The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 98

User Info Menu

I read some topics about where to start learning jazz guitar.

I have been playing guitar since 12 years.
    I know my chords etc.

I play mostly acoustic and some electric as well.

I totally like jazz chords, but I want to improve on chord progressions and soloing.

Where do I start?

I made the big mistake in the past to do whatever I like, but I didn't become a better player of it...

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

The best way to learn jazz guitar is to take lessons from an actual guitar teacher!

What type of lessons?
    Chords, progressions?

I want to make a sort of roadmap on what to practice etc.

User Info Menu

check out the lessons on the Jazz Guitar Online site, parent site of this forum.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Piler
    That's a short answer.
    What type of lessons?
    Chords, progressions?
    Hi Joel
    I am no expert, but what helped me most was learning the fretboard thoroughly, so I know where to find those notes, scales, arpeggios and chords, but since you have played a while you might know this already.

I would have started with something like this:

Find one Jazz tune you like and try to learn it well. Listen to different versions of that tune.

Learn to play the chords of the tune first, then maybe chord melody and finally some improvisation/solo.

To better be able to improvise find a lesson on how to "analyze" a tune (to find out which chord progressions and keys you need to improvise over). I think there is a lesson about this on Jazzguitar.be.

Try to play the chords, arpeggios and scales which "matches" the chord progression of the tune you like.

And if you have the time, you should also practice this:

Arpeggios:
    Learn the major, dominant and minor arpeggios in the key of C at first, in all positions over the neck. Learn the intervals and the notes of the arpeggios (Root-3-5-7 etc). When you know C, continue to play in all 12 keys. Same pattern repeats.

Chords:
    Learn the maj7, dom7 and min7 chords in the key of C at first, in all or at least some positions over the neck. Learn the intervals and the notes of the chords (Root-3-5-7 etc). When you know C, continue to play in all 12 keys. Same pattern repeats.

Scales:
    Learn the C major scale all over the neck, then in all 12 keys. And of course the "dominant" and "minor" scales.

Practice chords, arpeggios and scales over a 251 progression in the key of C - Dm7-G7-Cmaj7, then all the the other keys.

I dont know if this would be called a road map, but its my 2 cents

User Info Menu

Harmonize the major scale i.e. Cmaj7 Dmin7 Emin7 Fmaj7 G7 Amin7 Bmin7b5.

User Info Menu

Yup, I'd chime in with chord scales using drop 2 chords etc.

First play the chord scale then go through the chord scale using arpeggios.

Also sing these arpeggios as you play them.

Make sure to apply your new chords to jazz tunes.

Easy tunes to start with are Autumn Leaves, Tune Up and Blue Bossa.

User Info Menu

Lessons from a Jazz guitar teacher, learn Jazz harmony.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Piler
    That's a short answer.
    What type of lessons?
    Chords, progressions?
    Get a TEACHER to help you construct a roadmap. There is NO better way.

User Info Menu

Hi,

I've been playing guitar for years like you but I only started learning jazz 2 and a half years ago. I just played my first gig in a trio last week so that really felt like a milestone. I would echo what others have said about taking lessons - that is the best idea if you want to progress quicker although be prepared for some hard work which is frustrating at times. The rules or guidelines to playing jazz are actually fairly simple but is quite difficult to execute, at least at first. You also need to know some basic theory. Pick a tune you like and learn the melody and chords in a few places on the fretboard. Autumn leaves is a good choice as it is fairly simple and contains major and minor ii v i progressions. I would suggest frets 1 to 5, frets 5 to 9 and frets 9 to 13 as areas. Then practise playing chord tones (arpeggios) on strong beats (1 and 3 for a 4/4 tune) in each area. After a while you can try connecting the chord tones with scale or chromatic tones. Then try introducing rhythmic variety and outside harmony. Good luck! Rick

Thanks guys!!!!! A teacher it is!

User Info Menu

Even though online lessons are very worthwhile, I would suggest to try to find a teacher in your area to have lessons in person.
    More important than anything is to listen to lots and lots of jazz. Then when you find a recording you like, just learn it and play along with the original.

User Info Menu

Hi Joe
    With you on this one. Been playing a while - could pick up a songbook & accompany myself nicely - could I pick up a jazz music sheet and improvise - no way.
    But the latter isn't a million miles away from the former, and what is working for me is:

You DO need to know your scales
    You DO need to know your arpeggios
    BUT you can start slow and easy
    Take a simple major key tune (I used 'All of Me') & play the tune till you know it.
    Play the chords as arpeggios again till you know them without the book.
    (Choose chords that are close on the fingerboard so you're not hopping around.)

When you're comfortable playing the tune through, mix in one or two arpeggio notes - if possible with a friend or looper supplying the 'chord' chords behind you - the tune is there but you are moving above and below the notes of the tune, and your additions all sound in-tune!

The trick of course is to make this better, so you fit scale notes in that aren't in the arpeggio, but only ones that sound good - but that's later.
    This is where I'm at now - every now and again I try to learn a new scale when I come across an awkward chord e.g. diminished 7 recently, but by and large I can look at a simple tune and make a good attempt - VERY VERY SLOWLY.

Please be in touch - I'd like to hear how you're getting on.

By the way - Sheryl Bailey is a seriously good player, but probably not the sort of teacher you're looking for at the moment (apart from the cost).

Very best wishes
    John

User Info Menu

I spent a lot of time on theory, scales, chords, and arpeggios but felt discouraged until I figured out how to really learn some tunes. So I've been learning tunes using the following resources:

Comping and Chord Melody: Rich Severson - 99centguitarlessons.com - (he also has improv and transcribed solo material)
    Lead: Robert Conti's "Ticket to Improv" dvds and "The Jazz Lines" book/dvds

Being able to play a chord melody, then comp, then play a hip solo over a tune is quite satisfying. And you'll learn new chords in the process as they appear in the comping and chord melody studies. So I'm learning the tunes that both of them cover in their material. I also spent some time with Jimmy Bruno and he is great too, but I'm having more fun with Robert Conti right now.

Jimmy will have you improvising more freely from the beginning, but it's hard to make it sound like jazz as a beginner. Robert will have you sounding like jazz from the get go, but you have to learn many of his transcribed solos first and then get through "The Jazz Lines" before you can really improvise well. Opposite approaches I guess. But I'm okay with that as I'm having a blast hearing the sounds coming out of my guitar. You couldn't go wrong with Jimmy or Robert in my opinion.

User Info Menu

Learn tunes. Pick a tune you like and start by learning to play the chords. Learn the melody and accompany yourself with the chords using a recording device. Learn the major scales and melodic minor scales. Know the 3rd, 5th and 7th of the chords. Play around with scales and arpeggios until you get bored. Then learn some licks of players you like. Apply those licks to tunes. Eventually, start transcribing solos and you'll learn how players use all that stuff when improvising. There's a ton of other stuff you will pick up on the way.

User Info Menu

Joe:

Lessons it is. In person. But IMO, the agenda and goals are all important.

I've been wanting to learn jazz for decades. Didn't have the confidence to approach it. Finally realized where I needed to start was not with anything theoretical, but with the changes implicit in the blues forms I like to play. I could hear this stuff, could only get so far by ear.

So I found a very soulful and bluesy player (Bob Devos) and asked him to show me the changes. Chords mostly. And also songs. He agreed, suggested that I relearn reading also (had studied classical for a few years long ago, as a more or less separate activity. And, on a parallel track, I should start playing scales, intervals up and down the fretboard.

I feel lucky that I knew what I wanted, and that I found a receptive teacher, who could very sensibly expand my goals and get me started. At least for me, this in person interaction is essential. I need a mentor as much as I need an instructor.
    MD

User Info Menu

I am new, I have little knowledge to jazz. I´ve listened to some Miles Davis, but that´s about it..

I want to learn, I want to experience new music: Jazz music

Recommendations, artists to start with, what to explore +++

How much do I want to know? Well, picture this:

If your kid came to you and says «I want to learn all that you know about Jazz music»

What would you do?

User Info Menu

If you like horns start with Coleman Hawkins, Lester Young, Chet baker. Move to Charlie Parker, Sony Stitt, Sony Rollins, John Coltrane, Cannonball Adderley. If you like piano, check Nat King Cole, Duke Ellington, Art Tatum, Count Basie, Oscar Peterson then you can check Bill Evans, Thelonius Monk, Hank Jones, Bud Powell. I only named a few that popped in my head immediatelly, there s many more talented players, but you gotta listen to all and let your ears decide which way to go.

User Info Menu

Are you in a place where there's live music? If there's any way, see live jazz. It's the best way to see the process of what's going on, watch musicians exchange ideas, find a flow, feel a good night, or a bad one... Jazz is a live music. Jazz is a music that didn't exist the moment before that recording. To really understand jazz, you should understand the process and seeing it being made has been the best lesson for me.

A teacher told me this early on. I didn't get what he was saying until live music became a part of my life. Then I got it and the recordings became much more than the notes contained within, they became a document of a live process.
    Don't get caught up in the details. The excitement is in the creative process. Do it, and be around other people who are doing it.

David

User Info Menu

For jazz guitar some key access points are Kenny Burrell "Midnight Blue," Gran Green "Grantstand," Wes Montgomery "The Incredible Guitar of Wes Montgomery." These are pretty compelling, blues based bop records from the 60s.

User Info Menu

What kind of music do you normally listen to?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Groover1999

If your kid came to you and says «I want to learn all that you know about Jazz music»

What would you do?
    You mean as a listener, or as a player? For the latter, I'd say be careful what you wish for. Please realise that to become accomplished (not necessarily great or even "good") at Jazz guitar it will take something in the order of the oft quoted 10,000 hours. Even for the ones who think they're special, gifted or somehow "different" (ie, the ones who feel they "mastered" much simpler styles of music in way less time! ).

On the other hand, if you just wanna broaden your listening a little, get Spotify and download compilations of all the period styles, and gradually find the stuff that you like. Most people who listen to Jazz guitar are jazz guitarists themselves, so at some point you may wanna pick up a few tunes for your modest personal enjoyment, if so, check out the lessons section of this site. Otherwise get a teacher and settle in for the long. long ride...

User Info Menu

I was the same, I knew I liked "Jazz" but had no idea what i liked! I bought a jazz compilation album. I tried to find a short one, so got a 2 cd set rather than one of the 500 songs sets (thats too much). I put both CD's in the car and listened to them. If there was a song that particularly jumped out to me, I'd explore more into that artist. I found I love Mingus, Django, and some more modern stuff. I also found I was less into some of the obvious big name stuff.

Every month or so i come back to that album and listen to it again as I begin to hear new things, hear new qualitiy in tracks I'd disregarded before, particularly as my guitar skills develop. I'm also learning trombone, so again, I'm listening for something else in the tracks.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by TruthHertz
    Are you in a place where there's live music? If there's any way, see live jazz. It's the best way to see the process of what's going on, watch musicians exchange ideas, find a flow, feel a good night, or a bad one... Jazz is a live music. Jazz is a music that didn't exist the moment before that recording. To really understand jazz, you should understand the process and seeing it being made has been the best lesson for me.

A teacher told me this early on. I didn't get what he was saying until live music became a part of my life. Then I got it and the recordings became much more than the notes contained within, they became a document of a live process.
    Don't get caught up in the details. The excitement is in the creative process. Do it, and be around other people who are doing it.

David
    Yes, this is it. The most important part. Of course, there are countless wonderful recordings, and as your time and budget permit, explore them all. There will be many good recommendations made on this forum. But definitely - go where the music is played!

User Info Menu

I do think there is a difference between being interested in jazz guitar playing and listening to jazz music.

I have been playing guitar for 30 years. Mostly folk and blues, mostly acoustic and finger style. However, I have always been impressed by the musicianship of jazz musicians. They represented to me the pinnacle of musical understanding, talent and knowledge. Even more so, it seemed to me, than classical musicians.

That didn't necessarily mean that I was moved by the 20's and 30's pop music that became the "standards".

I have found it inspiring to begin by listening to the hard bop and blues inspired guitar of the 60's like Wes Montgomery and Kenny Burrell. Then I listened to the cooler, less bluesy sounds of Jim Hall. Then Joe Pass for his virtuosity. That led me to Martin Taylor, from whom mere mortals can do video exchange lessons.

My point is that the exploration was more about guitar and jazz technique than listening to jazz standards. Of course, trying to absorb this technique has exposed me to the jazz repertoire. I find I do appreciate and enjoy jazz much more than ever before.

PS: I found the Ken Burns multi-part documentary on jazz VERY informative. To me it was helpful in understanding the music, understanding the roots and how over a century and a half jazz has changed and evolved, and helped me appreciate earlier jazz player like Jelly Roll Morton and the amazing Luis Armstrong.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk