The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678
Posts 176 to 179 of 179

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Lionelsax
    […] Sometimes the fingers don't follow very well. […]
    I have the same problem so today for the first time I tried the slow improvising exercise (follow link in the table of contents) from the Tristano school — and it really helps.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Bop Head
    I have the same problem so today for the first time I tried the slow improvising exercise (follow link in the table of contents) from the Tristano school — and it really helps.
    good stuff..

it shows the value of melodic patterns .. in all keys..and yes the foundation is the major/minor scale..but it is what is found in those basic scales

User Info Menu

I know the OP was a while ago, but I feel like he plays better than me for sure but we end up with some of the same issues. I noticed a couple of spots with triplets, dotted quarters, and some of the offbeat stuff where he came out of them a bit off...no biggie. And if I'm strictly counting a few of the changes are at teh wrong spot...no biggie either. My brain gets stuck in an eighth note pattern and as can't switch to a triplet feel that fast. I'm hoping more practice makes it better?

One thing I like to do is keep it real simple. We mostly come from some other genre that we can play well and fast. Jazz will knock you on your butt! So I start with just a nice bass line, then add simple eighth note arpeggios, then try adding extensions, then triplets, then do it all faster. I usually fall apart half way through that process but the more I do the simple things the more it drills the bass line into my head, the swing, the feel, the changes. So when I go to solo or improve the simpler stuff is not even on my mind. I like to play very simply and focus on tasty notes here and there and add complexity once the simpler step is basically musical muscle memory.

I'm not a great Jazz player so I try to take the Miles Davis approach of choosing each note very well and leaving space for the music to breath. But maybe I would choose to be more adventurous if I were better

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by AaronMColeman
    I know the OP was a while ago, but I feel like he plays better than me for sure but we end up with some of the same issues. I noticed a couple of spots with triplets, dotted quarters, and some of the offbeat stuff where he came out of them a bit off...no biggie. And if I'm strictly counting a few of the changes are at teh wrong spot...no biggie either. My brain gets stuck in an eighth note pattern and as can't switch to a triplet feel that fast. I'm hoping more practice makes it better?

One thing I like to do is keep it real simple. We mostly come from some other genre that we can play well and fast. Jazz will knock you on your butt! So I start with just a nice bass line, then add simple eighth note arpeggios, then try adding extensions, then triplets, then do it all faster. I usually fall apart half way through that process but the more I do the simple things the more it drills the bass line into my head, the swing, the feel, the changes. So when I go to solo or improve the simpler stuff is not even on my mind. I like to play very simply and focus on tasty notes here and there and add complexity once the simpler step is basically musical muscle memory.

I'm not a great Jazz player so I try to take the Miles Davis approach of choosing each note very well and leaving space for the music to breath. But maybe I would choose to be more adventurous if I were better
    This thread is more interesting and it's funnier.
    Does it swing? Can you call this "swing" or do you call it another way ?