The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Posts 26 to 30 of 30

User Info Menu

It's funny how this forum can swing between, "learn every reharmonization technique and post-bop modal superimposition in every fingering and 12 keys" to "just meditate and let the notes come to you".

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Tal_175
    It's funny how this forum can swing between, "learn every reharmonization technique and post-bop modal superimposition in every fingering and 12 keys" to "just meditate and let the notes come to you".
    Kind of jazz in a nutshell.

You know some basic nuts and bolts, and you can play a lot of tunes. Nothing esoteric about it. But the jazz mind says "keep searching." So you continue learning.

But I really think a steady diet of chords, tunes, ear training (including copping licks) and arpeggios for a good solid year for any beginner will get them that foundation to where they CAN start exploring the less concrete stuff. By good lord, get the basics down first. Take it from a guy who realized it took him ten years to do what he could have in 1 or 2, if I hadn't kept getting sidetracked.

User Info Menu

But the jazz mind says "keep searching." So you continue learning.
    I think jazz by nature is experimental music... in direct sense...
    you try something in practice and find out if it works or not.

I think it is a part of its aesthetics, its philosphy (together with liberty and risk).

It is easy to say it is like that every art is like this but I think it is not.

I think this is where the opposition of 'play what you hear' against 'you should first play only then you hear' lues..
    lately I noticed it became more common to say the last.
    Obviously mature Beethoven did not need to play to hear something, was he less creative because of that? No. But as I ssid practical experiment is not typical for any art, for classical music in general - however great improvizers they were - it is not typical to noodle around the instrument with some approaches looking for new effects and sonoruties.

But I do not think it is really an opposition for jazz too...

'Play what you hear' does not mean 'stay within the limits of your comfort zone' .. actually I believe we often hear much more beyond it.

'What we hear' is not even notes, it is rather images or ideas... and when they sound they become expressed in notes.

'play what you hear' means trust your inner ear.
    It does not exclude - so typical for jazz - experimentation as described above but it rather describes the way you take the decision if it works or not.

When we play on an instrument with some new unknown approaches unexpected sounds - we discover sounds that somehow respond to 'what we hear' inside with our innner hearing...

Don't we all know that feeling of recognition of something we seem to never have met before?

User Info Menu

I think "play what you hear" is solid advice. It should be coupled with "and keep expanding what you hear."

User Info Menu

"But I really think a steady diet of chords, tunes, ear training (including copping licks) and arpeggios for a good solid year for any beginner will get them that foundation to where they CAN start exploring the less concrete stuff." Mr. B,

Hi, B,
    This is exactly what musicians did from previous generations when they started playing gigs. You had to assemble these various elements to perform successfully. If you ever played with a group on a steady basis( 6 months to a year), you'd find your playing changes(for the better) over time. This is the natural process that many in my generation who were working musicians followed. However, when your playing felt stale or stunted, many in my generation "woodshedded" as was the case with players like Coltrane when he was seeking his personal musical identity. This is the "mechanical" side of music that hopefully translates into creativity. So, a solid musical foundation is essential to personal growth. However, it will not buy you a personal voice or creativity. That comes from the gods.
    Play live . . . Marinero