The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Posts 26 to 27 of 27

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by JohnRoss
    I've been playing for over thirty years...It's no wonder the original poster is confused with all this invented terminology...Sounds like Greek to me.....How do you then go on to get 3 notes on the 6th string, in C?...This is light years away from traditional theory, unless the meaning of the word 'traditional' has changed as well. But never mind.
    I'll reply in small bites:

You've been playing for over 30 years: Good for you, I've been playing for 20!

Invented terminology: I didn't invent the name of the modes. The Greek names are used in both traditional music theory, and in jazz theory.

Sounds like Greek to you: It is Greek names, and they're used in Western music theory.

How to get 3 notes on the low E-string in the key of C starting from F on the 1st fret:
    - this is pretty simple. The key of C major contains the following notes: C-D-E-F-G-A-B. If you start playing the C major scale on the note F, you'll end up playing these notes: F-G-A-B-C-D-E-F. This is like a major scale, but with a sharp 4th degree, making it F Lydian. If you pay attention you'll notice the notes are still the same as the notes in C major. They're just arranged differently. To reach modern standards of technique many teachers now teach 3-note per string scale patterns, because it makes it easier to play with even technique and faster speed.
    So back to your question: Starting the C major scale on F (lydian mode) on the 1st fret, low E-string with 3-note-per-string patterns, you'll play it this way:

Low E-string:
    1st fret, (F), 1st finger
    3rd fret, (G), 2nd finger
    5th fret, (A), 4th finger

A-string:
    2nd fret, (B), 1st finger
    3rd fret, (C), 2nd finger
    5th fret, (D), 4th finger

D-string:
    2nd fret, (E), 1st finger
    3rd fret, (F), 2nd finger
    5th fret, (G), 4th finger

G-string:
    2nd fret, (A), 1st finger
    4th fret, (B), 3rd finger
    5th fret, (C), 4th finger

B-string:
    3rd fret, (D), 1st finger
    5th fret, (E), 3rd finger
    6th fret, (F), 4th finger

high e-string:
    3rd fret, (G), 1st finger
    5th fret, (A), 3rd finger
    7th fret, (B), 4th finger

And for those so inclined: you can continue play the note up 'till C on the 8th fret by sliding the 4th finger.

This way of playing a scale, I (and many others) call the Lydian-pattern or fingering. This way of placing the fingers can be used in all keys. If you slide all the notes two frets (starting on the 3rd fret), you're in G lydian and/or D major/ionian. Each mode can be arranged in similar fingerings/patterns, and unless you want to start every scale on the root note, it's a good idea to learn these. That also why I say a major scale will have 7 different fingerings/patterns = correlates to a mode.

I don't know why you decided to turn offensive on me. All I've tried to do is to give pointers on how to learn scales. I really don't care. I only took the time to respond because you insinuated that I didn't knew what I was talking about.
    The name of the modes, the theory I've mentioned are from traditional music theory. The fingering is not my invention either. It (and the mode fingerings) can be found in many books. This is it from me in this thread.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by C.A.JO.
    I don't know why you decided to turn offensive on me. All I've tried to do is to give pointers on how to learn
    Sorry, I didn't nean to be offensive, and I should not have implied that you didn't know what you were talking about. You obviously do, and your good manners put me to shame, as well.