The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Posts 26 to 29 of 29

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jazzereh
    I figure at this point that the OP is no longer around.

Threads where OP posts a single question on here and disappears are traditionally some of the longest ones
    Last edited by Lobomov; 12-18-2020 at 03:40 PM.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by christianm77
    If you read ‘theory’ and expect music to emerge you won’t.

So music first...
    Thats a quite lovely quote.

User Info Menu

I've transcribed a fair amount of jazz solos and didn't get much out of it by itself. I couldn't take the phrases out of the transcriptions and use them elsewhere. Analysis has helped me get more out of transcribing and take pieces out of the solo and use them elsewhere.

Now, I am not much of a player so take what I say with a grain of salt, but I find that although theory by itself is probably useless, but analyzing real jazz phrases with theory is a useful way to deconstruct them and use them in other contexts.

I've also found that focusing on specific things like connecting guide tones has been helpful. Bert Ligon's books are great, IMO.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by charlieparker
    I've transcribed a fair amount of jazz solos and didn't get much out of it by itself. I couldn't take the phrases out of the transcriptions and use them elsewhere. Analysis has helped me get more out of transcribing and take pieces out of the solo and use them elsewhere.

Now, I am not much of a player so take what I say with a grain of salt, but I find that although theory by itself is probably useless, but analyzing real jazz phrases with theory is a useful way to deconstruct them and use them in other contexts.

I've also found that focusing on specific things like connecting guide tones has been helpful. Bert Ligon's books are great, IMO.
    My experience with transcription is love/hate. I have to listen better to transcribe. It's time consuming and hurts my brain after a short while. But it can open up potentials in creativity.