User Info Menu

I'm trying to find a website that I was sure I bookmarked, but apparently I didn't...

Earlier this year (or maybe last year) I found this website orientated towards the traditional jazz players. The name of the site *could* have been "Club something-or-other" but I'm not 100% certain. The *may* have been geared towards horn players, I'm not sure.

Anyway, this site had some kind of "canonical list of 10 jazz tunes for beginners to learn" -- all trad jazz tunes, of course. I remember there being a couple Fats Waller tunes at the beginning of the list, and the last one was All of Me. That was the most difficult song in the list according to the website. After All of Me the beginner player would graduate onto bigger and better things, I guess.

"The perfect list for a blockhead like me," I thought at the time. "I will make sure to bookmark it so I can come back to it later."

Which, being a blockhead, I never did.

I have tried all kind of internet searches, to no avail. One thing I found out was, lots of people have their list of beginner's tunes! Most of these include Autumn Leaves, of course.

So, does this website I'm talking about ring a bell? Anybody know what site I may have visited and then lost track of? Thanks!
    Last edited by Howzabopping; 04-09-2020 at 10:07 PM. Reason: past tense!

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I don’t have this link, but similar lists can be had at learnjazzstandards.com, or Jens Larsen’s website. There may even be one on jazzguitar.be.

The concept of easy is different for different people... I for one have a real hard time learning tunes I find uninspiring, no matter how easy they are. So my suggestion is to look at some of those lists and pick stuff you really like.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Howzabopping
    Anyway, this site had some kind of "canonical list of 10 jazz tunes for beginners to learn" -- all trad jazz tunes, of course.
    Trad jazz is a British genre that was a 50s, 60s revival of American Dixieland jazz. This makes it a bit tougher to figure out what you're looking for. It's not an American jazz term at all.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by cosmic gumbo
    Trad jazz is a British genre that was a 50s, 60s revival of American Dixieland jazz. This makes it a bit tougher to figure out what you're looking for. It's not an American jazz term at all.
    "Trad Jazz" is a term in common use in New Orleans. WWOZ, THE jazz station in NOLA, hosts several "trad jazz" shows.

One can even attend a "trad jazz camp" in the summer. (See tradjazzcamp.com for details.)

Thanks everybody for all the suggestions.

User Info Menu

Two "famous for jazz" musicians recently published (via twitter and via podcasts) their lists of essential standards for beginners.

# # #

Bruce Forman, on his "Guitar Wank" podcast:

Guitarwank - Episode 99V April 30th, 2018
    Guitarwank - Episode 99R April 4th, 2018
    Guitarwank - Episode 99Q March 26th 2018

1. Autumn Leaves — For learning about “the cycle” (ii-V-I).
    2. Take the ‘A’ Train — Most obvious use of the II7 chord. This device (I to II7) turns up in other tunes like “Girl from Ipanema”, “Jersey Bounce” and more.
    3. All the Things You Are— While it is hard, it is the best example of how the ii-V-I cycle works, and it has a great song form.
    4. It Could Happen to You (or Ain't Misbehavin’) — For chromatic ascending bass lines.
    5. There Will Never Be Another You — For concept of backcycling to IV.
    6. Honeysuckle Rose— For more experience with the ii-V-I cycle, for the classic bridge, and for the highly quoted melody.
    7. Satin Doll — Because everyone plays it, and it’s a great study of the ii-V-I cycle.
    8. Green Dolphin Street — Because of the cool song form, the "triadic shift (C to Eb to D to Db), and also because of the backcyling through relative minor.
    9. Just Friends — Because it starts on the IV, has a great melody. Listen to Charlie Parker play it with strings.
    10. Stella by Starlight — Another difficult tune, but everyone wants to play it, so you've got to know it.

Bruce expounded on his podcast’s April 30th, 2018 episode

Summertime — Minor blues, important because “it tells you what the chords needs to be, if you just listen to the melody”. The melody is like a coat hanger, providing a structure over which you “hang the harmony”. Summertime thus teaches you how important the relationship is between the melody and the harmonies. Also, it is a great tune for learning how to build a solo out of a melody (rather than building a solo out of patterns and licks).

Honeysuckle Rose — “The best study of ii-V-I in the world” and has an “iconic melodic phrase that Charlie Parker in so many different variations in his solos”.

Take the ‘A’ Train — Most obvious use of the II7 chord. This device (I to II7) turns up in other tunes like “Girl from Ipanema”, “Jersey Bounce” and more. The melody outlines this harmonic device clearly, and also features a #11 over the second chord, adding tension. There’s no modulation happening, but it’s adding the colors of the #11 and the #5 to the melodic pallette. It also has a version of the Honeysuckle Rose bridge.

Autumn Leaves — Good for learning about “the cycle” (ii-V-I), but also important because the melody features a pattern moved around over chords, and illustrates how a melodic fragment can relate to the fragment before it and the fragment after it. Motific development and continuity.

# # #

Ethan Iverson of the Bad Plus, on Twitter:

1. [Blues]
    2. [Rhythm Changes] Oleo / Anthropology / Lester Leaps In / Eternal Triangle
    3. Lady be Good
    4. Cherokee
    5. There is No Greater Love
    6. All the Things You Are
    7. Stella By Starlight
    8. I'll Remember April
    9. Invitation
    10. Green Dolphin St.

Iverson came up with the above list after compiling a longer list of "core repertoire"

Twitter

Honeysuckle Rose
    Body and Soul
    I Got Rhythm
    Lady Be Good
    Cherokee
    Sweet Georgia Brown
    Indiana
    Embraceable You
    All the Things You Are
    Autumn Leaves
    Lover Man
    The Way You Look Tonight
    Out of Nowhere
    After You've Gone
    Memories of You
    I Can't Get Started
    How High the Moon
    How Deep Is the Ocean
    On the Sunny Side of the Street
    My Old Flame
    Don't Blame Me
    East of the Sun
    All God's Chillun Got Rhythm
    I Get a Kick Out of You
    Just One of Those Things
    Everything Happens to Me
    April in Paris
    If I Should Lose You
    Summertime
    I Didn't Know What Time It Was
    Smoke Gets in Your Eyes
    Yesterdays
    What's New
    Star Eyes
    Just You, Just Me
    Stardust
    Limehouse Blues
    My Melancholy Baby
    Easy to Love
    Laura
    I'll Remember April
    The Song Is You
    Lover
    These Foolish Things
    Pennies from Heaven
    Strike Up the Band
    Stella By Starlight
    Autumn in New York
    Night and Day
    You Stepped Out of a Dream
    My Funny Valentine
    Isn't It Romantic
    Darn That Dream
    Come Rain or Come Shine
    It's Only a Paper Moon
    It Could Happen to You
    You Don't Know What Love Is
    But Not for Me
    The Man I Love
    Bye Bye Blackbird
    There Is No Greater Love
    The Surrey with the Fringe on Top
    When I Fall in Love
    It Never Entered My Mind
    All of You
    A Foggy Day
    If I Were a Bell
    I Could Write a Book
    You're My Everything
    On Green Dolphin Street
    Love for Sale
    Someday My Prince Will Come
    Old Folks
    I Thought About You
    Softly, As in a Morning Sunrise
    I Fall in Love Too Easily
    All of Me
    Sweet Lorraine
    I Hear a Rhapsody
    Speak Low
    They Can't Take That Away from Me
    Lover, Come Back to Me
    Invitation
    My Ideal
    Spring Is Here
    Like Someone in Love
    Angel Eyes
    Three Little Words
    The Night Has a Thousand Eyes
    Out of This World
    My Favorite Things
    Ev'rytime We Say Goodbye

Last edited by 44lombard; 04-27-2020 at 06:09 PM.