The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 55

User Info Menu

Hey,

Anyone got any opinions on Frank's Jazz Studio on True Fire? It looks great and it's the equivalent of £7 a month for me. I feel like I'd get my moneys worth solely from the Chord Melody tunes.

Anyone ever had a subscription?

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I've been a subscriber pretty much from the beginning. It's worth every penny. Frank's a great teacher and he's always available for answering any questions and requests a member may have. Highly recommended!

User Info Menu

Is it 7 pounds per month? I seem to remember it was much more. I had much fun learning his chord melody on 'tenderly'.

Quote Originally Posted by Joeontheguitar
    Is it 7 pounds per month? I seem to remember it was much more. I had much fun learning his chord melody on 'tenderly'.
    Well it's $10 which equates to £7.25 today.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by neonshaker
    Hey,

Anyone got any opinions on Frank's Jazz Studio on True Fire? It looks great and it's the equivalent of £7 a month for me. I feel like I'd get my moneys worth solely from the Chord Melody tunes.

Yup and worth it for the chord melody video alone as you say . Members also post and Frank is always poking around there too. I ultimately stopped my subscription because I went through a period where I thought I was spending too much time online and with method books then actually playing songs on the guitar. But that is my problem. I will re subscribe one day though.

User Info Menu

I too unwisely unsubscribed in a phase where I just feeling too sucked into the TF eco-system. But Frank is outstanding and this service like him is a real gem. Highly recommended! RF

Quote Originally Posted by rfmando
    I too unwisely unsubscribed in a phase where I just feeling too sucked into the TF eco-system. But Frank is outstanding and this service like him is a real gem. Highly recommended! RF
    Interestingly I wanna subscribe in order to try and streamline the amount of stuff that I use. If I'm paying monthly for something then that's what I'm gonna use and to be honest the amount of chord melody tunes on there would keep me going for years.

User Info Menu

Hey,

I've been enrolled for about 2 years now and it is the best bargain on the net. It is like having a personal instructor. Aside from all the downloadable songs and CMs, Frank often takes the time to answer your questions with a personal video addressing the issue. Frank is an outstanding teacher and the forum Q&A is an added bonus. You cannot beat it for a monthly fee of $11 USD.

User Info Menu

Off topic but check out what’s going on at Matt Warnock’s mwg studio. Well worth a look.

Quote Originally Posted by Badge
    Off topic but check out what’s going on at Matt Warnock’s mwg studio. Well worth a look.
    I have had a look at that in the past but at £20 a month it's a bit steep for me. Also I'm not too sure what you get because you have to put your credit card details in just to get the free trial which I'm also a bit wary of.

User Info Menu

So isn't TrueFire $29 month or $249 year plus Franks Jazz Studio $10 mo fee = $39 month US total? I was a member of TF for a few years when they ran a $99 year special but cancelled last year. But Frank and Fareed showed me a lot I was lacking.

User Info Menu

No. I only pay for Frank's Channel - $10/month. You can sign on with Truefire for their unliited access for all their video lessons, but I do not.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by donojazz62220
    No. I only pay for Frank's Channel - $10/month. You can sign on with Truefire for their unliited access for all their video lessons, but I do not.
    how you do that? I'd be down for that!

Quote Originally Posted by BFrench
    So isn't TrueFire $29 month or $249 year plus Franks Jazz Studio $10 mo fee = $39 month US total? I was a member of TF for a few years when they ran a $99 year special but cancelled last year. But Frank and Fareed showed me a lot I was lacking.
    If you have an all access account it is.

But I don't so I'd literally be paying the £7 for Frank's Jazz Studio.

Once you have a free access True Fire account just go to Frank's page and click subscribe.

User Info Menu

Here is the website. Frank Vignola's Jazz Studio - Channels - TrueFire I signed up for the Jazz Studio Subscription + Weekly Zoom Warm-up" for $10/mo - donojazz62220

User Info Menu

Yeah, it's totally worth it.
    I have been a subscriber almost from the beginning and really enjoy and learn a lot from it.
    Last edited by clebergf; 09-14-2021 at 03:13 PM.

Anyone want to share the way they work through the things on there? Do you just dip into the videos that take your interest or is there like a suggested route through (after the beginners section I mean)

User Info Menu

Anyone want to share the way they work through the things on there? Do you just dip into the videos that take your interest or is there like a suggested route through (after the beginners section I mean)
    Here is the way I use his site:

I watch for his monthly release. It's usually last two days of the month. He takes requests and will add to his list. So if you are looking for a song, not on his site, just ask. Sometimes, he will do a quick hit on the song along with a lead sheet just to get you going. Often the next day.

I will occasionally go through his chord melody section to review/start a new CM. I'm partial to his CMs. Nowhere else will you find so many CM with instruction. He posts them in both standard notation and tab. Frank tends to prefer standard, as I.

I do the same with his Jazz Song Learning System. Find one you are interested in (most of the standards are there already) and start by downloading the leadsheet with melody. The song videos are broken down in multi series segments - performance, melody, harmony/rhythm and practice exchange.

Frank has pretty much overwhelmed True Fire with with his prodigious quantity of content. They cannot even keep up anymore so they post everything to his "Latest" tab. It is a great site with plent of very talented students that are alyways willing to help. If you want to post a video or mp3 of you playing and they will politely critique it. The group is amazing. They always find the positive and supportive aspects on their posts. Rare on the internet to find that type of support.

Again, Frank is a great and generous instructor. Oh, and by the way, a phenominal player. Rare to find that combination... I use donojazz62220 on Truefire site - Welcome!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by donojazz62220
    Here is the way I use his site:

I watch for his monthly release. It's usually last two days of the month. He takes requests and will add to his list. So if you are looking for a song, not on his site, just ask. Sometimes, he will do a quick hit on the song along with a lead sheet just to get you going. Often the next day.

I will occasionally go through his chord melody section to review/start a new CM. I'm partial to his CMs. Nowhere else will you find so many CM with instruction. He posts them in both standard notation and tab. Frank tends to prefer standard, as I.

I do the same with his Jazz Song Learning System. Find one you are interested in (most of the standards are there already) and start by downloading the leadsheet with melody. The song videos are broken down in multi series segments - performance, melody, harmony/rhythm and practice exchange.

Frank has pretty much overwhelmed True Fire with with his prodigious quantity of content. They cannot even keep up anymore so they post everything to his "Latest" tab. It is a great site with plent of very talented students that are alyways willing to help. If you want to post a video or mp3 of you playing and they will politely critique it. The group is amazing. They always find the positive and supportive aspects on their posts. Rare on the internet to find that type of support.

Again, Frank is a great and generous instructor. Oh, and by the way, a phenominal player. Rare to find that combination... I use donojazz62220 on Truefire site - Welcome!
    BTW, I see cleberg posting here. I hope he will add to the discussion. I have seen him post wideo's on the site (He's a dynamite player), He may even discuss the collective group youtube sessions where a many as 20 players jam on a tune and post it to the web. It's generally produced by JP. He collects the individual student videos and splices them together. A lot of work and the outcome is super. JD

User Info Menu

Thank you for your words donojazz62220!!

I'm happy and glad to be part of this community. Everyone there is so nice and Frank just does fantastic work there!!
    There is a very nice beginning session there with great exercises and tips, and as donojazz62220 said, there is so many songs that can keep you busy for a while.

As Franks says, learn the songs, it's all there!!!

Quote Originally Posted by clebergf
    There is a very nice beginning session there with great exercises and tips
    Is that the "Jazz Guitar for Beginners Section" you're talking about?

User Info Menu

Is that the "Jazz Guitar for Beginners Section" you're talking about?
    Yeah, that one. There are some very nice lessons there to start with it.

User Info Menu

I have been working through his Jazz Comping Factory - which is my first exposure to TrueFire. The software tools alone are remarkable. The ability to slow down and loop the lessons; 3 cameras on Frank plus the chart. It beats recording a lesson with your phone and then transcribing it ...

We went camping a few weeks ago - no internet - so I downloaded the lessons I'm working on to the app. The music and the learning continued off the grid!

Frank is an excellent teacher. He shares a great deal of background knowledge in the context of the lesson. And my playing is improving markedly. All of this led me to subscribe to his Jazz Studio last week and I attended the Wednesday morning Warm-up, followed by the Improvisation Workshop - all on Zoom. What a cool way to start the day - jamming with Frank and 15 other jazz guitarists! I opted for the private lesson, too, which adds $34 to the bill - so $54 a month for the Jazz Studio (with two classes weekly) plus one private lesson a month. Just uploaded my introduction for his skills assessment and the first lesson.

So far I've been impressed with TrueFire. The channel is a massive resource - very well organized and easy to navigate. His pre-recorded lessons seem to cover the gamut of jazz guitar topics. Frank's repertoire and his teaching methods are a great fit for me. And, I also plan to give Mimi Fox and Tim Lerch some coin, too.

I hope it works for you, as well!

Hey again folks.

After all your kind advice I got around to subscribing to Frank's channel. Quick question though, it's not entirely obvious where you post a message if you have a request or question? Any ideas?

User Info Menu

Hey again folks.

After all your kind advice I got around to subscribing to Frank's channel. Quick question though, it's not entirely obvious where you post a message if you have a request or question? Any ideas?
    The best place currently is the "Green Room" section.