The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
Posts 76 to 78 of 78

User Info Menu

Two books to get started in a gentle way: Paul Hindemith's Traditional Harmony (free online) will teach chord construction and functional harmony and Ronny Lee's Jazz Guitar Method applies this stuff to guitar. Then, onward to tunes!
    Quote Originally Posted by Gladders
    Thank you everyone. There's some really helpful stuff here.

My main take-away is, don't worry about it. Just play. So I'll do that and let it all fall into place gradually. That suits me just fine.

Sent from my SM-T830 using Tapatalk

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Roberoo
    Well, that's all clear then.... I expect the original poster is looking for a gentler introduction! :-)
    Hi Roberoo, I know my first post appeared pretty intimidating or discouraging, but to be fair, actually nothing was expected to be clear, nor serve as an introduction; both the chord and progression information were presented as long term reference material.
    My suggestion was to proceed with figuring out tunes by ear and as things were discovered, then optionally/occasionally cross reference those discoveries in the material to gradually acquire their names and the named relationships among them.

I think that is what the op ultimately resolved to do going forward.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pauln
    Hi Roberoo, I know my first post appeared pretty intimidating or discouraging, but to be fair, actually nothing was expected to be clear, nor serve as an introduction; both the chord and progression information were presented as long term reference material.
    My suggestion was to proceed with figuring out tunes by ear and as things were discovered, then optionally/occasionally cross reference those discoveries in the material to gradually acquire their names and the named relationships among them.

I think that is what the op ultimately resolved to do going forward.
    Understood. I am mighty impressed by the work put into the diagrams and I will print them off for reference.