The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Hi,
    I'm new here and I have a question for you guys. I'm studing the Leavitt book (1) and in some exercises there is the counting while I play ("1 & 2" for eight notes or "1 a & ah 2 a & ah"... for sixteen notes).
    For me is very difficult counting while I play (I play guitar from some years now and NEVER I have done this counting).
    Should I do it for ALL the exercises and study or only when I find it write on the exercise to understand how play that part?

Thanks for your help

Marco

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Marco welcome
    My understanding that counting of subdivisions is necessary only to figure out rhythms which are not firmly internalized or not to get lost in sparse bars -- with rests and long held notes.
    It indeed puts additional cognitive load especially at higher tempos. So for certain it is not necessary to count everything when going through the book, just do it enough to get sense how it should sound rhythmically.

But sill excessive deliberate counting done as an exercise improves rhythm feel and independence - it is beneficial to push oneself with this occasionally.

thanks for your help!

User Info Menu

Hello, I am interested in learning to read music notation as it applies to guitar. I have this book from years ago, but I think it is a book, for me anyway, where having a teacher to lead you through it would be best. I looked at Berkley and it seems they now sell the book with video by Larry Baione. I looked on the Berkley site for just the DVD and the link says not available. I would rather not buy the whole book again just to get the DVD.

Marco, are you using the DVD?

Hi,
    No, I don't have the DVD. I use the italian version and there isn't the DVD in the package.
    I think that is fastastic book, but the problem is that there is tempo indication with bpm. I try to do almost every exercise to 120 bpm.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by MarVit78
    Hi,
    No, I don't have the DVD. I use the italian version and there isn't the DVD in the package.
    I think that is fastastic book, but the problem is that there is tempo indication with bpm. I try to do almost every exercise to 120 bpm.
    thanks for getting back. "A Modern Method For Guitar" seems popular here as there are "sticky threads" and "study groups" for it.

I think I might have just found the DVD on YouTube. If you search for "A Modern Method For Guitar". There is a playlist of 184 different segments. Search YouTube for it.
    Last edited by oceanslider; 11-26-2021 at 04:28 PM.

thanks my friend!!