The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
Posts 76 to 100 of 103

User Info Menu

The difference between 1 11/16 and 1 12/16 is very small - if the slighty smaller neck width is possible for you, it could be worth considering a used ES-175 or ES-165. Jo Pass got some great sounds out of his playing finger style..... For the amp, if you are into clean-clean Henriksen, Jazz Chorus or Polytone would be high on my list of recomendations

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I have been playing guitar for 10+ years. I have played classical for several years early on and lately flat top acoustic mostly fingerstyle blues.

I am starting to play jazz, have been doing some work at a beginner level on my acoustics. I decided to buy an electric to properly pursue it and wanted to get some advice.

I went to a local Guitar Center over the weekend to get a feel for different brands. They only had Ibanez and Epiphone and out of those, an Ibanez AF75G (flat black) and an Epiphone 339. I prefer the hollow body, it's lighter and I am more into the sound. The Ibanez was pretty nice and I thought about buying it but I really prefer an ebony fretboard and am willing to spend more than $450 which is what the AF75 cost. So I am looking at the AF95 - actually ordered one but it is still processing so I can probably change it.

I am wondering if I should stay with the AF95 which they have in stock but will take some time to get (due to the pandemic). Or we have an AFC locally which looks nice too. It is $999 so more expensive, but I could swing it. From my understanding Ibanez doesn't make that one anymore. I could probably try to play it this weekend.
    Or a little more is the LGB30 which is $1,099 (not local to me so similar situation to the AF95).

I am interested in opinions on sticking with the AF95 or the other options. I am also tempted to just get the AF75 to have something sooner but prefer a nicer fretboard and want to get something I will be happy with for a while.

Any advice would be appreciated.

User Info Menu

My advice is to try other brand/models if you can.
    Ibanez are great, but it's not my style of guitar. Maybe you could prefer other model too.
    I can reccomend to you Eastman, amazing bang for the buck. Also consider buying 2nd hand guitar, you can have top quality model with your 1k$ budget

User Info Menu

Stick with the AF95. They are great guitars to get into jazz with. They are also a great platform for upgrading pickups, pots, wiring, etc. when you're ready. The neck profile is nice and the fretwork is great. They are a bargain.

Another option is an Epiphone Broadway. Similar cost to AF95 but longer scale and mellower sounding. The Ibanez AFC is also wonderful, but it has floating pickups. My opinion is that inset pickups are a better beginning point for getting into electric. Having owned dozens of jazz guitars over many years, I would go with Ibanez AF95 or spend a bit more and get the LGB30. Another great option is the Epiphone Broadway. You can't go wrong with any of these.

And welcome to the best forum there is!

Roli

User Info Menu

Welcome to the forum, I think the Ibanez will do you well. My first was an AF75
    I stay at my parents' place on the west coast during christmas and easter holidays, plus parts of summer, where I get to spend quality time with the old AF75, permanently residing in the guest room there. Still a great jazz guitar. I would not hesitate to gig it.

good luck hope you find the right one

User Info Menu

Thanks for all of the advice, I really appreciate it. I feel pretty good about the Ibanez, I liked the way it felt. I know that my tastes will get refined with time but you have to start somewhere.

User Info Menu

I started with an AF75, also. Replaced it with an AG95 about a year later. After I traded the 95, I waited a bit and then got an AF95FM which I wish I still had. All three were very good value and performed quite well, especially the AF95. That one really spoke to me and had excellent build quality/playability. It left my stable to make room for a Godin 5th ave Kingpin which I find to be the best bargain of all the lower-priced jazz boxes I’VE tried. The Kingpin stayed around after I sold my AF75, AG95FM, Godin Jazz and Eastman AR803ce. I also really liked the Epi ES-175 that I modified but I eventually sold it to rethink what I what wanted, which was to save up for something special. In the meantime, I’d recommend that you not overlook maybe a less obvious option: Telecaster. It’s not an archtop but it’s got its own jazz magic with the right set-up/amp. I’ve been THOROUGHLY enjoying mine for the last few months. Best of luck on your hunt!

User Info Menu

I have thought about a tele. I have been reading about it around here and I like that it's a simpler guitar (vs hollow body) and that it is pretty robust, not as delicate. I might check one out this weekend. A playable neck is important to me and I think I would have to try it out to make sure. Lots of good advice around here on how to get a good sound from it. Something to consider...

User Info Menu

a thinline tele might be a good option/compromise

First Jazz Guitar-750-tele60tjr3csb_front-jpg

cheers

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by saracb
    I have thought about a tele. I have been reading about it around here and I like that it's a simpler guitar (vs hollow body) and that it is pretty robust, not as delicate. I might check one out this weekend. A playable neck is important to me and I think I would have to try it out to make sure. Lots of good advice around here on how to get a good sound from it. Something to consider...
    "Robust" is an understatement. There's an old saw that goes "The Telecaster is the only guitar that can deflect a flying glass ashtray, knock the drunk that threw it senseless to the floor, and not go out of tune". The Les Paul has a similar reputation; at least the older, non-weight-relieved models, especially those to which a Bigsby was attatched. My '69 LP Custom weighed more than a Mini Cooper (not the new relative behemoths; the older, teensy-weensy ones you could almost carry under your arm, if it were longer.

User Info Menu

Everyone needs a telecaster sooner or later.

User Info Menu

Another Ibanez owner here. Mine's an AK85. It has had a set of Rotosound Monel(?) strings on it for a long time, but I still like how it sounds. And it's comfortable to play. But I also have a Telecaster. I'm not sure which version it is. At first I thought it was the 'American Special' but after buying it the guy who I took it to for a setup said it's similar but not quite the same. All I know is that it's my favourite, to the point it's always on a stand and quite often I'll pick it up when I walk by. It just feels right.
    Anyhow, I hope you enjoy whatever guitar you end up with, OP. Take your time and you'll find it.

User Info Menu

I love my Teles as much as the next person, but the AF95 sure seems like a lot of jazz guitar for under $650.
    First Jazz Guitar-951b981c-a636-4f4c-ae25-d852b253d00a-jpgFirst Jazz Guitar-25813f48-8f17-449e-9c3a-fd72caee8002-jpg

Can't go wrong with a AF95 really good guitar I still use mine for exercise when I'm drinking just doing finger movements ect

User Info Menu

Thanks for all of the advice. I ended up buying the Ibanez AF75G which was in stock at a store near me. I had played it and knew that I liked it and there was a draw to being able to just go and buy it. I really like it, the neck feels good and I like the sound. I think I will take it for a proper setup and am thinking about flatwound strings although right now I am happy.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by saracb
    Thanks for all of the advice. I ended up buying the Ibanez AF75G which was in stock at a store near me. I had played it and knew that I liked it and there was a draw to being able to just go and buy it. I really like it, the neck feels good and I like the sound. I think I will take it for a proper setup and am thinking about flatwound strings although right now I am happy.
    Congratulations! Put some D’Addario Chromes Flatwound 12s on that guitar and enjoy it. It’ll play and sound great. Happy for you!

User Info Menu

I think that was a wise choice. It's always better to buy a guitar that you've actually played and know you like. That's more important (in my opinion) than getting an ebony vs. rosewood fingerboard.

User Info Menu

Hi everyone

I am new here but have been reading posts this past month .

I started learning guitar three years ago and started with an Alhambra P8
    Later I added a Gibson J35. I love them both.

However I now have a new teacher who studied jazz very happy with this and a new challenge.

My Alhambra has a good sound but impossible to reach 16th fret ..even on my Gibson. So I am in the market for a new guitar.

I live in the middle of no where and all the guitars I am thinking about involve travel.

I have tried Ephiphone Broadway very briefly which I liked , though maybe too big, I am only 160 (though I have big hands)?

I also tried the Ephiphone Sheraton which I didn't like.

The contenders are:

Guitars are expensive here in Israel. The 2nd hand ones I want to be sure before travelling.

My most important feature is acoustic sound (I prefer to play unplugged, at least at home).

Of course playability as a newbie.

I really would prefer a nylon string and someone on this forum recommended a flamenco guitar for jazz.

So I will add Cordoba Negra FCE Limited edition ziricote.

Any advice much appreciated.

Mai

User Info Menu

Hi Mai -

If acoustic sound is your primary concern, have you considered an acoustic guitar with a cutaway for upper fret access? Both steel string and nylon string guitars come in this configuration. Of course, I have no idea how common they may be where you are.

Cheers!

Jay

User Info Menu

You might want to check out the Cordoba Fusion series of guitars, nylonstring models with solid tops, a little smaller neck, cutaway and equipped with a decent Fishman pickup/mic pre-amp system. Really a lot of guitar for relatively little money - I‘ve owned mine since 2010 now and have not found a better one yet for under $ 1000 ! Great for home and stage.

User Info Menu

Harley Benton do a super cheap nylon string gypsy guitar. Not played it, but it's cheap enough to take a punt on. Maybe not if you have to pay postage Germany to Israel though...

Thomann Gypsy Nylon CE – Thomann UK

User Info Menu

Hi Jay,

I have considered that .
    Not acoustic as the sound isn't warm enough.

A lot of the greats managed to play wonderful jazz on acoustic.

If my Alhambra had a cutaway I would be okay for now .

I saw on a forum someone recommend a flamenco guitar as they have a faster neck , negra with cutaway.

When I say acoustic sound I just mean enough so that I can practice in different places without lugging am amp around .

Though I hope to buy a small amp either Roland cube or Mark jazz, but that is a question for another day.

The problem here is that different guitar shops sell different makes of guitar .

So my nearby big town a hours drive away has one that stocks Ephiphone and Gibson ( I wish ).but they only had two hollowbody in that branch.

For Guild I need to to Jaffa T.A ( might walk out with the wrong guitar !!)
    Cordoba flamenco.

I saw a clip of Ibanez PM unplugged which sounded good.

I thought of buying a 2nd hand Peerless Cremona ..
    However between it being 17" 25.5 scale , $2000( 11 years old in perfect condition ) .
    A 3.5 hours drive away and at least here difficult to re sell I declined.

Thank you for your reply

Mai

User Info Menu

Thank you Matt

Sadly it's not worth postage maybe but the tax on goods imported is too high.

Mai

User Info Menu

If you want to play without an amp, you should buy an acoustic guitar.
    If you want to practice without an amp, you don't need a hollowbody. It sounds like crap anyway so hollowbody or solidbody makes no difference. In case of a hollowbody the crappy sound is perhaps a little bit louder.

User Info Menu

If you only want to play solo fingerstyle unplugged at home, a nylon string guitar can be really nice. That’s been my go-to for home playing lately. I have a Yamaha crossover model (NT series) which has a neck similar to the steel string guitars that my hands are adapted to—just a bit wider. And the pickup system in it is really nice.