Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 16 of 16

User Info Menu

Warren Nunes had some nice studies in this book. This one is a basic Jazz/Blues in Bb. Nice chord outlines, triads, voice leading etc.

Warren Nunes - Basic Blues (etude)-warren-nunes-jpg

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Nice job! That's a solid, fun sounding "etude."

User Info Menu

Thanks Lawson! There's an even cooler one called Modern Blues. Maybe I'll do that one in a few weeks or so too...

User Info Menu

I wonder where that book came from? I wonder if they took one of his old books and reissued it?

User Info Menu

Lol, would you believe that I bought it over 40 years ago and just started poking around in it? Pathetic, I know. I have a few of his chord books too, although I may have thrown one away. I wish I had purchased his other solo oriented books, I like his stuff.

My jazz book library isn't as big as Ted Greene's was, and it's not scattered all over the floor, but it's pretty bad. As Cosmic Gumbo said "more boooooooooooooooooooooooooks!" That's me.
    Last edited by Jazzstdnt; 01-12-2020 at 09:18 PM.

User Info Menu

I'd be interested in getting a copy of that book. Impossible to find however...

User Info Menu

Sounded great! I used to have that book but that was years ago!

User Info Menu

I"ve been hunting around also and can't find the book for sale anywhere. So we're depending on you to post your playing of this stuff!

User Info Menu

I wonder if its legal for me to post the book on Scribd or something? Happy to share...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jazzstdnt
    I wonder if its legal for me to post the book on Scribd or something? Happy to share...
    That's hard to say. Copyright laws seem so inconsistently interpreted, but the general rule of something being (I think) 75 yrs old is public domain unless the copyright was renewed remains. That doesn't apply to Nunes' books, though. "Fair Use" is another concept that I used to think covered things like discovering an article or chapter for my classes after we're under way and making copies for the class one time. Scanning and posting a book on Scribd I suspect violates the copyright, but I'm no lawyer and likely have a lot of contraband stuff on my computer from Scribd, archive.org, and LibGen.

User Info Menu

Yeah, agreed. I would have to be 100% certain it was legal.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by lawson-stone
    I"ve been hunting around also and can't find the book for sale anywhere. So we're depending on you to post your playing of this stuff!
    Longtime Forum member Dutchbopper has made several videos of material from that Nunes book.
    I'd like to have the book myself.

Dutchbopper's Jazz Guitar Blog: Nostalgia: Warren Nunes - The Blues

There's a YouTube video showing pages of the book while the "flexdisc" plays (-Warren narrating and playing).

User Info Menu

Thanks Mark.

Not the same book, but that's OK. I think the "The Blues" book is a more in depth and helpful edition anyway. More narrowly focused on the blues, includes play-a-longs and recorded instruction from Nunes, etc. Unfortunately, they're BOTH out of print.

Fortunately, Joe Pass' excellent books ARE still in print and cover this same kind of material, if a bit more challenging. But that's OK, gives one something to aim for.

Cheers.

User Info Menu

Here are the ones in my library:

Warren Nunes - Basic Blues (etude)-img_20200120_1618230802-jpg

User Info Menu

i spent months trying to locate a copy of Burt Bacharachs South American Getaway from Butch Cassidy movie...piano piece..apparently as soon as it was published it was removed and became like gold dust..word got around the grapevine i had it..i was inundated with requests from colleges,music drama groups ,private individuals who just wanted to play it..i felt there need..great piece of music...i scanned the 4 pages and sent it to anyone...im BAD

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by bleakanddivine
    Here are the ones in my library:

Warren Nunes - Basic Blues (etude)-img_20200120_1618230802-jpg
    Would love to have those. Challenging but not too tough.

EDIT: Solo Improvisation Techniques and The Blues are both available on Scribd, right now.
    Last edited by Jazzstdnt; 01-20-2020 at 02:20 PM.