The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Posts 26 to 29 of 29

User Info Menu

I'm totally new to actually playing jazz myself, even though I had an L5 2 or 3 years ago for a while, and VDA NYL2 about 20 years ago I just LOVE archtops! I started playing on March 25th, 1975, which was when my next door neighbor got a Mel Bay book with chords in it.

I just got myself a teacher in early June (a Philly cat named Steve Ford, great guy), right after I finished my college degree (at the ripe young age of 59), so I am listening to jazz all the time now and really digging a lot of guys whose names I knew but whose playing I didn't (Kenny Burrell being the main one at the moment).

Back around '85 or so my Dad stepped on my "Close to The Edge" album and broke it, and got me Joe Pass' "Virtuoso # 2" to replace it. As you can imagine, I was not at all amused by this replacement! LOL I had almost every note of CTTE down cold, and eventually learned it, but "On Green Dolphin Street" stuck in the back of my head and just grew over the years. I believe I was in 2 bands at the time, one that was a Rush "tribute" band, and the other was a punk thing. Both were fun but I was listening to what we called prog back then despite playing in rock cover bands.

Now, my days of playing in rock 'Dad' bands are over, so I am learning jazz now just for me. I don't care where it takes me as long as the road there is fun, which it has been so far. I should probably look for my 10 year old copy of Jack Zucker's "Sheets of Sound" as well to go through some of those exercises I think I saw him say here recently he plays strictly bass these days, he's got some monster chops as well.

Anyway, that's a bit of background from me. Now you all know me that much better

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Is there a way to slow down the tempo for the backing track for say learning the C scale ?? May be a dumb question but I cannot figure it out

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Vangel
    Is there a way to slow down the tempo for the backing track for say learning the C scale ?? May be a dumb question but I cannot figure it out
    Get a looper, record your own backing tracks, and play scales over that (but instead of scales I just recommend improvising and playing scales without any backing tracks).

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Vangel
    Yes, you can download an app called "Audacity", which will allow you to slow the pace of the song without altering the pitch.