The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Posts 26 to 50 of 55
    Hey Jack,

I've just realised you're over on Frank's channel too. Seems to be a lot of crossover between here and there.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by donojazz62220
    Here is the website. Frank Vignola's Jazz Studio - Channels - TrueFire I signed up for the Jazz Studio Subscription + Weekly Zoom Warm-up" for $10/mo - donojazz62220
    I’m new to TF, and have the 15 day trial. How do you find this channel from within in the app? Or is it only via a web browser? And from above I get that you are only able to get this during the free trial, or if you have a paid subscription to TF?

And just curious, for those of you here that participate in Franks channel and do zoom meetings. When are they typically?
    Last edited by oceanslider; 01-12-2022 at 01:56 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by oceanslider
    I’m new to TF, and have the 15 day trial. How do you find this channel from within in the app? Or is it only via a web browser? And from above I get that you are only able to get this during the free trial, or if you have a paid subscription to TF?

And just curious, for those of you here that participate in Franks channel and do zoom meetings. When are they typically?
    Hey. I'm not sure about how you access it from the app because I gave up on the app due to how glitchy it is. With regards to accessing it, cost wise, you'll still have to pay the $10 to access it because it's not included in the free trial due to it being something standalone that Frank organises.

I was really impressed with it when I had my subscription and submitted some videos. I had to cancel it though just because life meant I was so rarely able to play my guitar.

User Info Menu

I don't believe you can access the Jazz Studio or any Channel from the TrueFire app. On the other hand, it's quite useful for using their courseware offline, as you can download sessions to your phone. The Channel is browser-based. The weekly sessions are on Wednesday mornings at 7am and 730am PT. Once you subscribe you will find the link to the Zoom meeting in the Description page for each of the two weekly sessions. You'll need to upgrade to the $20 per month level to access both sessions. The 7am PT session is focussed on technique and fundamentals. The 730am PT session is focussed on improvisation. There are typically 15+ students in both.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Bflat233
    I don't believe you can access the Jazz Studio or any Channel from the TrueFire app. On the other hand, it's quite useful for using their courseware offline, as you can download sessions to your phone. The Channel is browser-based. The weekly sessions are on Wednesday mornings at 7am and 730am PT. Once you subscribe you will find the link to the Zoom meeting in the Description page for each of the two weekly sessions. You'll need to upgrade to the $20 per month level to access both sessions. The 7am PT session is focussed on technique and fundamentals. The 730am PT session is focussed on improvisation. There are typically 15+ students in both.
    If you cannot make the meeting time are you able to watch the Zoom Meetings afterwards or even ones prior to joining the group?

If you cannot make the meeting time are you able to watch the Zoom Meetings afterwards or even ones prior to joining the group?
    Frank uploads the video and lesson notes to the channel after its finished so you can dive in and have a look at lessons from months ago or start from now.

User Info Menu

Some of the stuff is limited to the higher cost subscriptions, but at the $10/month you will probably never find better instruction. Frank has so much great stuff on his channel, you will be busy for years. Someone mentioned it is like have a private instructor, and I agree 100%. The best money on instruction I have ever spent, and he is a really great guy. I have seen videos he posted in the answer section taken while he was on the road. To me that shows a huge commitment to his students.

User Info Menu

Franks channel is great as is Frank. He really breaks things down to the essence without over complicating things. The only issue for me was there was so much great stuff coming up almost daily that I was always going after the shiny new thing. I need to concentrate and focus on only a few songs/concepts at a time otherwise I spin my wheels.

Chris Whiteman's Patreon page has the right amount of content for me.

I will jump back into Frank's channel eventually. It is nice sharing your videos with peers there and the TrueFire platform is the best.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Ralphy
    Some of the stuff is limited to the higher cost subscriptions, but at the $10/month you will probably never find better instruction. Frank has so much great stuff on his channel, you will be busy for years. Someone mentioned it is like have a private instructor, and I agree 100%. The best money on instruction I have ever spent, and he is a really great guy. I have seen videos he posted in the answer section taken while he was on the road. To me that shows a huge commitment to his students.
    I'm thinking of doing the $10 option. I was able to look it over as it gave me a 6 day trial. It looks good.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by alltunes
    Chris Whiteman's Patreon page has the right amount of content for me.
    I had seen his Patron page a while back for only $3 a month looked like a great deal. Chris seems like a great teacher too. About actually putting the learning to songs not just exercises.

User Info Menu

Anyone who might know, I am curious as to how the TrueFire All Access and Channels pricing works. I am totally new to TrueFire. But I was able to get a free trial to both the All Access and the Channels. So, as it is now, for at least 4 more days, I got full access to both, which means I've been able to view all Channels as well all TrueFire content.

I assume that the two(All Access and Channels) are separate payment. That if you buy All Access that you don't automatically get the Channels. Regretfully they don't have a single page the lays out the pricing straightforward.

User Info Menu

Oceanslider, I have a year of all access for $99, wait awhile and they will have a sale. They have sales regularly. From what I understand, you do not have to have any other commitment to Trufire to join a channel, but each channel has a stepped pricing depending upon what level of access you want with the instructor. I have the cheapest with Frank at $10 per month, at my level it would be a waist of his time for a one on one with me. The next time your on the site click on the help tab, top right, and scroll down there is a heading that details all the pricing. Hope that helps.

Ralphy

User Info Menu

Thanks. I'm going to go with the $10 program with Frank. Then I will look around there and become more familiar with the TrueFire options. I would really like to check out Vinny Raniolo, as I think he is one of the best rhythm guys around. He has a $5 channel that I will probably check out as well here and there.

User Info Menu

Thanks. I'm going to go with the $10 program with Frank. Then I will look around there and become more familiar with the TrueFire options. I would really like to check out Vinny Raniolo, as I think he is one of the best rhythm guys around. He has a $5 channel that I will probably check out as well here and there.
    I thought about that myself. I love Vinny's playing, especially with Frank. Problem is that Frank produces so much stuff that I am always chasing the latest topic. I am now trying to focus more by using a practice notebook. Not enough time in the day!

User Info Menu

One of my biggest regrets is leaving Frank's channel, I was in a mode of feeling like I had too much content coming at me. Shouldn't have done that...I asked TF about getting back in at the original rate and they indicated that is up to the artist. So I suspect the artist channels are ran entirely separate from the TF all access etc. Franks channel is well worth whatever he charges for sure! He's outstanding, I just keep alternating between already too much learning material/not enough time to use it and FOMO ;-)

User Info Menu

I know about this FOMO problem (Fear of missing out), but I think this common problem severely hinders me. There is such a flood of world-class instructional material available to us now that it is overwhelming and of course we want to do it all. I am now trying to embrace JOMO (joy of missing out) to become more focused and actually make some progress without being constantly distracted. Of course this model would be commercial death to the providers such as Truefire who keep putting out massive amounts of great material. I recently read a wonderful book on this topic which has really transformed my approach to this problem. It is called 4000 Weeks by Oliver Burkeman. Wonderful stuff.

User Info Menu

Here I am trying to keep up with the flood of instruction material and now I have to read a book Agreed, it can be overwhelming, but it is great to have so much to choose from.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Ralphy
    Here I am trying to keep up with the flood of instruction material and now I have to read a book Agreed, it can be overwhelming, but it is great to have so much to choose from.

Funny Response!!

Yes I think the operative word is "choose" rather than do it all.

User Info Menu

I've added the book to my "never-ending" to get to list, thx for the rec! ;-)

User Info Menu

I've subscribed to Frank's channel twice, and ended both times for the same reason - too much material to learn. This amount is discouraging. (About the same story I had with the Tim Lerch channel. And I also bought about ten Truefire courses (none of them were completed), a bunch of books on jazz, and terabytes of educational material on the computer. Along with 5 guitars at home, a bunch equipment, and easy access to any music via streaming services - I think it looks like some kind of psychological problem). I envy the geniuses of the past, who from a couple of Charlie Christian's solos (transcribed by ear) were able to extract musical ideas for a lifetime.
    ... But anyway, Frank and his channel are great for learning (and for those who know how to be focused)

User Info Menu

Kmatuhin
    I feel your pain, you are correct it is overwhelming. Take my advice for what it is worth and by no means am I judging or criticizing. Pick your favorite guitar, if its a hollowbody or acoustic that is great you will not need an amp, (one less distraction to fiddle with). All additional equipment to be put away and or sold. Pick a course, not to hard but challenging enough to keep you focused and engaged. Schedule a time period everyday where it will be just you the guitar and the whatever course, no outside distractions. No phone near by and no checking emails, just let yourself dive in. Go over each segment/lesson until you have it down near perfect and the then move on. So what if it is only a short time of practice or it takes an eternity it will be time well spent. A wise man told me that the only way to eat an elephant is one bite at a time. And no, I do not recommend eating elephants.

Good Luck
    Ralphy

User Info Menu

I hunt and peck through all these books and courses to help with the main task at hand which is to learn songs. I have a small stable of tunes I keep working on. The point being I can sit down unaccompanied and play a few standards and enjoy it.

User Info Menu

Overwhelm and too much choice is the challenge of our age. A wise person told me our challenge is overcoming the obstacle of constant distraction.

User Info Menu

Unless we are taking private lessons from an instructor who has a clearly defined learning path, we are going to find ourselves with too much information and too little time. The key to sorting it out is to get a really good idea of the tunes you love and then learn to play those. But even that comes with its own challenges. You have to learn the melody, the harmony (the chord voicings), and the scale tones that you can use to improvise. That's a lot!

Just as important is to have a way to approach the learning. Frank breaks it down in his jazz standards lessons, and surrounds it with all the essential details for those that are ready to absorb them. Even so, it really helps if you have a practice plan. I developed my own, I think we all have to do that.

There are a few short books I have read that lay-out the options. I've read them all many times and created a practice plan template that I print out and pencil in the goals and tasks each week. There is goodness in all of these:

• First, learn how to practice by Tom Heany
    • How to practice Jazz, by Jerry Coker
    • How to listen to Jazz, by Jerry Coker

I hope this helps!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Bflat233

There are a few short books I have read that lay-out the options. I've read them all many times and created a practice plan template that I print out and pencil in the goals and tasks each week. There is goodness in all of these:

• First, learn how to practice by Tom Heany
    • How to practice Jazz, by Jerry Coker
    • How to listen to Jazz, by Jerry Coker

I hope this helps!
    Thanks for the book recommendations!