The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Posts 26 to 28 of 28

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by vance h
    Thanks again, all. And special thanks to Grahambop for introducing me to Maxine Sullivan. I’m definitely going to seek out more of her work. Vance.
    Yes her voice is beautiful on that song, I should also check her out properly.

I don’t know how I remembered that tune, I knew there was an interesting old minor key song I had heard on the radio years ago, but I couldn’t remember what it was. Then the next morning as soon as I thought about it again, the phrase ‘ribbon bow’ popped into my mind and that was enough for me to find it.

Strange how the unconscious memory works!

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jameslovestal
    I'm confused; aren't the notes of A Dorian, A, B, C, D, E, F# G (since G major is G, A, B, C, D, E, F#).

What is this "additional Ab"?

Thanks!
    Well, first, it's usually in Em (but sometimes in Gm).

Dorian of Em is D maj. That's D E F# G A B C#. That accounts for the whole melody except the D# (from E melodic minor). There's also an A# passing note - see chart. So it's not really 'in Dorian', that's a bit of a stretch :-)

American songbook melody based on Dorian mode-aleaves-jpg

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jameslovestal
    I'm confused; aren't the notes of A Dorian, A, B, C, D, E, F# G (since G major is G, A, B, C, D, E, F#).

What is this "additional Ab"?

Thanks!
    American songbook melody based on Dorian mode-screen-shot-2020-09-05-1-49-07-pm-png

Whoops...my bad. Eb not Ab sorry for the bad night sleep.

You can play the entire melody in A dorian mapped above with an additional Eb.

Easy to memorize and transpose too as ii-7 V7 I IV vii-7b5 III7

That III7 is all you have to remember.