Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 164
  1. #1

    User Info Menu

    Hi !

    I can't play the blues the way I want, I tried with metronome, I can do it but at the end I'm lost.
    Without I play an 11 1/2 or an 11 3/4 bar blues...

    I made some videos, I didn't want to post them at first... but I do it.

    I've got another wondering, fingers or pick ?




  2.  

    The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
     
  3. #2

    User Info Menu

    Créez votre propre piste d'accompagnement simple. Jouez ensuite avec la piste d'accompagnement pour entendre les changements d'accords et le rythme.

    Pourquoi essayez-vous de le faire en solo, surtout si vous ne pouvez pas le faire correctement en solo!

  4. #3

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by ragman1
    Créez votre propre piste d'accompagnement simple. Jouez ensuite avec la piste d'accompagnement pour entendre les changements d'accords et le rythme.

    Pourquoi essayez-vous de le faire en solo, surtout si vous ne pouvez pas le faire correctement en solo!
    Parce que ça ne sert strictement à rien sinon pourquoi jouer de la guitare ?
    C'est un instrument polyphonique.

  5. #4

    User Info Menu

    Ce n'est pas le propos. Ce que vous faites ne fonctionne pas, de votre propre aveu. Pratiquez correctement si vous voulez des résultats!

  6. #5

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by ragman1
    Ce n'est pas le propos. Ce que vous faites ne fonctionne pas, de votre propre aveu. Pratiquez correctement si vous voulez des résultats!
    Don't worry, it will work. Don't write in French, nobody can understand.

  7. #6

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by ragman1
    Créez votre propre piste d'accompagnement simple. Jouez ensuite avec la piste d'accompagnement pour entendre les changements d'accords et le rythme.

    Pourquoi essayez-vous de le faire en solo, surtout si vous ne pouvez pas le faire correctement en solo!
    Don't worry I hear the changes, if you can't hear them in what I posted, you won't hear them anywhere.

  8. #7

    User Info Menu

    consider yourself lucky...old blues is not about metronome time...greats like lightnin hopkins and hooker often missed the "traditional changes"...blues is not about that

    just knock the metronome off...that's whats throwing you off!

    rely on your inner blues time!

    cheers

  9. #8

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by neatomic
    consider yourself lucky...old blues is not about metronome time...greats like lightnin hopkins and hooker often missed the "traditional changes"...blues is not about that

    just knock the metronome off...that's whats throwing you off!

    rely on your inner blues time!

    cheers
    Great ! Great humour !
    That's what I thought first but I think it's good to know how to do it on the guitar.

  10. #9

    User Info Menu

    I tried with metronome, I can do it but at the end I'm lost.
    Without I play an 11 1/2 or an 11 3/4 bar blues...
    If you're playing all by yourself without a measure, how do you know you've only played 11 1/2 or 11 3/4 bars?

  11. #10

    User Info Menu

    To get a really firm grip on the 3 x 4 measure blues format it helps when you sing some lyrics along, in your head. Another practical approach for learning to stay within any given form is playing rhythmically similar lines , preferably not longer than 2 measures.
    Last but not least : play along with records or practice tracks as often as you can. Learn blues tunes/themes by Kenny Burrell and others, like this :



  12. #11

    User Info Menu


  13. #12

    User Info Menu

    Well, all is explained in my videos, when I play a solo, a long one, when I start again with chords, I'm on the wrong place.
    About heads, I know some.

  14. #13

    User Info Menu

    What you describe is not a problem with blues. It's a problem with time and pulse. It's something everybody has to work on. Blues is the simplest form to nail, most other standard forms are even harder. Especially the modal tunes with few changes.

    The way I work on this is, I simplify my lines rhythmically until I get a good feel of the form and the down beats. Then gradually get more adventurous. Playing bass lines or continuous 8th note lines are a good warm up. Then repeating but more complex rhythmic patterns that include anticipations. Maybe chords stabbed here and there.
    Last edited by Tal_175; 09-06-2020 at 09:18 AM.

  15. #14

    User Info Menu

    Tap your feet, bounce your leg. That should do it.

    See 1.00...


  16. #15

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by ragman1
    If you're playing all by yourself without a measure, how do you know you've only played 11 1/2 or 11 3/4 bars?
    When I listen to it, I know I did it, it's like a surprise, not a good one.

  17. #16

    User Info Menu

    Lionel -

    I just put on the recorder, counted 3-4, and started to improvise (not a head) over a jazz 12-bar in G. I wasn't tapping my foot, just did it by feel for a few minutes. Then I went back and tapped the beat over it to see how accurate it was.

    Apart from one small hesitation it was spot on. I thought it probably would be because my sense of time is pretty good. BUT - and I know it's each to his own thing - I found it a completely sterile experience. I like having the sound of the harmonies there, I can feed off it and move with it. It aids expression, helps you take off.

    I understand why someone would do a chord melody style by themselves, it's supposed to be a solo thing, but playing single notes by oneself... I'm not sure there's much point.

    By the way, when you do use some kind of backing, do you keep good time then?

  18. #17

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by ragman1
    Lionel -

    I just put on the recorder, counted 3-4, and started to improvise (not a head) over a jazz 12-bar in G. I wasn't tapping my foot, just did it by feel for a few minutes. Then I went back and tapped the beat over it to see how accurate it was.

    Apart from one small hesitation it was spot on. I thought it probably would be because my sense of time is pretty good. BUT - and I know it's each to his own thing - I found it a completely sterile experience. I like having the sound of the harmonies there, I can feed off it and move with it. It aids expression, helps you take off.

    I understand why someone would do a chord melody style by themselves, it's supposed to be a solo thing, but playing single notes by oneself... I'm not sure there's much point.

    By the way, when you do use some kind of backing, do you keep good time then?
    I would be glad to listen to what you recorded.
    Well, you don't need chords to make sound the changes, coherent lines make them sound by their own.
    About the beat, I'm pretty "good" when I'm comping (piano, guitar or bass).
    But when I'm playing melodies, I am not so accurate.

  19. #18

    User Info Menu

    Incidentally, I don't think it matters if one does deviate from strict rhythm a bit. Who cares? What's more important is the overall feel of what you're doing, as neatomic said above.

    I guarantee this is technically all over the place. Who gives a toss?


  20. #19

    User Info Menu

    If you lost the rhythm playing with a backing, that's one thing and probably not good. But all by yourself? Doesn't matter.

    You're being too hard on yourself. Have some fun, man!

    I would be glad to listen to what you recorded.
    Sorry, didn't keep it. Wouldn't help you anyway.

  21. #20

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by ragman1
    If you lost the rhythm playing with a backing, that's one thing and probably not good. But all by yourself? Doesn't matter.

    You're being too hard on yourself. Have some fun, man!



    Sorry, didn't keep it. Wouldn't help you anyway.
    I didn't say "lost", I said it wasn't so accurate.
    Yes, I'm hard because I want to improve, it's been years I've been trying to play the guitar.
    I would like to do on the guitar what I do on the saxophone.

  22. #21

    User Info Menu

    I still think you're being too strict with yourself, you're not a machine.

    I did another one. I speeded up slightly at the beginning of the 3rd chorus, trying to rush it, but I recovered. The first one was better :-)

    First I played it, then I tapped it, then I put the chords in. Like I said, it won't help you. Use a backing, it's not self-torture!


  23. #22

    User Info Menu

    The transcription is bar by bar but Brecker isn't playing in time. Anybody care? No-o-o-o


  24. #23

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by Lionelsax
    Don't worry, it will work. Don't write in French, nobody can understand.
    Better not underestimate the audience

    English speakers quite often say "Thanks" and "Please" to someone who tries to help

  25. #24

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by ragman1
    I still think you're being too strict with yourself, you're not a machine.

    I did another one. I speeded up slightly at the beginning of the 3rd chorus, trying to rush it, but I recovered. The first one was better :-)

    First I played it, then I tapped it, then I put the chords in. Like I said, it won't help you. Use a backing, it's not self-torture!

    Thanks for sharing this, it's lovely.
    I really appreciate.

  26. #25

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by mhch
    Better not underestimate the audience

    English speakers quite often say "Thanks" and "Please" to someone who tries to help
    He said it won't help, why should I thank someone ?
    I think I'm going to make new friends.