The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Posts 26 to 36 of 36

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Hep To The Jive
    Nothing wrong with tabs though haha. Yes, the tabs help guitar teachers to stay in business. It's an industry! Sometimes I tell my students you should try to figure out a song by ear, and thinking if they did, they will not be back. It took about 5 lessons when I started out, before realizing I can learn those songs on my own. I stopped showing up for the lessons right there.
    Haha yeah. Me too actually. Although I did classical lessons for about a year which was helpful.

It being Christmas just doing Jingle Bells yesterday with my child beginner students. (Tis the season for ear training, because everyone can sing Christmas tunes right? The trick comes to able to sing a solo like you can sing Jingle Bells; but more on that elsewhere.)

Some kids pick this up shockingly fast, and all of them get into it without a problem. With adult learners I think they can do it better than they think, but it’s harder for them to just go for it. Adults think far too much.

Introducing these kids to tab as anything other than an aide memoire is imo an abuse of my responsibility.

But as you say it’s also a very bad business model haha. That’s why need progressively more complicated music. Hey maybe jazz has a purpose after all!

But yeah if you need guitar lessons to learn rock riffs?

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

I'm enjoying the discussion here! Yes I am well aware I can't quickly become a "true" jazz player, hell I can't guarantee that playing straight jazz will be my new goal, I at least just want to get some positive skills etc from jazz that I can translate to my own original music (which currently is rock based but I don't give myself limitation when I write stuff)...considering that even in rock I am a bad improvisor etc I figure exploring jazz may not make me an amazing jazz musician, but I can at least probably be a very good rock musician/improvisor/develop great ears for rock.

I already regret spending my formative years (I'm almost 30) just like exclusively using tab because I was obsessed with playing "exactly" like the original artist played the music, instead of using my ear to develop my own style/way of playing solos/songs that fit my playing.

User Info Menu

He did! He was there for a Master's a few years ahead of me. We didn't cross paths there but would wave at each other occasionally coming in and out of Harry Kolbe's shop....

PK

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jco5055
    I'm enjoying the discussion here! Yes I am well aware I can't quickly become a "true" jazz player, hell I can't guarantee that playing straight jazz will be my new goal, I at least just want to get some positive skills etc from jazz that I can translate to my own original music (which currently is rock based but I don't give myself limitation when I write stuff)...considering that even in rock I am a bad improvisor etc I figure exploring jazz may not make me an amazing jazz musician, but I can at least probably be a very good rock musician/improvisor/develop great ears for rock.

I already regret spending my formative years (I'm almost 30) just like exclusively using tab because I was obsessed with playing "exactly" like the original artist played the music, instead of using my ear to develop my own style/way of playing solos/songs that fit my playing.
    The joke is you’d get closer using your ears anyway.... because tab doesn’t give you all the nuance you’d pick up through close listening. OTOH it represents someone else’s best guess as to how it was played - And they might not have more of a clue than you sometimes!

User Info Menu

Obsessing with getting your fav artists music exactly as played is a positive thing in my book. I was like that too, just because I was very inspired. There is no harm in it at all, because most likely you will fail anyway, so the difference is your style. Many interviews I read would confirm that, famous musicians saying I tried so hard to copy this and that, but end up playing like myself. The trying is the key though.

User Info Menu

There is also value in getting it ever so slightly wrong...

Without mutations you can’t have evolution

Bruce Forman worries that everyone is getting it too accurate.... programs like Transcribe make it possible to get really exact.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by princeplanet
    Not trying to put anyone off, helping people cross over from Rock to Jazz is becoming a mission for me, and the best thing I've found to help is to shock them into the realisation of how much work it takes. You will soon appreciate how damn hard it is to be even an average Jazz guitarist!

Rock/shred guitarist new to jazz, suggestions for online courses/schools etc-full-metal-jacket-jpg

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jco5055
    Hi!

I'm a guitarist with a traditional shred/heavy metal/rock background, meaning my "heroes" growing up were guys like Eddie Van Halen, John Petrucci, George Lynch, Marty Friedman etc, but I've become enamored by jazz. I will admit overall my favorite jazz is more of the Jazz Fusion a la Gambale, Holdsworth, Greg Howe, Di Meola etc, as well as those newer fusion guys like Tom Quayle, Martin Miller and the like, but I would say so far my favorite jazz guitarist is George Benson (if Benson played fusion it would probably easily be my favorite guitar stuff). I also specifically like a lot of the new "prog metal" fusion esque players like Plini, as well as r&b flavored stuff (hence why I think Benson is my favorite), like often when I've seen the live/full band versions of a lot of top pop acts the soloing style etc is right up my alley.
    You can also probably imagine I'm concerned if going to "straight" jazz a la Jimmy Bruno, Morten Faerestrand etc would be too differing from my own style, but I think I could just take the Jazz elements and add it to my own music which is definitely more of a rock direction.

Thanks!
    Welcome. I took the "shred route to jazz". You are in good company.
    I bypassed the more modern players(because it was already familiar to my ear) and went old school: Charlie Christian, Wes Montgomery, George Benson, Herb Ellis, Joe Pass, Barney Kessel. Still have so much to learn, lol.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Litterick

Rock/shred guitarist new to jazz, suggestions for online courses/schools etc-full-metal-jacket-jpg
    Damn straight!

OP I think you are one the right path with the Truefire courses. That is a very accessible way to get some tunes under your hands and you can later decide how much energy you want to put into jazz. I don't think there is anything wrong with just casually wanting to learn some jazz tunes and a little theory. I would also recommend listening to as much jazz as you can.

User Info Menu

Another “other style into jazz” guy here. I played fingerstyle country blues and american primitive for several years. While there is some very advanced right hand stuff going on there, the left hand mostly hangs in first position. The main challenge is currently to get all those jazz chord voicings into my left hand.

I have several TrueFire courses as well but my issue with TrueFire is that they don’t explain much, it’s mostly “play this”, but not why. Tim Lerch and Sheryl Bailey are notable exceptions.

I discovered Barry Greene and his teaching style and material is much more inspiring to me. Also way more difficult, so I’m in at the deep end... check him out.

For an example of how jazz can apply to a pop/rnb situation check out the TrueFire neosoul lessons by Rory Ronde. Truly amazing material there even though he doesn’t explain much.
    Last edited by frankhond; 12-17-2020 at 02:15 AM.