The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456
Posts 126 to 150 of 150

User Info Menu

There's also the Barry Harris major sixth diminished although I have no desire to go down that rabbit hole today..... It's already bad enough!

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Well, I put down Dm7 - G13b9 - CM7 and tried all the notes over it before I posted. It's true, you don't really hear it :-)

User Info Menu

I spent days figuring out this solo when I got into jazz. His playing and phrasing on this F blues is truely mind-blowing. This is by far one of the best jazz blues solos that I know and really a must if you want to stufy Jazz Guitar in a bebop or hardbop style.

You should also check out how great Herbie Hancock, Billy Cobham and Ron Carter play on this. Especially Hancocks solo is amazing and the trading with piano and guitar is also great and really illustrates how George Benson can also go outside and play more modern jazz licks.

Some of the things that I will cover in this video is

• How he mixes blues and bop phrases into one great language
    • His favourite Arpeggio
    • What makes his licks so great
    • How he is mostly using very very simple things in the solo (he is just very good at it)

And then I am also going to show you one way of thinking about chords, scales and arpeggios that he uses here that is not that common but he makes it into some really great lines, it's something he uses a lot in this solo.

Hope you like it!

Jens

User Info Menu

Hi Jens, I play this line in a different position. I play it a few times here at 3.37. I don't know where GB played it!

User Info Menu

Dexter Gordon was happy to record with George Benson. Guitar solo starts at 4:30.

User Info Menu

I'm not a huge George Benson fan, so I wasn't familiar with this solo before, but it's cool and the lesson is great. Thanks!

As far as the best blues solo, I think I'd give the nod to that Wes 'No Blues' solo mentioned in the lesson. My teacher has had me work on sections of that before. My biggest problem is actually getting that stuff into my own playing. I guess it will come out eventually.

User Info Menu

That recording was made when Benson was only 25. Pretty astounding. I am in the group that considers him one of the best ever.

And, his chops have only gotten better with time, at least until the last decade or so. He's one of the few players of his generation still performing at a high level.

I agree one can potentially hyperanalyze some of his songs and find fault or think someone does it better. But look at Benson's entire body of work, which is prodigious. No one, in my opinion, combines chops and feeling so well.

And not to jump on others points of view, cause I idolize all the players mentioned above, but Wes could be pedestrian (though commercially successful!) in his recordings and Martino can be pedantic, though they could also be sublime. Different strokes, of course.

User Info Menu

BTW, back OT, I was wondering Jens where you think his musical ideas came from--wasn't he largely self-taught? And of course has the best ear in the business (again IMO).

My thought is it came from the blues and the examples of his predecessors and contemporaries, with a lot of woodshedding, but not from any particular didactic approach.

Interesting to hear what you think.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Jeff
    BTW, back OT, I was wondering Jens where you think his musical ideas came from--wasn't he largely self-taught? And of course has the best ear in the business (again IMO).

My thought is it came from the blues and the examples of his predecessors and contemporaries, with a lot of woodshedding, but not from any particular didactic approach.

Interesting to hear what you think.
    He clearly heard a lot of bebop, probably Parker. There are a lot of direct bebop stuff in his playing, but he also mixes in a lot of blues. Again Parker does this as well and so does a lot of other guitarists like Charlie Christian, Grant Green and Wes Montgommery.

I think he learned from those guys by ear.

Jens

User Info Menu

Trying out some things picked up from Randy Vincent, such as comping chords and arpeggios going 3, 5, 7, 9, R, 3, 5, 7 for the solo up until the Cm chord, where a lick from Mimi Fox kicks in. These guys are helping me extend by blues playing. I don't play exactly what they outline, but have started messing with it already in just a few days.

User Info Menu

Nice, Rob.
    I know that Mimi Fox lick! It's a good 'un.

When you say 'things picked up from Randy Vincent,' are you talking about The Guitarist's Introduction to Jazz or to other books of his?

User Info Menu

Yes, Mark, that's the only book of his I have at the moment. Check out page 64 where he talks about the "perpetual arpeggio". I took that idea and put it through the blues changes up to the Cm chord. I'm exploring using it in different contexts too. Great fun.

User Info Menu

The thing about the 35791357 arpeggio is that the 7 falls to the 3 of the next chord. And you can jump up and down octaves, of course, so it doesn't sound like an exercise. Add some rhythm and approach notes, and it can get interesting.

User Info Menu

guitar and playing sounds great as always !!!- I ( ok! my weaver/knitter/tatter/embroiderer wife) want to know about the scarf??

Will

User Info Menu

Paul - well, I already stole them from Randy Vincent, and he probably heard them somewhere else, and on it goes. We are all magpies...

Will - I suggested to my daughter that she open a store called The Scarf Joint, but she failed to see the guitar neck pun there, and who could blame her? She's currently doing a Masters Degree in Textiles at the Royal College of Art in London, selling scarves to help buy food. She made my scarf for my birthday, and it's made from beautiful Italian cashmere It's cold here, so I'm wearing it indoors!

User Info Menu

We can't argue that tone, very nice sound!

User Info Menu

That perpetual arpeggio idea sounds great. Are those nice comping moves in Randy's "Intro" book too?

User Info Menu

Yes, they are. It's a good book.

User Info Menu

I picked up Randy's Intro book...very good...also working with Garrison Fewell's book.

As we all know so many different ways to look at the same thing on the guitar. I stumbled on this this morning since I am working on both books

Perpetual arpeggio 3 - 5 - 7 -9 is the same thing that Garrison suggests for a dominant chord.....Garrison says play a Min7b5 arpeggio from the third degree of the dominant chord. Same notes.......I think...my head hurts

User Info Menu

Warren Nunes had some nice studies in this book. This one is a basic Jazz/Blues in Bb. Nice chord outlines, triads, voice leading etc.

Improvising over a Jazz Blues-warren-nunes-jpg

User Info Menu

Nice job! That's a solid, fun sounding "etude."

User Info Menu

Thanks Lawson! There's an even cooler one called Modern Blues. Maybe I'll do that one in a few weeks or so too...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by lawson-stone
    I"ve been hunting around also and can't find the book for sale anywhere. So we're depending on you to post your playing of this stuff!
    Longtime Forum member Dutchbopper has made several videos of material from that Nunes book.
    I'd like to have the book myself.

Dutchbopper's Jazz Guitar Blog: Nostalgia: Warren Nunes - The Blues

There's a YouTube video showing pages of the book while the "flexdisc" plays (-Warren narrating and playing).

User Info Menu

Thanks Mark.

Not the same book, but that's OK. I think the "The Blues" book is a more in depth and helpful edition anyway. More narrowly focused on the blues, includes play-a-longs and recorded instruction from Nunes, etc. Unfortunately, they're BOTH out of print.

Fortunately, Joe Pass' excellent books ARE still in print and cover this same kind of material, if a bit more challenging. But that's OK, gives one something to aim for.

Cheers.

User Info Menu

Here are the ones in my library:

Improvising over a Jazz Blues-img_20200120_1618230802-jpg