might not be as bad since I am familiar with G Dorian and C Mixolydian, which will help me have more notes that I can access.

User Info Menu

Trying to sound Jazzy over that BDim7 and D7b9 has been a challenge, when combined with the Major Blues Scale only.

I have a couple of solos I am gong to learn that uses a lot of Major Blues and the Bdim7 chord as well as the D7b9. I am hoping that the solos will help develop my ear.

Also, LionelSax suggested listening to Charlie Parker so I am doing that too, when I can squeeze it in.

Hope you had a great Christmas and maybe next year we can show some great progress.

User Info Menu

Back to square one for me, I'm afraid.

A week of Christmas stuff and not much playing means I've forgotten it all - even the jazzed-up 12 bar. It'll come back, I know, but this has always been my problem - how to memorise this stuff so it sticks. So chapter one again...

Derek

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by digger

A week of Christmas stuff and not much playing means I've forgotten it all - even the jazzed-up 12 bar. It'll come back, I know, but this has always been my problem - how to memorise this stuff so it sticks. So chapter one again...

Derek
    For me, constant review is a must! Seems like nothing sticks since turning 60 a few years ago...

User Info Menu

I have yet to get started as I'm preparing for a "gig" on January 9th (actually, just with my guitar teacher and some other more advanced students, but I still have work to do to prepare so I don't let myself down). Once that is over, I will be starting on Jazz Blues 1!

User Info Menu

Derek
    I am the same way. I have forgotten so much stuff. Like Losaltosjoe says, "Constant review."

I am really trying to internalize this stuff, and that will take a lot of playing with the backing tracks. I even hum out solos and record them, and then transcribe. Then, I take bits an pieces and reapply them. I am hoping it will work. I pledge to keep going hard for at least three months in the new year (lose a few pounds, too, lol). I feel more determined than ever. Let's see..

User Info Menu

For now, I am working on a different head, and then playing to the full backing track. I am going to ignore the B Diminished chord for now as Ragman suggested in another thread. I will follow the course and use that D7b9 Pentatonic Scale. Also like Ragman says, I am going to try and feel it and enjoy myself.

Funny, I still have some residual learning from the Richie Zellon course I tried a few years ago. I love using Mixolydian over those Dom 7th chords.

I created several diagrams that cover 13 frets, and I use them when I am first learning the particular scale or mode. I slowly get better until I have certain areas memorized pretty well. Its hard to be able to do them all.

Good luck, folks!

User Info Menu

I have been sticking with this thing, although it has been an uphill battle.

Here is a link to some nice Jazz Blues instruction under Jazz Licks/Jazz Blues, available for free on this site. Dirk is a one-man Jazz prophet, spreading the good Jazz word, and these were some nice Jazz licks and theory/explanations, slight more advanced than the volume 1 of the course that we have been looking at. It even discussing the minorization that guys like Wes and Pat use, along with some other "tricks."

Check this out, if you might:

Jazz Blues Guitar Licks & Solos

50 Jazz Guitar Licks
    Last edited by AlsoRan; 02-08-2022 at 04:37 PM.

User Info Menu

AlsoRun, thank you for being a standard bearer. It would be a pity to let this study group sink after all the intentions expressed (although not unusual too ).
    Personally, I still continue grinding the thing - although slowly and inconsistently. I'm viewing is as debt, like that i can't be at peace with myself till I can navigate the jazz blues in all keys with some degree of confidence

User Info Menu

I will get started on this in a couple weeks. My "gig" (really a band composed of other students by our guitar instructor) is on Feb. 20th. After that, I plan to start on Book 1, and I hope there is still a study group!

User Info Menu

I'm not giving up on this either, although it's been a long winter and too many other commitments, work, family, and so on, have scuppered a lot of my focus. Will be back, though...

User Info Menu

I'm not giving up on this either, although it's been a long winter and too many other commitments, work, family, and so on, have scuppered a lot of my focus. Will be back, though...
    I am with you.

It's insidious how you let one or two days pass without practicing this, and those days all too quickly turn into weeks, and then months, and so on.

User Info Menu

I thought I would try and post another solo and comping track. As always, I have been busy. I created this backing track with BIAB, and soloed with some licks (some from the JGO course, as you will hear ). I can hear the clashes in the second solo. Got to keep working and woodshedding when I can.

Thanks for listening.

Just got book one. This is good stuff. Glad to find this thread. I'm also going through the leavitt book (halfway through) and trying to work on some fingerstyle guitar. There's not enough time in the day to do the practicing I want to do.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SedanDelivery2022
    Just got book one. This is good stuff. Glad to find this thread. I'm also going through the leavitt book (halfway through) and trying to work on some fingerstyle guitar. There's not enough time in the day to do the practicing I want to do.
    I know what you mean. I think for most of us, it goes in spurts. For sure, that is my case. But as long as it is fun, and I don't go backwards too badly in between spurts, I am OK>

I left off with Chapter 3, trying to incorporate soloing with chords fragments that the course teaches, 3rds and 7ths, with added chord tones - kind of a solo guitar, but not the highly venerated chord melody style, which is just a long-off dream for me.

I wish you luck, and if you post any questions, there are still more than enough experienced guys and gals on the forum that you will get some answers to sift through.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SedanDelivery2022
    This is an example of what I want to be able to do, comp for myself and solo, which I would call Solo Guitar.

User Info Menu

very nice .. kenny burrell would nod his head...