Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 91011
Posts 251 to 257 of 257

User Info Menu

Here's what I've been up to since my last post on Nov. 20.

1. Review
    • Chapter 1
    • Minor and major blues licks. Still need to get the stock moves under my fingers.
    • Minor and major blues scales in different areas of the neck.
    • Mimi Fox's major blues solo in Bb (two choruses).

2. Detours
    • Shell voicings. Spending some time with Charlton Johnson's Swing & Big Band Guitar book.

3. Recorded the Sample Basic Blues Solo (Example 20)
    • Key: Bb | BPM: 110
    • Played it straight for now.

On to the 7b9 Pentatonic Scale Fingerings (Page 41)!

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jona View Post
    Making a bit of progress, recorded a backing track in G and had a go at developing a solo based on arpeggios and also using a couple of the minor blues scale riffs. This is 'warts and all', evidently not striving for perfection here, I find the recording process difficult, but I can see the benefits.
    Very nice, indeed. I think the control which you mentioned a post or two later is very evident - and is a very good thing. And although I believe there's a body of opinion that says we should simply let go when improvising and let all the years of training and our subconscious and inner-musician take over, I've never been able to do that. I too prefer that element of control and knowing exactly what I'm playing, and why, and over what. So your playing was well appreciated here :-)

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by losaltosjoe View Post
    Here's what I've been up to since my last post on Nov. 20.

1. Review
    • Chapter 1
    • Minor and major blues licks. Still need to get the stock moves under my fingers.
    • Minor and major blues scales in different areas of the neck.
    • Mimi Fox's major blues solo in Bb (two choruses).

2. Detours
    • Shell voicings. Spending some time with Charlton Johnson's Swing & Big Band Guitar book.

3. Recorded the Sample Basic Blues Solo (Example 20)
    • Key: Bb | BPM: 110
    • Played it straight for now.

On to the 7b9 Pentatonic Scale Fingerings (Page 41)!
    That's a lovely little version of that solo, Joe. Well played. Sounding tight and fine!

I've been neglecting this process, I'm afraid. Partly because I ruined several finger tips trying (and failing) to so some plumbing so I'm struggling to play at the moment. Partly because it's been a particularly busy period. But those are just excuses. I've also taken a detour or two - the first one has been to look at the download that I bought (at the same time as the PDF we're working through) of Easy Guide to Chord Melody. There's a section in this book that build on the chord work we did in chapter one of our PDF and I've actually been looking at that. I still have a niggling feel that this side of things (chords, basically) might be a better area of study than single note playing for me (although a basic ability to solo over changes is still on my "wants" list). I also have the Big Band Swing book you mention and I think it's a wonderful book. Secondly, I've been working on some ragtime fingerpicking, which really is a full on detour. Nevertheless, I will get back on track soon - you and Jona have inspired me.

Derek

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by digger View Post
    That's a lovely little version of that solo, Joe. Well played. Sounding tight and fine!
    Thank you.

I've been neglecting this process, I'm afraid. Partly because I ruined several finger tips trying (and failing) to so some plumbing so I'm struggling to play at the moment.
    Plumbing is tough work. Hope you're back playing soon.

I've also taken a detour or two - the first one has been to look at the download that I bought (at the same time as the PDF we're working through) of Easy Guide to Chord Melody. There's a section in this book that build on the chord work we did in chapter one of our PDF and I've actually been looking at that. I still have a niggling feel that this side of things (chords, basically) might be a better area of study than single note playing for me (although a basic ability to solo over changes is still on my "wants" list). I also have the Big Band Swing book you mention and I think it's a wonderful book. Secondly, I've been working on some ragtime fingerpicking, which really is a full on detour.
    Yes. Beware of detours. Ironically, this study group is a big detour for me as I was working on putting together a Chord Melody repertoire (including relearning some Christmas tunes). BUT... I have always wanted to spend some time learning jazz blues, so this study group was too good an opportunity to pass up.

Nevertheless, I will get back on track soon - you and Jona have inspired me.
    Great. Please keep posting!

User Info Menu

Inspired by the idea of being in control (as mentioned above) this is my latest attempt for the group...

I've had a look at the next few pages and tried to learn the three Kenny Burrell licks (as well as the three licks already "learned"). I've then put them into a very simple 12 bar sequence - none of those fancy chords, this time. The idea being that I will be able to hear how these six licks sound over the basic harmony more easily this way.

Interestingly I worked the licks out by ear and missed some of the notes - I simply can't hear them (even after reading the tab). So I've continued to omit these notes on my version of these licks. I also got the position wrong on one lick, but again, we're meant to be learning them in different positions anyway.

On the bars 9/10 of the sequence I've dropped in some lines that simply run the arpeggios of the V and IV chords (again, inspired by others in this thread).

Major blues scales next, if my sneaky look ahead was right...

Cheers
    Derek
    Last edited by digger; 12-01-2021 at 02:46 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by digger View Post
    Inspired by the idea of being in control (as mentioned above) this is my latest attempt for the group...

Major blues scales next, if my sneaky look ahead was right...
    Cheers
    Derek
    Great job Derek. You turned the minor licks into real music! You definitely have a feel for the blues. Looking forward to see what you do with the major scales.

User Info Menu

I am enjoying the posts of solos. Like losaltosjoe, I am introducing other materials into this journey.

My main focus is single-note soloing, although I am also working on the harmony as well, including a Blues in Bb, which shares many of the same chords as the Blues in F.

Fep would know about the connecting game from the Jazz Blues Soloing book by Elliott. That is basically what I am doing to a backing track, connecting chords by coming in on chord tones. It is tedious, but can be a little fun, too.

I am also trying to master the Major Blues Scale.