Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 10 of 10

User Info Menu

... or Bertie teaches Del to play jazz.

As mentioned over in the improvisation section on the "Frustrated" thread, I'm another of those players coming from other styles struggling to play jazz (by this, I mean, improvise over the standards to a basic, but competent, level). I've tried many times, but to no avail.

So anyway, I thought it was time for another go, before it's too late.

And I've decided on a new approach based on Bertie's efforts to learn a language - in his case, not jazz, but English. Bertie is 16 months old and isn't worried about making a fool of himself. He's not worried about grammar or building a coherent story. He's not even worried about sentences. Just the occasional word that is (allegedly) recognisable, is enough for him to giggle in delight and dribble a bit. Much like me with jazz, to be honest.

So I've set myself a real simple "Step One" - just learn ten tunes. No hip changes, just the simplest vanilla stuff I can find. No worries about playing things in all keys. Just learn some tunes. Allied to this I'm trying to learn a few licks - not to memorise them, just to get a bit of a jazz feel into my playing.

It's going okay - kind of like Bertie's English on a good day. Although I'm still a long way short of ten songs, thus far. But one that I have learned in a simple manner is After You've Gone. And here is a composed solo in which I've used a couple of licks from Matt Warnock's "Easy Licks Book" which I play over and over in an effort to get them under my fingers. There's also a (fluffed) lick from Dirk's easy licks lesson on this very site, too.

Anyway, really early days, and I'll hopefully add to this thread as I progress.

Cheers
    Derek

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I like that song and I enjoyed that :-)

User Info Menu

I think you are off to a great start. Just keep at it.

User Info Menu

The chords shown on much sheet music can be overly complicated. Ralph Patt's Vanilla Book is a great resource, with the basic vanilla chords for many jazz tunes. There are also backing tracks if you're interested in that.

http://www.ralphpatt.com/Song.html

Backing Tracks

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Rob MacKillop
    I think you are off to a great start. Just keep at it.
    Agreed. And a nice guitar tone as well!

User Info Menu

Good work. Kudos!

Thanks for the comments and the encouragement, folks :-) Much appreciated!

Step one, is on-going...

Derek

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by sgosnell
    The chords shown on much sheet music can be overly complicated. Ralph Patt's Vanilla Book is a great resource, with the basic vanilla chords for many jazz tunes. There are also backing tracks if you're interested in that.

http://www.ralphpatt.com/Song.html

Backing Tracks
    I was going to mention Patt's Vanilla Book. It's easy to see basic changes to hundreds of standards, and in so doing, you learn to see patterns of chords / changes. It makes it all seem less complicated.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by digger
    ... or Bertie teaches Del to play jazz....
    Nice! That's the way to do it. Sounds good.

User Info Menu

Sounds good to me as well. You're off to a good start for sure!