The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Posts 26 to 43 of 43

User Info Menu

'All of me'
    Just what I did several years ago.
    I had to start with arpeggios playing bass to treble, but soon fitted little phrases in. I love these changes and practised it just the other day. Great standard for the jazz jam.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

What happened to the original poster, the lukather dude, did he even respond to this thread?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by lukatherknopfler
    Hi, Im manily a rock player and I want to get started on jazz. How can i get started on playing over jazz changes?.
    The process of playing over the changes doesn't happen within a week or two! It could take a couple months to years before your ears get used jazz chords and the notes that sound jazzy! First, you think of a jazz standard that you like, "Autumn Leaves", is a good one to start with! Find a backing track, there on plenty on Youtube to choose from. Learn the melody line inside out and start adding licks as you go. Your ears will quickly tell you when you hit a sour note, keep doing that for awhile and you will soon be on the road to having fun and learning how everything fits together. I gotta be honest with you, it took me a couple of years before I mildly liked what I was playing. To me, I sounded terrible! Now, not so bad at all! If you're looking for a book, Steve Crowell's Formulas Book helped me out a lot!!

Jazz Science Guitar Institute

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by greveost
    What happened to the original poster?
    He hasn't visited the forum since he posted the question last year. That won't stop people from sharing what they think will help.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by cosmic gumbo
    He hasn't visited the forum since he posted the question last year. That won't stop people from sharing what they think will help.
    lol

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by cosmic gumbo
    yeah, so it seems, hehe

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by greveost
    What happened to the original poster, the lukather dude, did he even respond to this thread?
    He made two posts in Dec 2013 and one post Dec 2019.

I can surmise he is marooned on an asteroid that passes by Earth every six years.

I expect his next post in Dec 2025.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Drumbler

I can surmise he is marooned on an asteroid that passes by Earth every six years.

Sounds reasonable, I am getting all excited about what his next post will be about, lol

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Drumbler

now that is what I call proper social distancing.

User Info Menu

You did hear that one about all the young people who thought social distancing meant they couldn't text their friends or do social media...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by lukatherknopfler
    Hi, Im manily a rock player and I want to get started on jazz. How can i get started on playing over jazz changes?.
    Hi, I hope you will be able to read this in 2025.
    That's a good question, I can answer because I know where the problem is.
    The biggest problem is the relation you have with your first friends when you start to learn the guitar, they are friends but become enemies when you want to play jazz.

Those friends are called shapes, you can play a lot of things without knowing what you play, they work like tabs.
    I had had this problem for years, for decades until I forgot those shapes.
    You have to learn your neck, where the notes are.
    When you play a solo, a melody, chords... don't think with shapes, there were just there to teach you the academic fingering, nothing else.
    When you play a note, name it, don' t play the guitar like if you were playing battleship or minesweeper game, you know where you are.

Secondly, don't travel a lot on the neck, I know it belongs to the show when you play rock but for jazz it's not very useful, jazz is like McDonald's, I mean "come as you are", you're bald, you're fat, you're ugly, you're beautiful... sorry I'm lost... people come to listen to you not to see if your guitar has the right colour or if you hair is long enough to play.

Thirdly (is it correct ?) but it belongs to secondly, when you want to play something, try to limit the room, I mean between fifth and eighth frets. Try to play all the chords in that room and the melody too and think about the notes you are playing, then choose another room and when you are ready, connect the rooms each other without thinking about shapes but notes, it's very important.

Fourthly ? Yes ! I wrote it right ! Try to play only on one or two strings (but not only on A B E strings) the melody you played in one of the room and name the notes, it will help you to travel on the neck.

Fifthly... that should be firstly... when you play the chords in a small room, look at your fingers (the fretting hand) and see how they move as if you were a pianist, and name the notes.

I hope you're fine.

User Info Menu

There is an element of the original question that is a bit confusing...namely, it doesn't say whether the aim is to play jazz sounding lines, or just any adequate sounding line over jazz changes. I'm not trying to split hairs here, but this distinction could lead to quite a bit of difference in answers/advice.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by GastonD
    There is an element of the original question that is a bit confusing...namely, it doesn't say whether the aim is to play jazz sounding lines, or just any adequate sounding line over jazz changes. I'm not trying to split hairs here, but this distinction could lead to quite a bit of difference in answers/advice.

The first is the only one worth thinking about.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Lionelsax

Secondly, don't travel a lot on the neck,

Thirdly (is it correct ?) but it belongs to secondly, when you want to play something, try to limit the room, I mean between fifth and eighth frets. Try to play all the chords in that room and the melody too and think about the notes you are playing, then choose another room and when you are ready, connect the rooms each other without thinking about shapes but notes, it's very important.

Yep, getting a handle on one "area" (not position) of the fret board is a common approach for guitar improv study these days, and it really helps.

Only thing is, don't stay in one area too long - learn them all!

Playing through a nice Wes Montgomery solo transcription will dispel any notions about staying in one place for very long. Of course he didn't use his pinky very much for single note lines. Wes and Django both slid up and down the fretboard like crazy, and for common reasons - (1) using fewer than four left hand fingers, and (2) playing exuberant sounding lines that traversed range, rapidly and frequently.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by GTRMan
    Yep, getting a handle on one "area" (not position) of the fret board is a common approach for guitar improv study these days, and it really helps.

Only thing is, don't stay in one area too long - learn them all!

Playing through a nice Wes Montgomery solo transcription will dispel any notions about staying in one place for very long. Of course he didn't use his pinky very much for single note lines. Wes and Django both slid up and down the fretboard like crazy, and for common reasons - (1) using fewer than four left hand fingers, and (2) playing exuberant sounding lines that traversed range, rapidly and frequently.
    You didn't read fourthly...

User Info Menu

Yes I did but I probably don't see as much value in that as you do.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by GTRMan
    Yes I did but I probably don't see as much value in that as you do.
    Playing something across the strings and playing the same thing on only one or two strings all over the neck.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Lionelsax
    Playing something across the strings and playing the same thing on only one or two strings all over the neck.
    yes it’s an important skill, a more valuable skill using two strings as opposed to one though.