The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Posts 26 to 28 of 28

User Info Menu

Are plectrums strictly necessary?
    Nothing is necessary until you really find it so yourself...

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Hi,

Good to be hear again on this great Jazz website!

In answer to your question, it is really all about feel and what YOU are comfortable with: if you like playing with just fingers then do it. Wes Montgomery used just his thumb! Many many player use their fingers to play guitar or a combination of both.
    Sometimes when I comp using three/four note chords I have recently started using my thumb to hit the 6th/5th string root and 1st,2nd and 3rd fingers to simultaneously play the other chord notes. I mainly use picks though such as: Ernie Ball Prodigy, Jim Dunlop Jazztone, Clifford Essex bull horn; all are 3mm. I also like a felt pick for comping. I also use a large black triangle bass guitar pick which sounds very mellow.

Good luck?
    Experiment is key!

User Info Menu

Personally, I think for a time I was interested in going full-time fingerstyle because my first instrument was piano, and I wanted to do more pianistic things on the guitar. Over the years I more fully embraced the unique limitations and capabilities of the guitar, and realized that I like the plectrum for its tone/dynamics and rhythmic precision.

Of course there is still hybrid picking, which I love. You have fewer fingers, but it's often more about just opposing your picking motion against your plucking motion, like a downstroke/upstroke feel, as opposed to making each finger act independently. Again, there is a real rhythmic capability there.

But if fingerstyle is your thing, it certainly has its advantages too.