The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Posts 26 to 48 of 48

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Tone Deaf Tony
    A humorous aside here. Stan Getz worked with Astrid Gilberto and they were often at odds on and off stage. Stan would take a solo, take it into a different key, lead the band into the modulation then LEAVE IT THERE for Astrid's return. She'd come back in singing totally off key.
    Yes, he'd play behind her, aim the bell of his horn into her behind and let loose a resonant low Bb. She'd be singing into the mic and the audience would only hear her shriek.
    By the way, this not the way to support your singer!
    astrid couldn't have minded too badly...she left her husband joao after half dozen years marriage to be with getz!

cheers

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

If you go to instrumental solo part, you will hear chords more clearly. That is what you should play all the way. Forget about "proper voicings", nobody* gives a shit about those, just stay (roughly) in same register (octave) as what is heard on record , get the feel of rhythm and stabs (nobody* expect it to be the copy of record) and kerp the thing going.

*Nobody important, that is. Other musicians are not important. Should you feel like it, if they ask for something specific, you can yield to band members, for the sake of making (false) appearance of a considerate person.

User Info Menu

So is every one of these chords foreign to you?

Quote Originally Posted by mr. beaumont
    So is every one of these chords foreign to you?
    no not at all, what's foreign is that there is not a single tab to a recorded version of a song...most of what i see out there for jazz is basically sheet charts, a skeleton version, this is for musicians only, its great but im looking at this set as songs, i more less want chord charts closest to the recorded version the singer will perform.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Gavriel
    no not at all, what's foreign is that there is not a single tab to a recorded version of a song...most of what i see out there for jazz is basically sheet charts, a skeleton version, this is for musicians only, its great but im looking at this set as songs, i more less want chord charts closest to the recorded version the singer will perform.
    That just isn't how jazz works, that's why you're not finding it.

Most of those recorded versions don't have guitar anyway.

So this is a band situation, not a duo? Is there a piano player? That's a whole nuther can 'o worms to open...

Quote Originally Posted by mr. beaumont
    That just isn't how jazz works, that's why you're not finding it.

Most of those recorded versions don't have guitar anyway.

So this is a band situation, not a duo? Is there a piano player? That's a whole nuther can 'o worms to open...

its what i have been saying and iam surprised no one put out a idiot proof method for hybrid musicians like myself who wants to learn guitar versions of specific recorded JAZZ standards with vocals the same way one would learn any song, maybe someone here can cash in on this.

And i know that there are no guitar parts on most of these recordings the singer picked but i was hoping for a idiot proof step by step guitar chart slash even tab like version existed out there.

the band will alter between 4 and 5 piece,
    3 piece is me, the singer and a pianist
    5 piece will include a bass player and drummer.
    Last edited by Gavriel; 02-22-2020 at 03:12 AM.

User Info Menu

Well, you can play em like pop tunes, assuming everybody else is.

So its assumed no leads for you, just backup? And there's a piano...ok.

Here's the cliff notes version for you surviving this gig. On anything that swings, play 4 to the bar, fret the whole chord but really only play the 3rd and 4th string.

The piano player will either dig or shoot eye daggers at you. If you get eye daggers, play a chord once every few bars, smile a lot, shake everybody's hand and make sure you get paid before you leave.

User Info Menu

You can assume that the bass and piano will cover the root and the 5th, and probably the extensions. So all you need to do is play vanilla chords, and forget about the rest. If you can play major, minor, minor 7th, dominant 7th and diminished chords, that's enough. 3 or 4 note chords will get the job done. Don't worry about the rest. If you're the only instrument it's a whole 'nother ball of wax, but with a bass and piano it's a lot easier. You're part of the rhythm section, so as long as you have really good time, you'll be ok. You don't show much eagerness for this gig, what with refusing rehearsals, but that might be because of apprehension. I can understand that, but you have to s***t or get off the pot, to quote a standard phrase from down here. Rehearse or refuse the gig. And do it quickly, so they can find someone else if you don't want to do it.

User Info Menu

hearing totally different chords from the guitar chord chart i am seen
    Perhaps you can edit the chord charts in iRP to suit the charts you have?

User Info Menu

its what ive been saying and i dont know why anyone has not offered dummy proof methods for hybrid musicians like myself who is at the moment trying to learn guitar parts of specific recorded JAZZ SONGS like one would learn pop songs.,

And i know that there are no guitar parts on most of these recordings the singer picked but i was hoping for a idiot proof step by step guitar chart slash even tab like version existed out there.

the band will alter between 4 and 5 piece,
    3 piece is me, the singer and a pianist
    5 piece will include a bass player and drummer.
    The answers you refuse to accept just raise more questions. But at this point I think your course of action depends on whether this is a one off gig for you, or if you would want to learn to play jazz playing with them ongoing and they would accept that - willing to make musical accommodations for you.

If it's a one off gig for you, then you should decline immediately so they can find someone that plays jazz.

If you are interested in learning to play jazz with them ongoing, you should rehearse with them immediately so they may decide whether to take you on and what adjustments would need to be made for you.

wow thanks for all the great advise!

i will finger pick some fills and melodies along with the singer, its why she wants to meet alone at first,

As for a leader of a group there is none besides the singer, she is like the rock star here, there are only two singers in the town where i am, both are very good,

This singer is also a music teacher at a university, she told me that she can find over 10 drummers, 20 pianists and the lord only knows how many guitarists are out there roaming around and we are talking other teachers and students., i seen her perform several times and there where different musicians each time so she also does pop covers with one group, i jammed with her 5 months ago on several Sade songs and she liked the way i play., we sounded nice together, its why she proposed we try jazz standards and play shows together,

She made it clear that we will work together on the set then bring others as we go to try out different people.

so far i can pull it off like in this video
    Last edited by Gavriel; 02-22-2020 at 03:28 AM.

User Info Menu

wow thanks for all the great advise!

i will finger pick some fills and melodies along with the singer, its why she wants to meet alone at first,

As for a leader of a group there is none besides the singer, she is like the rock star here, there are only two singers in the town where i am, both are very good,

This singer is also a music teacher at a university, she told me that she can find over 10 drummers, 20 pianists and the lord only knows how many guitarists are out there roaming around and we are talking other teachers and students., i seen her perform several times and there where different musicians each time so she also does pop covers with one group, i jammed with her 5 months ago on several Sade songs and she liked the way i play., we sounded nice together, its why she proposed we try jazz standards and play shows together,

She made it clear that we will work together on the set then bring others as we go to try out different people.

So just move that to Fm? That's probably more than you're going to need/want to play.

"Fingerpick some fills" okay, based off what?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Gavriel;

if that is you in the video ...
    you’re on it man !
    sounds great
    you’ll have no problem !

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pingu
    if that is you in the video ...
    you’re on it man !
    sounds great
    you’ll have no problem !
    I don’t think that video is the OP, the YouTube channel says it is jbernstein91, there is someone who posts here with that handle.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by grahambop
    I don’t think that video is the OP, the YouTube channel says it is jbernstein91, there is someone who posts here with that handle.
    yes ...if the OP could play like that .... he wouldn’t need the TABs ...

User Info Menu

All the OP really seemed to be asking was if he could get tabs for the specific recordings his singer wanted to imitate.

The answer, I think, is that tabs for jazz are a lot less prevalent than tabs for pop music. But, I seem to recall seeing, for example, some tabs for Sinatra recordings.

And, we've all seen transcriptions of solos, chord melodies and, sometimes, (there's a current thread on here about Wes' changes for Body and Soul).

But, not like pop, where you can get a tab for almost anything.

Maybe, that's because pop usually has a definitive recording - usually the original. Jazz standards, not so much. In jazz standards the original recording's changes are often long abandoned. Everybody has their own take and only a few emerge to the point where a lot of players are interested in the details.

User Info Menu

I have nothing to add to what has already been said, except that those are all great tunes. Best of luck with the gig!

All went well, i cant thank you all enough, i have more time now to sort out a daily routine, im gonna invest a few hours a day in scales, chords then work through the songs one by one., looking into this more as well.

this site is seriously important to me now, gonna be checking more stuff out and read more through this thread, its been very hard to do all this on my ipad pro because iam using The 4g from my phone as a wifi hot spot and it cuts off, but ill be around day in day out now, thanks again!

User Info Menu

That's great .... good man !

User Info Menu

Glad things are working out for you, and welcome to the forum. Great folks here with great insights and lots of help to offer.

User Info Menu

That's one good list of tunes !!!

' Doodlin' made me search for a fav from the old days !

And if that singer is consistently getting work singing those songs good for her !!! And if she wants you around - I'd stay at it and good luck ! I am sure there are a lot worse gigs !!

And welcome !

User Info Menu

It's too late now but I think I'd have met up with the piano player to see what he was doing. Quick and simple.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ragman1
    It's too late now but I think I'd have met up with the piano player to see what he was doing. Quick and simple.
    Why would OP do that? To let piano player know how incompetent OP is, so to denounce OP to singing bush (nothing sexist, just a Three Amigos hint)?