The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 28

User Info Menu

To help me ground myself in the Dorian mode, I am looking for a standard whose melody is based on that mode that I can use as a reference point. Thanks

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

The songbook is all functional harmony, no Dorian there. Try So What or Impressions

User Info Menu

"Summertime" is the closest I can think of, but the melody is not Dorian, there is no major sixth in it.

User Info Menu

Eleanor Rigby has the major sixth in the verse but is mainly Aeolian. Scarborough Fair is Dorian melody. Hendrix's Purple Haze (solo part ?) and many Santana songs if you want to venture into rock.

User Info Menu

Little Sunflower by Freddie Hubbard.

User Info Menu

What Graham said. There are backing tracks on You Tube.

User Info Menu

"Jazz Standards" (post '59) as opposed to "American Songbook" should provide a lot of examples.

User Info Menu

Invitation.

Last edited by grahambop; 09-02-2020 at 01:10 PM.

User Info Menu

The melody of Scarborough Fair is Dorian. Not a standard as such but jazzers like Wes Montgomery and Herbie Hancock have done versions of it. Also on You Tube.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ragman1
    The melody of Scarborough Fair is Dorian. Not a standard as such but jazzers like Wes Montgomery and Herbie Hancock have done versions of it. Also on You Tube.
    Right. Not a twentieth century Great American Songbook standard by any means, lol. 'Twas intended to evoke a certain Renaissance, or even Medieval mood, yes?

User Info Menu

Stolen Moments.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by GTRMan
    Right. Not a twentieth century Great American Songbook standard by any means, lol.
    We said that.

'Twas intended to evoke a certain Renaissance, or even Medieval mood, yes?
    Scarborough Fair (ballad) - Wikipedia

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by grahambop
    Stolen Moments.
    Yes, the melody of that one is strictly C Dorian. I wasn't sure about Invitation. I haven't analysed it properly. Lots of different Dorians? That one's more complex.

Anyway, the OP's hardly stuck for choice now :-)

User Info Menu

Yeah invitation is dorian. Good catch! Don’t know why I didn’t think of that one. And that is GASB tune (albeit from a movie.)

User Info Menu

Not GASB but from the pre-modal era.

Six Appeal - Charlie Christian (I think)

Middle 8 of ‘Douce Ambience’ (Django)

Dorian is a very ‘folky’ natural sound; predates modern tonality.

User Info Menu

Footprints
    Recorda-me

User Info Menu

I cannot think of a dorian tune by Cole Porter, Richard Rodgers, Gershwin, Jerome Kern, Irving Berlin, Jimmy Van Heusen, Hoagy Carmichael, or Harold Arlen.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by GTRMan
    Right. Not a twentieth century Great American Songbook standard by any means, lol. 'Twas intended to evoke a certain Renaissance, or even Medieval mood, yes?
    It actually is a tune from that period

Thank you all for your helpful responses—exactly what I was hoping for, and I wouldn’t have come up with any of the songs on my own. I’ll go track down that other thread now. Be well. Vance

User Info Menu

Hooray, JGO forum actually helps out OP for once!!!

User Info Menu

"Dearly Beloved" sounds like one.

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by vance h
    To help me ground myself in the Dorian mode, I am looking for a standard whose melody is based on that mode that I can use as a reference point. Thanks
    Seeing "Autumn Leaves" in G.

A Dorian gives you the entire melody with an additional Ab.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by WILSON 1
    Seeing "Autumn Leaves" in G.

A Dorian gives you the entire melody with an additional Ab.
    I'm confused; aren't the notes of A Dorian, A, B, C, D, E, F# G (since G major is G, A, B, C, D, E, F#).

What is this "additional Ab"?

Thanks!
    Last edited by jameslovestal; 09-04-2020 at 03:31 PM.

Thanks again, all. And special thanks to Grahambop for introducing me to Maxine Sullivan. I’m definitely going to seek out more of her work. Vance.