The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Posts 51 to 62 of 62
    joelf Guest
    My favorite rendition of this song, period. Sorry, Frank---thought yours was the gold standard. Til I heard this:

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

JEANNE LEE

Jeanne Lee,voice, Mal Waldron,piano, Eric Barrett (tenor sax), Jean-Jacques Avenel (bass), John Betsh (drums), Marciac, France. 2000
    on the double bass the faithful companion of Steve Lacy, with whom I had taken some lessons in the 90s

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Fred Archtop
    Great thread!

Here you will find the great Monika Zetterlung with the (non lesser great !) Bill Evans trio (Eddie Gomez, Axel Riel).

Unless you are fluent swedish, you can skip the intro till 01'04".

And this one, with a delightful short rehearsal moment before they start at 01'28"

Wow,
    What happened to musicians in the last 60 years??? What a class act! Good playing . . . Marinero

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by wintermoon
    f you like Mel, this is a gem....

Hi, W,
    I grew up in a household that played Jazz 24/7. My dad didn't like Mel and everytime one of his tunes would play on our local Jazz station, my dad would say . . . "And, here's Mel Torment." Good playing . . . Marinero

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

ABBEY LINCOLN
    Quote Originally Posted by joelf
    You Gotta Pay the Band, featuring Stan Getz, Hank Jones, Charlie Haden, and I wish I could remember the drummer.
    I have this beautiful record too: Marc Johnson (D), Maxine Roach (v)

I advise, in addition to the famous recordings with her ex Max Roach (Freedom Now Suite...), who pulled her out of American soup, but which she later said he was a jerk in their personal dealings, the 2 CDs The Complete Abbey Lincoln 1956-1958: Play List and Musicians

Max Roach, Kenny Dorham, Sonny Rollins Wynton Kelly, Paul Chambers

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by cosmic gumbo
    Was NOT expecting that - and I like.

User Info Menu

I'm going to love listening to all of these!

User Info Menu

A decidedly cool rendition of Angel Eyes (despite the decidedly uncool ketchup and mustard graphic used for the video, ha! ), and a favorite recording of mine:

Last edited by MattR; 02-17-2020 at 10:18 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Patlotch
    Is that someone's head she has her hands on in the photo?

User Info Menu

[QUOTE = MattR; 1009536] A decidedly cool rendition of Angel Eyes (despite the decidedly uncool ketchup and mustard graphic used for the video, ha!), And a favorite recording of mine:

[video = youtube; cANkvK8Groc] https: //
    [/video][/QUOTE]

Hi, Matt,
    Anita was a true American gem and although she had much commercial success during her lifetime, she doesn't have the following(in my opinion) many of the other "greats" have achieved posthumously. She had a unique voice and style and all instrumentalists could benefit from listening to her phrasing. Good playing . . . Marinero

User Info Menu

Sinatra put an indelible stamp on this one.