User Info Menu

Hi! I am curious about people who finished 3 volumes of Leavitt's method. After you complete it could you play score sheet music easily?

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

The three-book method series is not intended to be the "be all and end all" for reading, but it most certainly helps.

You should note that Leavitt also wrote his Melodic Rhythms for Guitar book, plus two full volumes devoted to reading. A few Melodic Rhythms are included in the 3-volume series of course. So check 'em out!

That said, you should also read fake books and scores if that is a goal. Be direct, and go straight to the source - music.

User Info Menu

There is no better foundation for reading than the Leavitt method. Any additional materials, especially under his name, are also excellent and fundamental.

User Info Menu

I could not agree more! Leavitt's material is worth of it. Especially the Melodic Rhythms, it develops sight reading and comping (expanding one's chord vocabulary).

Sight reading e.g. Real Book material has become much easier for me.

I'm about to start vol 3 Modern Method. Looks very heavy stuff. Is it worth of it?

User Info Menu

I went to the public library today, to borrow Leavitt Vol 1, to see what all the fuss was about.

I took it home, opened it and found the first four pages were missing.

User Info Menu

And it's in those first four pages he teaches you how to be a great musician, and answers the question of what is the meaning of life! Now you'll never know

Just gently pulling your leg. Pages 1 to 4 don't show much at all.

His books won't teach anyone how to play jazz, but they do give you necessary background stuff, scales, chords, reading.

User Info Menu

Aye. Had I known about him when I was starting to learn, I could have saved a lot of time and effort.

But I probably would have found his approach discouraging.
    Last edited by Litterick; 10-13-2020 at 02:44 AM.