The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Posts 26 to 32 of 32

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by vintagelove
    With all due respect to your tutor...

From the institute for education

“Perhaps what riles me most about the idea that multiple intelligences isn’t ‘’research-based’’ is that it implies research results must be limited to standardized tests and statistical analysis. In truth, multiple intelligences is the solidest research-based theory that education has ever had, if you count as research: neuroscience studies, anthropological findings, semiotic research (intelligences have different representational systems), animal studies, cognitive archeology (the presence of the eight intelligences are suggested in archeological digs), and abnormal and developmental psychology (highlighting the life trajectories of noted individuals as well as savants)”

For instance,

“More than 500 studies of brain function (largely fMRI experiments) were matched to the skills and abilities integral to each of the eight intelligences. Multiple studies of the core abilities for each intelligence were included to maximize reliability.
    To summarize, an initial review of more than 318 experiments found a pattern of neural activations well-aligned with the cognitive components for each intelligence [1]. This was followed by a study of 417 experiments examining specific skill units within each intelligence and their relationships to each other, the other intelligences, and general intelligence [9]. A third review of 420 reports found that there are observable and meaningful differences in the neural activation patterns among skill level ability groups in four levels of brain analysis: primary regions, subregions, particular structures, and multi-region activations [10]. A study of 48 resting-state experiments found seven to fifteen intrinsic, functionally connected neural networks that are closely associated with seven of the eight intelligences [11]. Lastly, the neural architectures cited for general intelligence were compared with a proposed new category of Cognitive Qualities

Taken together, these investigations indicate that the multiple intelligences have clear, logical, and coherent neural patterns that are comparable to those identified with general intelligence. These data lend support to the proposition that each of the eight intelligences have unique neural architectures”

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC648071

you seem quite invested in the multiple intelligences model in the sense that you are keen to back it up scientifically. (TBH I probably won’t wade through that literature unless I’m required to write an essay on it.)

As your IoE person says; does it really matter? I mean you might find it useful anyway. But you know, I am simultaneously capable of thinking something is scientifically hogwash - or at least not empirically verified - and also a useful tool for what we might call headology. It feels right, doesn’t it?

I’m rather partial to a lot of that shit. I’m quite Alan Moore about it tbh. Archeological ancient beliefs are not valueless.

OTOH we should choose the right time to be positivist about this stuff - we don’t base our astronomy on the teachings of Ptolemy any more.

personally I never liked this idea for music so I’m glad to be able to dispense with it at least for now. Music is auditory at its basis. Avoiding this in favour of other approaches is going to lead to problems down the line. A student that doesn’t audiate is not going to be able to play music. They’d be like a painter with no visual imagination.

While we all have to practice kinaesthetic things on the instrument, kinaesthetic memory is fragile, read/write while important for a functional professional can lead to overly notational or technical approaches and visual, while important for the guitar, has its own pitfalls.

My job is not to give alternative sensory input but to help students become better auditory learners. I need a variety of strategies to help with that, true, but that’s the bottom line, that’s the most important thing about my job.

there are other components to it as well, but that’s the main focus.
    Last edited by christianm77; 02-27-2020 at 02:59 PM.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

teachers of students with dyslexia - visualising scales-phrenology-jpg

User Info Menu

I dispute the diagram above. GAS needs to take up at least half of the diagram.

User Info Menu

I have no difficulty believing that there are multiple aspects of intelligence.

But, the link led to papers that weren't convincing. The one referring to hundreds of supportive studies cites references for those studies, but not one of them is a peer-reviewed journal article. That doesn't prove it's wrong, but when the author refers to a 35 year accumulation of information proving Gardner's theory, how about at least one peer reviewed article? I didn't spend a lot of time on it, so maybe I missed something. But, this stuff comes across as pet theory without scientific rigor, at least in the material I checked.

The risk here is that a teacher will think s/he knows how a student learns best based on "learning styles" - but, in fact, misunderstand the student. For example, if you think dyslexia means that a student can't learn to read music and you then don't try to teach it ... well, that's just plain wrong. Dyslexia doesn't predict that.

If a student has difficulty memorizing the geometric patterns of scales, that's a useful thing to know. There are other ways to learn that material. Don't diagnose. Don't put people into boxes. Just pay attention to the person in front of you and adapt. The theory, arguably, is as likely to mislead as to inform.

People have patterns of strengths and weaknesses that are all over the map.

For the teacher of the ADHD student: the treatment is, typically, medication. But, not everybody wants to take it and not all the time. There are good reasons for that. Many ADHD people can pay attention to things like video games, apparently because they're fast moving and engaging. That observation might inform an approach to a guitar lesson. Short, intense bursts, if it's possible to do that. Minimal lecture. Lots of hands on.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rpjazzguitar

But, the link led to papers that weren't convincing. The one referring to hundreds of supportive studies cites references for those studies, but not one of them is a peer-reviewed journal article. That doesn't prove it's wrong, but when the author refers to a 35 year accumulation of information proving Gardner's theory, how about at least one peer reviewed article? I didn't spend a lot of time on it, so maybe I missed something. But, this stuff comes across as pet theory without scientific rigor, at least in the material I checked.

The risk here is that a teacher will think s/he knows how a student learns best based on "learning styles" - but, in fact, misunderstand the student. For example, if you think dyslexia means that a student can't learn to read music and you then don't try to teach it ... well, that's just plain wrong. Dyslexia doesn't predict that.

If a student has difficulty memorizing the geometric patterns of scales, that's a useful thing to know. There are other ways to learn that material. Don't diagnose. Don't put people into boxes. Just pay attention to the person in front of you and adapt. The theory, arguably, is as likely to mislead as to inform.

For the teacher of the ADHD student: the treatment is, typically, medication. But, not everybody wants to take it and not all the time. There are good reasons for that. Many ADHD people can pay attention to things like video games, apparently because they're fast moving and engaging. That observation might inform an approach to a guitar lesson. Short, intense bursts, if it's possible to do that. Minimal lecture. Lots of hands on.

I just posted above a study (one of many)

THE EFFECTIVENESS OF MULTIPLE INTELLIGENCES BASED TEACHING STRATEGY IN ENHANCING THE MULTIPLE INTELLIGENCES AND SCIENCE PROCESS SKILLS OF JUNIOR HIGH SCHOOL STUDENTS

Better yet, consider why for almost 4 decades teachers have embraced the wisdom that can be found in this approach to education.

Ps, there are misconceptions in your post specifically addressed by Gardner, such as “putting people in boxes”. He was entirely against that. His work was to empower the learner to understand how they learn best, not to have teachers label and dictate.

fwiw, we studied his work (among others) in educational psychology classes. It’s not that I’m “passionate” about any one system of education, I just caution anyone in thinking its “debunked” because they’ve read so in a source or two.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rpjazzguitar

tbh it sounds like good practice for ADHD student is good general practice too

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by christianm77
    tbh it sounds like good practice for ADHD student is good general practice too
    Always a good idea to notice when the person you're talking to has left the room, mentally.