The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 13 of 13

User Info Menu

Hello,

I finally decided to tackle the Melodic Minor scale. I making my way thru, But would be nice to learn some patterns (licks and lines) to help get this under my fingers.

Im working on G Melodic Minor right now and have Harmonized the scale. Any Info would be great.

Thanks,
    Corbin
    Last edited by corbeano; 03-08-2020 at 10:04 AM.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I have basic fingerings for scales and arps. All 7 diatonic scales, triads, 7th, 9th and complete arps.
    So they're constructed using 7 position organization... let me know if you want PDFs

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

Same as major scale patterns, but simply lower the 3rd a half step.

User Info Menu

bobby stern..who posts on this forum..has a book dedicated to the MM..in all keys..lots of patterns and insight into the nature of this wonderful scale..it is a very detailed study of the scale and its related chords

jazzbooks.com: Product Details

enjoy

User Info Menu

I use the 5 Shapes. Don Mock has a book on Melodic Minor that's good and pretty straight forward.

User Info Menu

Barry Galbraith did a book with daily exercises in harmonic and melodic minor modes.

User Info Menu

Barry Galbraith - Daily Exercises in The Melodic and Harmonic Minor Modes - Jamey Aebersold #2. Voicings and scale exercises.

Useful, but all keys are written out when you really only need one. But that would be a 5 page book!

Thank you for all the info.. I meant to type lines and licks using Melodic Minor. I will check out the info above.
    It is appreciated.

Corbin

I should have stated I was looking for licks and lines, not patterns. Been doing those. Thanks

User Info Menu

Do you read music?

If you like Pentatonics... you can use Dominant Pentatonic Patterns as melodic framework for target notes.

Gmm........ G A Bb C D E F#, ... G-ma7....G Bb C D E (G)

Bb Lyd aug Bb C D E F# G A, ......Bbma7#5..Bb C D E G (Bb)

C Lyd Dom C D E F# G A Bb ,.......C7#11......C D E G Bb (C)

D Mixo b13 D E F# G A Bb C , .......D7 b13.....D E G Bb C (D)

E Aeo b5 .....E F# G A Bb C D, ....... E-7b5 9....E G Bb C D (E)

I also use same Pen on F#7alt even though the F# isn't in pattern.

So when your developing melodic lines or melodies. They usually are created from patterns, both melodic and rhythmic. The creative aspect is what your use as the Target Notes that different melodic and rhythmic pattern imply.
    Using Pentatonic patterns as your melodic shape or pattern with rhythmic pattern and shapes... you can use the the harmony to help create melodic line with those Targets.

The above Dominant Pentatonic pattern is very guitar friendly shape for creating, developing your melody. Melodies imply harmony, whether played or not. And harmony or chords have choices. Different chords change the character or feel of a melody or lick.

Anyway... melodic development has very standard references and practice. Pentatonics help expand and camouflage the obvious, and may even help you hear something new that you like etc...

I think I've posted some cool harmonic functional devices for helping to shape MM lines and development of. I'll see if I can find them.

Generally most books are just examples of the obvious and if you take the time to develop and notate out yourself... you'll get much more out of the process. You'll understand where the patterns and licks are from and how they're developed or created. Which will teach you how to create them.
    Last edited by Reg; 03-08-2020 at 11:17 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Reg
    Do you read music?

If you like Pentatonics... you can use Dominant Pentatonic Patterns as melodic framework for target notes.

Gmm........ G A Bb C D E F#, ... G-ma7....G Bb C D E (G)

Bb Lyd aug Bb C D E F# G A, ......Bbma7#5..Bb C D E G (Bb)

C Lyd Dom C D E F# G A Bb ,.......C7#11......C D E G Bb (C)

D Mixo b13 D E F# G A Bb C , .......D7 b13.....D E G Bb C (D)

E Aeo b5 .....E F# G A Bb C D, ....... E-7b5 9....E G Bb C D (E)

I also use same Pen on F#7alt even though the F# isn't in pattern.

So when your developing melodic lines or melodies. They usually are created from patterns, both melodic and rhythmic. The creative aspect is what your use as the Target Notes that different melodic and rhythmic pattern imply.
    Using Pentatonic patterns as your melodic shape or pattern with rhythmic pattern and shapes... you can use the the harmony to help create melodic line with those Targets.

The above Dominant Pentatonic pattern is very guitar friendly shape for creating, developing your melody. Melodies imply harmony, whether played or not. And harmony or chords have choices. Different chords change the character or feel of a melody or lick.

Anyway... melodic development has very standard references and practice. Pentatonics help expand and camouflage the obvious, and may even help you hear something new that you like etc...

I think I've posted some cool harmonic functional devices for helping to shape MM lines and development of. I'll see if I can find them.

Generally most books are just examples of the obvious and if you take the time to develop and notate out yourself... you'll get much more out of the process. You'll understand where the patterns and licks are from and how they're developed or created. Which will teach you how to create them.
    Wow thank you for your time.

Quote Originally Posted by wolflen
    bobby stern..who posts on this forum..has a book dedicated to the MM..in all keys..lots of patterns and insight into the nature of this wonderful scale..it is a very detailed study of the scale and its related chords

jazzbooks.com: Product Details

enjoy

This looks great. Thank you