The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Posts 26 to 31 of 31

User Info Menu

Thanks for the great video, Neatomic! Sonny was sure young in the video! Play live . . . Marinero

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I started on saxophone about a zillion years ago including some time as a music major before switching to engineering. Now I play mostly guitar. Don't think saxophone has ever helped with playing guitar at all. Maybe broadened my listening habits a bit and gave me a better appreciation of horn players. And maybe a few things about the discipline of practice. But in my experience, sax and guitar are just too different.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by emanresu
    Hey!

Another idea!

Tune your guitar to all M.3's. That way EVERYTHING is the same everywhere. It'd be the simplest instrument to learn.. but.. yeah, you do that. Then come back and tell us how you're doing
    I doing basically the same thing as the OP, trying to transfer my saxophone facility to guitar, and can relate for sure. To play any chord on saxophone I just rip it off, years of repetition make it second nature. It's maybe a little easier for me because I also play bass so have some knowledge of fingerboard geometry.

But the struggle is real. I play all voices but my main gig is baritone in a big band section. If I don't practice putting big air into it, I'll never cut it in the section. My poor neighbors, not to mention the wife. I could easily play 4 hours or more a day, but my wife, who doesn't complain, would go insane.

Instead of 3rds I am committed to all 4ths tuning. I have yet to find a downside. It makes sense! All you have to do is tune up the B and E string a semitone each, and then you have a logical instrument. Any chord voicing is the same across any group of strings!

User Info Menu

Can't resist a little derailment...

interesting bari sax interview:

User Info Menu

Jason is as great player, and right about air. Some of his other opinions are sort of controversia.

here he is at his best, if interested. With Mark Whitfield!

Last edited by Sam9; 02-07-2021 at 07:28 PM.

User Info Menu

For me a good way to learn the notes all over the fingerboard was to run scales
    • using the E, A or D string as the root
    • run the scale from the index finger, then middle, then ring (ideally add the ring finger, but I found less practical application from this)
    • If using A or D as a root, work the scale down to the low E string for completeness.

This not only seated the notes on the fjngerboard for lme, but also helped to ingrain some useful reflexes about where a note sits in a tune and how to move from that note tk another one.
    Hope this helps
    Ray