User Info Menu

I am in my 50s and I have been playing guitar for several years now mostly blues and country western. I’ve always like listening to Wes Montgomery and George Benson but I always figured that their music was way too hard to learn. I am trying to learn “autumn leaves “ from this YouTube video.

i’ve also been noodling around with the first couple bars of “bumping on sunset” but I figure I better walk before I learn how to run. I’m also doing a lot of reading online about music theory. I’ve been getting on a lot of these forums but when people are talking about 1,3,5 progressions, intervals, or modes, I am lost.
    is this a good starting place? I have ireal pro on my tablet but I haven’t used it much ( not sure where to start) any info or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Hi Antvas

Similar age, similar background, similar position here :-) This is a very good place to start and Autumn Leaves is a good starting tune, too. It's one of ten songs I've set out to learn as I get going myself. To start with I'm just learning the melody / chords / words (not that I'll be singing - but I like to know the words) to these songs without worrying too much about theory or improvising or any of that - my thinking being it all starts with the songs, so get a few of those under ones belt and the rest will follow.

That said, you'll find the answers to your modes / progressions / intervals questions here, for sure. There are better qualified people than me who will answer these, but keep asking away and we'll all try and help.

Derek

User Info Menu

On this very site, you will find three lessons using Autumn Leaves: the melody for beginners, a more advanced melody and solo study, and the chords. They are all very good.

User Info Menu

There’s a lot of useful stuff in the lessons section:

Free Jazz Guitar Lessons

User Info Menu

You have to have faith in the old idea that all the things you need to learn are in the songs you want to play.

Don't worry too much about the theory lingo; as you learn things their names, relationships, and such will naturally back fill onto those things you have figured out and learned directly; much easier than leading with the theory concepts and trying to figure out what they mean and how to use them.

- figure out specific songs (lots of lists of songs around, let the song teach you)
    - learn to hear and recognize the general commonalities and relationships among the parts of different songs (similar forms, progressions, changes)
    - play with others ASAP (increased exposure to theory lingo from which you can recognize and naturally attach to the things you have already discovered and learned)

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by antvas1963
    I am in my 50s and I have been playing guitar for several years now mostly blues and country western. I’ve always like listening to Wes Montgomery and George Benson but I always figured that their music was way too hard to learn. I am trying to learn “autumn leaves “ from this YouTube video.

i’ve also been noodling around with the first couple bars of “bumping on sunset” but I figure I better walk before I learn how to run. I’m also doing a lot of reading online about music theory. I’ve been getting on a lot of these forums but when people are talking about 1,3,5 progressions, intervals, or modes, I am lost.
    is this a good starting place? I have ireal pro on my tablet but I haven’t used it much ( not sure where to start) any info or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
    This forum has a wealth of learning materials for you to explore - enjoy!

User Info Menu

Thanks for the info and tips