The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Hi! I've been playing guitar for some time now and been thinking of starting learn jazz. Where should start? Should I just start listening to some jazz, if so which
    songs/albums would you recommend?

I've been mainly playing rock and metal, so I think I can play at least some of the stuff but understanding how everything (Chords, Melody, Harmony etc.) works is really hard. To be honest when I been trying to get to jazz I always end giving up.

Also right now I only have an Schecter guitar which isn't really suited to jazz so what would be a good guitar to play jazz with. It also should be versatile enough so I can play some blues and other genres with it. Been thinking about semi-hollow ibanez but I don't really know yet what would be good. My budget is around 1000€ give or take.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

You can play jazz on any electric guitar. The key is listening to enough jazz and finding tunes that speak strongly to you.

User Info Menu

I would spend a couple of hours getting a sense of the evolution of jazz guitar. So listen to a couple of tunes each from the following in this order:

Charlie Christian
    Barney Kessel
    Tal Farlow
    Joe Pass
    Wes Montgomery
    Grant Green
    Kenny Burrell

Then the Boomers:
    George Benson
    Pat Martino
    John McLaughlin
    Larry Coryell
    Allan Holdsworth
    Pat Metheny

others here and I can help with sample tunes if needed.

Just about the first tune I heard when switching from rock was recommended by my teacher - California Dreaming, from the White Rabbit album, George Benson. That did it for me, then I went back and checked out Charlie Christian and rolled forward.

Benson served as a gateway drug for a rock listener and player..

Check it out.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by EJJS
    Where should start? Should I just start listening to some jazz, if so which
    songs/albums would you recommend?
    Just curious, if you don't already listen to jazz, why do you want to learn how play jazz?

What would you say to someone who asked you "I want to learn heavy metal, should I start listening to it?"
    Last edited by Tal_175; 08-13-2020 at 06:09 AM.

User Info Menu

Please note that if one scrolls down this forum (getting started), there are many threads about how to get started with playing jazz (and some specific to rock\blues players wishing to do so).

Great advise there. So I would check those out.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Tal_175
    Just curious, if you don't already listen to jazz, why do you want to learn how play jazz?

What would you say to someone who asked you "I want to learn heavy metal, should I start listening to it?"
    Because as has been the case with so many others who have listened to and played rock, he is drawn to elaborate instrumental expression, and rock has somehow.... run out of gas.

He is drawn to something more.

But that’s just a guess.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by GTRMan
    But that’s just a guess.
    I say he mostly wants to get a different guitar.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by cosmic gumbo
    I say he mostly wants to get a different guitar.
    my tuppence ....

listen to some good guitar jazz (Wes Barney , Herb etc)
    get hold of a cheap good jazz box
    (eg ibanez af55)
    set it up with fat (flat wound) strings
    (eg TI jazz swings)
    your amp will do fine for practicing at home
    learn the CAGED shapes , major scale and Arps ....
    preferably with a teacher
    or at least a decent book
    learn Bruce Formans 10 first tunes
    get a real book
    put irealb in your phone
    always keep your guitar out and within easy reach ....
    jam with other musicians and singers
    whenever possible

ask any specific questions here

have at it ! and always have fun !

User Info Menu

I only really 'got' jazz when I started listening to certain Thelonious Monk albums in my parents' record collection - suddenly what I'd previously thought of as muzak, easy listening sounded a lot more cool and edgy. So I hesitate to recommend any particular jazz guitarists because, well, speaking personally none of the guitarists got me into jazz in the first place, and I still listen to Coltrane, Mingus, Dolphy, Ellington, Shorter and other pianists and sax players way more than I do any of the guitarists to be honest.

I would recommend checking out some of the jazz tutors online. Even if you're not especially 'into jazz' right now it certainly can't hurt you to do a few beginner's introductory lessons. Find a beginner's jazz guitar course from Truefire or something. You'll soon know if you're going to get hooked on it or not. These days you can sample several lessons from a teacher online before spending any money. Check out teachers like Martin Taylor, Frank Vignola, Tim Lerch, Barry Greene, Vinnie Raniolo, Fred Sokolow -- browse enough posts on this forum and you'll find tons of other recommendations. Or get a local teacher in person of course.
    Last edited by Matt Milton; 08-13-2020 at 04:05 PM.