Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
Posts 151 to 157 of 157

User Info Menu

Not enough clichés, actually. Just learn simple bluesy phrases and licks. You don't know your simple notes well enough. Probably you don't listen to enough of it. When you've got them then you can embellish them. They're not difficult.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ragman1
    Not enough clichés, actually. Just learn simple bluesy phrases and licks. You don't know your simple notes well enough. Probably you don't listen to enough of it. When you've got them then you can embellish them. They're not difficult.

I am sorry, but I really feel you're just a guitarist. You're the best and you just talk.

Stop talking and play for real without repeating the same scale all over something.

Last edited by Lionelsax; 09-26-2020 at 11:18 AM.

User Info Menu

Learn your notes, scales, licks. You haven't, that's obvious in your playing.

Nothing to do with me. I could be the worst guitarist in the world and it would still be true.

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

It sounded like you have a some nice things going. Only thing I might offer is..

play something a little slower,
    use more space (i.e. take more "breaths" like a horn player)
    emulate more minimalistic and melodic players for a little while (Dexter Gordon comes to mind, Grant Green maybe)
    then inch toward the busier bebop style, remaining in full control of your ideas as you progress
    keep working, working, working

User Info Menu

Thanks for sharing your playing!
    The tempo you try to play is too high. It is about 102 on the 2 and 4. Therefor you stumble over your 8ths or try to avoid them.
    You have to get back in tempo f.e. 70 on beats 2 and 4 and groove and swing with very simple 8ths.
    And with that feeling, the groove and swing, you very slowly increase the speed and swing on f.e. 75.
    etc. etc. But keep that groove and swing feel, which might mean that you cannot play what you use to play. So you will have to redefine your licks and ideas.

Here is an example:

Hans

User Info Menu

Those videos you posted, you're playing the song too fast and stumbling around. Slow it down a bit, if you can't get through the head how are you expecting to improvise.