The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Posts 51 to 55 of 55

User Info Menu

Photonic, well it has been over a month, what are your thoughts on Matt Wornock's site and teaching. I have done most of the free stuff, but still on the fence for a all in pass.

Thanks

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Hi Ralphy and all who are interested. I did try the free course which was an introduction to jazz chords and it was very well-written and I learned a bunch. I then signed up for the 30 day free trial that gives access to everything including all the 100s of pre-made instructional videos organized by level or topic AND what he calls the "Studio" which is a separate, but linked private social media type site that has all the fresh DAILY lessons and community participation. I have to admit I was completely unprepared for the quality of this experience and a bit amazed.

Matt teaches a "Tune a Month" which is a full blown 1 month long in-depth instruction on all aspects of a jazz standard. January was Giant Steps, February was But Not Foe Me, and this March is So Danco Samba. It involves song form, melody, chord melody arrangement, and soloing. He teaches a daily lesson on some aspect of the tune or concepts to be used in the tune every day. The student participates by uploading videos and/or audio files of how they are doing for his comments and appreciation by the community. The participation level is remarkable with many students posting something everyday. You don't have to post anything or participate, but one might be crazy to pass this opportunity by. Some students seem to do a Tune of the Month one month or just courses another month or a mix. I am doing a mix. Then at the end of the month people do a final project which involves uploading some final rendition of what they learned in the Tune of the Month. It could be as simple as just playing the melody over one chorus of the tune, or a full blown intro, melody, chord melody, solo and restatement of the melody over multiple choruses. He provides PDF charts, audio files and Band in the Box files. It is absolutely a COMPLETE teaching experience. The student range from beginners in Jazz to obviously accomplished musicians who are there for the excellent teaching. They are form all over the world. Oh and did I mention that he has 2 and sometimes 3 one hour long live broadcasts on some in depth topic or open office hours where he answers questions from the community. He offers hooking students up with practice partners for the month (I am doing that). He has a daily listening tune to educate you and get you in the swing (!) for your practice day. He provides Spotify lists of scores of examples of the the tune of the month. My gosh it just goes on and on.

And here comes the kicker. Matt responds to almost every upload and comment usually within an hour but mostly within a few minutes. I have never seen anything like this. It is like the teacher living in your house. He couldn't be nicer and his teaching skills are superior. He has a PhD in music arts and performance and is clearly at the top of the heap teaching wise.

I wholeheartedly continued my membership at $29/mo. without any hesitation at all. He also has a one year discounted plan. When compared to previous sites I have tried (Truefire, Jamplay, LickLibrary, Active Melody, Zombie Guitar) this site is like a real guitar school albeit just Jazz.

I have never been happier with an online learning platform. I love canned video teaching material in general, but this site has an intensive active skilled teacher who is committed to communication, evaluation, access and encouragement for new and seasoned players. He has taught at universities and all over the world.

I am still a bit shocked at the quality and the access. I highly recommend trying the free 30 day trial and dive in and especially participate in the "Studio" experience and you will quickly see how unique this is.

I hope this helped other jazz students looking for a good teaching experience.
    Last edited by Photonic; 03-01-2022 at 10:49 PM.

User Info Menu

Thanks for the well written review, I may give it a try.

User Info Menu

Frank Vignola without question is one of the best guitar teacher. I've been a member of true fire for years but I always keep coming back to Frank's videos.

User Info Menu

Hello there!!

We recorded a new collab video at Frank's Jazz Studio and I think that would be nice to share it here.
    From time to time we try to do these videos and they are a lot of fun and it's great to play "with" Frank on them.