The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 11 of 11

User Info Menu

hello..

Seems I was lucky enough to win a one year Artist works course of my choice

I'm not sure which one to pick.. I'm leaning to Martin Taylor though any of the jazz ones look intersting

Any one have any experience with these... What did you think -are there pdf's of the lessons?,backing tracks?

Thanks,

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I joined Dave Strykers class for a year. I learned a lot from him, but I was also happy to switch to Truefire after a year.
    Compared to Truefire, Artistworks seems to lag behind a bit. No fancy notation that runs along with the music, sometimes not even pdf's. The good thing is that you can get feedback from Dave on your videos.

User Info Menu

I enjoy Martin’s offering, but you’ve got to be committed to recording yourself. Otherwise, it’s not so good.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Thanks for the feedback... I'm not too big on sending in videos..but we'll see how it goes

User Info Menu

I did Martin Taylor’s course. It was just OK. The material is good, but it often lacks scores and the camera angles are bad. As an online pre-recorded course it was not bad.

The “feedback”, on the other hand, is quite limited. It’s a bit like raising your hand in a crowded classroom to ask a question. Expect a quick one sentence answer, not a one on one tutoring. Only you teacher is on Mars, because it takes a week to get your ten second response.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

User Info Menu

That’s not true. Usually Martin’s responses are longer than thee minutes and often he goes into detail on one specific topic, that he thinks is relevant. It might not seem to be for you, but in my experience it is helpful in the long run.

However, as a recorded course it is very idiosyncratic. It might work for you, but I remember the shock I had when after some approachable lessons Martin tells you to transcribe and play a solo version of Satin Doll! It took a while to get it done, let’s put it that way. Obviously if your level is higher than mine when I first got there, then it won’t be so bad.

Having said all this, I decided not to renew the course and now I’m back. So I do find it useful. But, as I said, in my view the big value is in the video exchange.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

User Info Menu

I was looking at Dave S's Course as they were running a good deal. I was also looking at Truefire for the same reason. Is there any comparable true fire course to Dave's Artistwrorks Course that you have found?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Graicebara;[URL="tel:1168625"
    1168625[/URL]]I was looking at Dave S's Course as they were running a good deal. I was also looking at Truefire for the same reason. Is there any comparable true fire course to Dave's Artistwrorks Course that you have found?
    Have you looked into Frank Vignola’s TrueFire Channel. I think it is the best deal around. I think Frank is the best instructor around. He has a program for submitting videos for personal instruction. However, you can get a lot out of his basic channel and he responds quickly to any questions you have. I have been a member for about 1 1/2 years and I love it.

User Info Menu

Mimi Fox is a superb teacher/player with a full on enthusiastic approach.

User Info Menu

I'm currently taking Martin Taylor's course and am finding it very good. It took me a week or two to find my feet but now I've submitted two videos and have found my level. So now it's practise till the next video submittion. I took the annual subscription with a 50% discount. I'm not sure that I would have paid full price but at 50% off it's a no brainer.

User Info Menu

I never found AW to be of much help, especially at their price point. I actually insisted on a refund from one of the jazz courses on there.
    Yes, to Frank Vignola on TrueFire--can't beat their annual price, anywhere.