The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 15 of 15

User Info Menu

Or both?

Mmm... Confused.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

The pitch on the recordings is C#, the fakebook sheet is in C. It could be a mistake or a simplification of some sort.

User Info Menu

Look on You Tube. Different people do it in different keys. If Coltrane's is in C# minor then probably that's the one.

For what it's worth, decent players like Keith Garrett/Pat Metheny and Joey Alexander do it in C#m. Lesser known players, backing tracks and teachers tend to go for Cm. Quite a few transcriptions play the Coltrane version but the visible music's in any old thing. Go figure :-)

In any case, does it really matter?

User Info Menu

At the jams I've been to it's usually called in C#.

John

User Info Menu

We usually do it in C#m, also for some variety given other tunes we might do in Cm:

User Info Menu

As noted by ragman1, does it matter? I suppose if you are playing a cover of someone's version you might do it in 'that' key but if you are playing it for your own purposes, use whatever key works for you. It's always puzzled me that people get stuck on what key to play a tune in. Why?

User Info Menu

In my experience playing jazz tunes is usually in whatever key is necessary for the vocalist or the horn players. Most of the common jazz keys such as B flat, E flat, etc., are generally for the convenience of the trumpeter and saxophonist, so that they only have to deal with one or two flats. If you want to make them unhappy, call for something in concert A. Dealing with different keys on a guitar is relatively straightforward compared to some other instruments, plus with some instruments you run into one end of the range or the other depending on what key the song is transposed into. This also affects vocalists more than the piano or the guitar.

I have noticed when there is no horn player or vocalist, guitarists sometimes transpose songs into somewhat guitar friendlier keys, such as playing "Round Midnight" in E minor. Some folks get quite offended by that, seeing it as rather louche.

User Info Menu

Also, seeing as most minor jazz blues are practised in Cm, certain players might be a bit put out to find they've got to do it in C#m :-)

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ragman1
    Also, seeing as most minor jazz blues are practised in Cm, certain players might be a bit put out to find they've got to do it in C#m :-)
    I have always played Equinox in C#m. This is one of the first so called "jazz" songs I have pushed my blues and rock guitar friends to play, since there are only 4 chords, and the 2 minor chords and 2 dom7 chords can use the same voicings. I have been asked, "why C# instead of C?". I tell them, that on acoustic guitar (which is mostly what we use), C# is more "centered". (i.e. one can play in the "middle" of the fretboard and with the action on an acoustic guitar that placement is easier).

I tell them the same thing when they ask why the jazz blues songs I have shown them (e.g. Blues in the Closet) are in Ab.

User Info Menu

There are 5 million C minor tunes. Play it in C#.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Clint 55
    There are 5 million C minor tunes. Play it in C#.
    Thanks. That's the best answer.

User Info Menu

Does it matter?

User Info Menu

Mike Stern in C mi
    Scott Henderson C mi
    Houston Person C mi
    Pharaoh Sanders D mi
    John Stowell Dmi

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rintincop;[URL="tel:1077365"
    1077365[/URL]]Does it matter?
    just for fun
    did Train actually play it in C# minor ?
    or is it a varispeed artifact from the studio
    or mastering process ?
    like they sped it up or something ?

i know that sounds a bit crazy but then
    why would a tenor sax player write/play it
    in C#m

a guitar player sure ....

anyone play some tenor here and can tell
    from the articulation etc ?

User Info Menu

First thing I checked out. As a matter of fact I think the sax is just ever-so-slightly out of concert BUT the piano and bass aren't. If it's been tweaked up a half- tone by the studio it's very good.

But I have to say it really doesn't matter. This is a simple slow-pace four-chord minor blues. That's all. Play it in every key. Use it for practice!

Also, tenor sax is a Bb instrument. What they play in C comes out as Bb. So he's actually playing in Eb minor. Or Dm if it's supposed to be in Cm, which I doubt. It's possible he was just giving himself an Eb minor workout. After all, the tune's nothing at all, is it? It's just ticking a necessary box.

Is that cynical? I hope not!