Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Posts 26 to 41 of 41
  1. #26

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by cris1xy
    You sound like you're pitching something too, especially as a lot of the things you said are like 100% so you weren't really guessing.
    I guess that no good deed goes unpunished. After I posted this i thought that maybe I had the dates for the open sessions wrong, so I wrote Matt to make sure, that's why I added the EDIT with the info and link for you (and anyone else) to check it out. I guess what I'm "selling" is my enthusiasm for finally finding an actual online experience that works for me, after trying the guy you mentioned, bring a member of Vignola's Jazz Studio, some Fret Dojo courses and buying some of Jens PDF courses. Next time someone asks for any advice about something I have experience with/have spent considerable money on, I'll just STFU. I even took time to send you a PM with the info so you could catch the Tuesday session in case you missed the post I made as it was so late on Monday night. From now on, if I don't recognize the username, I'm not saying shit to try to help out.

  2.  

    The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
     
  3. #27

    User Info Menu

    A had a basic membership to jazzguitarlessons.net for two years. $175USD per year. Being fairly new to jazz at the time, I felt it was a great product. I appreciated the structured approach and various extras (e.g. transcribed solos) it offered. I learnt a heck of a lot in that time.

    Marc is no question a legit instructor and jazz guitarist. Plus, I really dug his album, which sadly is no longer available to stream on popular sites.

    Fair points made, but he instantly loses credibility for playing a blue sparkly glitter telecaster.
    Yeah, the sparkly blue G&L tele seems a tad out of place. His main guitar is a Montreal Premiere with Seth Lovers.

    I can see why some people get irked by his salesman qualities. He changed his business model a couple years ago (pushing his new Mastery program) and I felt it was overpriced compared to what I was getting with the basic membership, which is no longer available. I ended my membership and have moved on.

    Disclosure: As a fellow Canadian, I respect that Marc's created a name for himself internationally as a jazz instructor... something I can only aspire to.

  4. #28

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by ah.clem
    I guess that no good deed goes unpunished. After I posted this i thought that maybe I had the dates for the open sessions wrong, so I wrote Matt to make sure, that's why I added the EDIT with the info and link for you (and anyone else) to check it out. I guess what I'm "selling" is my enthusiasm for finally finding an actual online experience that works for me, after trying the guy you mentioned, bring a member of Vignola's Jazz Studio, some Fret Dojo courses and buying some of Jens PDF courses. Next time someone asks for any advice about something I have experience with/have spent considerable money on, I'll just STFU. I even took time to send you a PM with the info so you could catch the Tuesday session in case you missed the post I made as it was so late on Monday night. From now on, if I don't recognize the username, I'm not saying shit to try to help out.

    I actually agreed with you and meant no offense. I appreciate your response as I too have spent considerable money and want to make every dollar from here on out count toward actual progress. I am new to the forum so maybe I have a few things to learn on the etiquette. I did not see your private message but I did give Matt a second look because of your response and I got a year membership and putting in some time there. Sent him a message and he responded really quick and is giving me some directions and feedback. So I got you to thank for that so don't feel I don't appreciate your response. I appreciate everyone who take the time out to give me some insight since a lot of people see the post and don't reply and a few others respond with their unrelated stuff, but the majority by far has been very helpful.

  5. #29

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by LifeOnJazz
    A had a basic membership to jazzguitarlessons.net for two years. $175USD per year. Being fairly new to jazz at the time, I felt it was a great product. I appreciated the structured approach and various extras (e.g. transcribed solos) it offered. I learnt a heck of a lot in that time.

    Marc is no question a legit instructor and jazz guitarist. Plus, I really dug his album, which sadly is no longer available to stream on popular sites.



    Yeah, the sparkly blue G&L tele seems a tad out of place. His main guitar is a Montreal Premiere with Seth Lovers.

    I can see why some people get irked by his salesman qualities. He changed his business model a couple years ago (pushing his new Mastery program) and I felt it was overpriced compared to what I was getting with the basic membership, which is no longer available. I ended my membership and have moved on.

    Disclosure: As a fellow Canadian, I respect that Marc's created a name for himself internationally as a jazz instructor... something I can only aspire to.

    If it was 175 a year, even 300 a year I could check it out. But that's a bit steep which is why I'll pass. I was even considering still giving it a try if others on here recommended it highly. I'm not even questioning his validity as a player or as a teacher but without seeing a bit of what's on there I can't go head first not knowing if his teaching style works for me. But who knows maybe in the future. At least for the next year I got myself plenty to work on

  6. #30

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by cris1xy
    but without seeing a bit of what's on there I can't go head first not knowing if his teaching style works for me. But who knows maybe in the future.
    Totally agree. He doean't offer up much preview on his new site. His format on YouTube is not what you get inside the coursework. It's well thought out... several modules across skill areas (e.g., Learn the Fretboard, Improv 101, Comping 102, Chord Melody Mastery) that get progressively more challenging. He uses SoundSlicer so you can slowdown and splice the lessons to play along. It also has 50+ transcribed songs and solos, and a user community. I'm not sure how available he is for questions. I never reached out.

    Glad you found something that's working. I'm currently doing some of Jens lessons, blues-jazz stuff, but after that I'll be looking for a new online course. I appreciate hearing others' experiences.

  7. #31

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by LifeOnJazz
    Totally agree. He doean't offer up much preview on his new site. His format on YouTube is not what you get inside the coursework. It's well thought out... several modules across skill areas (e.g., Learn the Fretboard, Improv 101, Comping 102, Chord Melody Mastery) that get progressively more challenging. He uses SoundSlicer so you can slowdown and splice the lessons to play along. It also has 50+ transcribed songs and solos, and a user community. I'm not sure how available he is for questions. I never reached out.

    Glad you found something that's working. I'm currently doing some of Jens lessons, blues-jazz stuff, but after that I'll be looking for a new online course. I appreciate hearing others' experiences.

  8. #32

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by LifeOnJazz
    Totally agree. He doean't offer up much preview on his new site. His format on YouTube is not what you get inside the coursework. It's well thought out... several modules across skill areas (e.g., Learn the Fretboard, Improv 101, Comping 102, Chord Melody Mastery) that get progressively more challenging. He uses SoundSlicer so you can slowdown and splice the lessons to play along. It also has 50+ transcribed songs and solos, and a user community. I'm not sure how available he is for questions. I never reached out.

    Glad you found something that's working. I'm currently doing some of Jens lessons, blues-jazz stuff, but after that I'll be looking for a new online course. I appreciate hearing others' experiences.
    Yeah makes sense. I'm on mwgcourses and rotating a few others: Jimmy Bruno, Frank Vignola jazz studio and Barry Greene and a 100 or so books

  9. #33

    User Info Menu

    I've never been tempted by his tasters. They seem to be all chat.
    Jens L and Richie Z are so much more generous.

  10. #34

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by garybaldy
    I've never been tempted by his tasters. They seem to be all chat.
    Jens L and Richie Z are so much more generous.
    I forgot I also got the Richie Z bebop improv course but just the pdfs. And you are right about that, its just a different vibe. But to each his own ig

  11. #35

    User Info Menu


    I'd say do the free trial and see if you like it. All of these sites offer free trials -
    However Check this out before paying.
    Check out the 18:00 mark regarding pricing - explains the HUGE price hike. I wouldn't pay the current prices when there are more cost effective solutions out there.
    Check out the 19:40 mark as well (mentions not enjoying playing music as much and planning to sell the site as it's not fun anymore). He's got another player doing a lot of the newer lessons (not a bad thing by any means) but it seems to line up with his plans in this video of moving on to other business ventures.
    --
    For jazzguitarlessons.net
    Can't knock the playing ability - the guy is legit. But the sales mentality is verrrry high.
    I had a lifetime subscription with the promise of receiving all future material.
    Within a year I received an Email offer to upgrade to their new system. I asked why, when I was promised all future materials...they basically said "it's not the same plan".
    So I paid to upgrade. It was literally the exact same plan on a new server with a slightly tweaked interface with the added bonus of some simplified versions of the existing jazz standards. I felt like my original purchase that should have included all future material mis-represented.
    That being said, I do still use the service and it contains a lot of good material. The soundslice integration is great too. I would however like to see more explanation with the standards studies to explain what scales are used over certain progressions, why certain chords are used, etc.
    --
    mwgcourses.com
    If I were to do it over again I'd go to Matt Warnock's new site and enroll there. No soundslice or guitarpro files but it does have a nice layout in terms of progressing and explaining things really well. The charts he uses (created with NeckDiagrams) are really useful in learning the intervals during the scales / chord lessons. There are good harmony breakdowns explaining which scales to use over certain chord progressions of the jazz standards. Of all the sites I've used, I think MWG does the best job in that regard. I've asked questions on lessons and they're answered same-day. Really nice service.
    --
    truefire.com
    I also subscribe here. Hands down the biggest resource of jazz topics, licks, rhythms. Also has soundslice integration on most courses. Awesome awesome service. However as a beginner I got lost in trying to develop as a guitarist in general and have been using Matt Warnock's courses to get up to snuff as a player in general. I think if I take the time to learn the foundations there, the truefire courses will come easier. Truefire does have 'learning paths' but I feel like once you reach level 4 it goes from 0 to 100 in 6 seconds and I got a bit frustrated. The courses are amazing tho if you just find the material you want.
    ------
    All that said, I'd start with mwgcourses and tack in some truefire trial once you're ready for it.

    Also if you just want access to a ton of old jazz songs, Frank V's channel on Truefire is $10/mo and doesn't require a subscription to the rest of the site.
    Last edited by hoosier1981; 08-16-2021 at 06:20 PM.

  12. #36

    User Info Menu

    I've been with Matt Warnock for a few years now and I've learned a whole lot. Generally, there is too much going on every week for me to keep up with. I've learned (by Matt's advice) to just pick a few course and work through them. They are nice, bite size pieces. I would recommend them without reservation, and I believe that there is a 30 day full refund, no questions asked policy.

    There are live classes on Tuesday and Thursday mornings, 9:00 am PST. There's a calendar to see what the Tuesday lesson is (usually an in-depth look at one of the courses) and Thursday is a Q&A "Office Hour"; fortunately, they are all available on-demand after the class as I am not a morning person, and 9 am is just too early for me. Fortunately, Matt answers questions almost immediately. The biggest problem I have with MWG is I want to do everything.

    I also belong to Frank Vignola's Jazz Studio, which I also think is a great resource, especially for chord melody/solo guitar.

    Between the two I am more than busy.
    Last edited by ah.clem; 08-16-2021 at 10:31 PM. Reason: Grammar

  13. #37

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by djg
    he's not very good, is he? if you must enroll to an online course check out courses by real players like rodney jones, or get some skype lessons from grasso, mike stern, or whoever floats your boat. why settle for less? this is the beauty and also the bitter truth of our jazz economy. you can interact with the top players in the world for peanuts. try offering roger federer 200 bucks for a tennis lesson...

    or apply the dick onstenk method, which is actually proven to work and has the extra benefit of being free.

    i'm sorry, but from a professional perspective this is almost a scam:
    Agree with all, except the last sentence. There is no such thing, that something is not scam, but "from professional perspective...". You can say that poor value/price ratio or not useful for professionals, or there are much more recommended products.

    ***

    Btw you mention Rodney Jones, who is a great musician, belongs to the top, way underrated. Not even makes sense to start comparing him to the guy.

    Now I've checked his youtube chanel, and web site too. Found a more than one year old video advertising Tune World with impressive textual promises in the video description, and a link to a one time $560 PayPal payment.

    I tried to google for "Tune World" with the result nothing. As a bonus, the comments are turned off. Now this smells. I do not question the good will, but throwing out an advertisement, with a link to pay $560, silencing any feedback and no traces of any product in google?


  14. #38

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by djg
    he's not very good, is he? if you must enroll to an online course check out courses by real players like rodney jones, or get some skype lessons from grasso, mike stern, or whoever floats your boat. why settle for less? this is the beauty and also the bitter truth of our jazz economy. you can interact with the top players in the world for peanuts. try offering roger federer 200 bucks for a tennis lesson...

    or apply the dick onstenk method, which is actually proven to work and has the extra benefit of being free.

    i'm sorry, but from a professional perspective this is almost a scam:

    Sorry, but I feel I need to point out that I think this post is out of line. Saying Andre is "not very good", or suggesting he is not a "real" player is is just plain wrong. I checked him out and he's a fine player, and actually a straight up, down to earth teacher - a student could do way worse... I wouldn't pay that much for access to his site even if I was in need of his lessons, but that is no reason to pour scorn. I'm sure there are plenty of his students who feel they're getting their money's worth.

    BTW, do you really think you would learn more from the likes of Grasso, Jones or Stern for 600 bucks? The truly great players are usually lousy teachers, I thought everyone knew that?...

  15. #39

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by princeplanet
    Sorry, but I feel I need to point out that I think this post is out of line. Saying Andre is "not very good", or suggesting he is not a "real" player is is just plain wrong. I checked him out and he's a fine player, and actually a straight up, down to earth teacher - a student could do way worse... I wouldn't pay that much for access to his site even if I was in need of his lessons, but that is no reason to pour scorn. I'm sure there are plenty of his students who feel they're getting their money's worth.

    BTW, do you really think you would learn more from the likes of Grasso, Jones or Stern for 600 bucks? The truly great players are usually lousy teachers, I thought everyone knew that?...
    Completely agree. Not completely sure even after reading the bulk of comments, what the grouse is with this guy. Most (?) on this site would seem to have amateur status. Are we /they really in any position to judge?

  16. #40

    User Info Menu

    I joined the course when it was much less and found it difficult to learn at my level then. Fast forward to this year and I am doing better. $500 seems like a lot if you do not tackle the extensive offer of material.

    Marc has good material and years worth at this point.

    If you are intermediate to advanced, it could be worth it if you like his style and of course his material.

    All this being said, I won’t continue with JGL another year. I’m going in a different direction with a local instructor and his immersive offering that includes sessions with his band. Two sessions in so far. I think learning with others live suits me better.

  17. #41

    User Info Menu

    I'd never take online lessons anyway, Covid or no Covid. Like eating food without tasting it.