The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567
Posts 151 to 162 of 162

User Info Menu

Yes Steve! My first real teacher had me reading out of clarinet, violin and flute books. Rimsky-Kosokov, Mendelssohn, Paganini. Of course I listened to guitar players. But I REALLY listened to Miles, Cannonball, Coltrane, Brownie, Hubbard, Dolphy, Oscar, Herbie, Corea, Jarrett, Cedar, Brecker, Liebman. That’s where the language was for me. The notes. The phrasing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

These days a lot of my favorite music is film sound tracks. Dave Grusins Milegro Beanfields is one good one,but there are thousands. John Williams and Henry Mancini who was praised at the Grammy awards , have written many. A teacher at Berklee,John Damien used to have his students play the newspaper! In other words read a story and try and translate the emotional content into music! Then maybe you are on your way to film composition.

User Info Menu

I would love to write for films! The theme from Newsroom, Thomas Newman I think is brilliant. I loved the score to Glory. So many others.

User Info Menu

I love this. Little unexpected hiccup in the time. The drama and glory of the newsroom. Brilliant.

Mick Goodrick suggested to go for a walk in the park and pretend I was a guitar! or that sometimes it was beneficial to take a day off from the guitar and come back fresh! But many of his students were also full time music college students so that makes a difference. These days I like to play everyday.His book The Advancing Guitarist covers many possibilities! and is Highly Recommended for serious jazz guitar students! The Berklee Pickstyle Classical is a book Ive used on many background music type gigs and introduces young players to J.S.BACH among others! To me he is the GREATEST MUSICIAN IN HISTORY!

User Info Menu

Bach!!!! Yes. Yes. Without a doubt.

Oh yea Henry that was a really good track! It was Jacob Collier who praised the late great Henry Mancini when he won his Grammy award. In the wonderful movie Bird Charlie Parker wanted to see a great film composers home,I forget which one? The sound track on Bird was TOPS!

Henry I just listened to your version of Days of Wine and Roses and it sounds excellent!It swings and is smooth! I really like the way you handle alt. dom. chords! I have my attempt at playing flamenco jazz improv on Steve Burchfield Live on YT if you want hear me. A lifetime student! Ha Ha! but true!

User Info Menu

"Mick Goodrick suggested . . . that sometimes it was beneficial to take a day off from the guitar and come back fresh! Steve Burchfield

Hi, S,
    This is a very helpful practice for anyone involved in the Arts. Musicians who play many hours a day get what novelists/poets call "Writer's Block." It is a very common occurrence and is a form of overload. At one time in my life when I was playing full-time as a saxophonist, I practiced 4 hours a day and gigged 5-6 nights a week. I would frequently hit these periods and stop practicing for, sometimes, as long as 2 weeks. In the time I usually reserved for practice, I would read, take long walks, listen to music, clean my instruments, go for a swim, talk with friends, etc. It always worked and and I returned with more vigor and creativity.
    Today, before Covid, there are no more five-nighters, only solo work on a much less frequent basis and it hasn't been a problem since I only practice 3 hours daily. The mind is like a glass of water . . . it has its limits. Play live . . . Marinero

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by steve burchfield
    Henry I just listened to your version of Days of Wine and Roses and it sounds excellent!It swings and is smooth! I really like the way you handle alt. dom. chords! I have my attempt at playing flamenco jazz improv on Steve Burchfield Live on YT if you want hear me. A lifetime student! Ha Ha! but true!
    Thank you!! Oops! Which one was that? On my soundcloud page? I'll have to double check. And I'l check out you YT as well! Thank you!

Was it The Days of Wine and Roses from my Jazz Standards Vol 1 album?

User Info Menu

Nice. Steve Burchfield Live. Is Sunnyland you too?

User Info Menu

I'd say the original post/question is something of a "mere" thought experiment, but there have been some great comments!