Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 17 of 17

User Info Menu

Hello everyone,,I know for me, Dimebag Darrell was it; I had to play guitar after listening to "Cowboys From Hell".It's amazing that I went from playing that music (still do), loving the weird guitars (I don't really see the appeal in those weird star shaped/Michael Angelo Batio type guitars anymore though), to listening to post rock, Electronic, to Jazz, to Classical, to Drone https://musiquedepot.ca/guitares/guitares-acoustiques.html, to Math Metal/Rock.I still listen to it all, but it's amazing that it all started with Pantera.
    Last edited by Redington; 10-08-2019 at 08:24 AM.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I thought I heard Buddy Bolden say....

Redington and to the JGF!

Peter Frampton for me. When Humble Pie "Humble Pie Performance Rockin' The Fillmore" was released in '71, it was his playing; phrasing/tone and his Les Paul that made me want to play guitar.

Last edited by Midnight Blues; 10-07-2019 at 01:17 PM.
    Midnight Blues

User Info Menu

I actually started playing guitar because my friend had bought a drumset at a garage sale. We were 12. He announced at school the next day that he was starting a band, and knowing my dad had an old acoustic sitting in a closet and not wanting to be left out, I announced "I play the guitar."

So now, to learn

My pops showed me the harmonics at the beginning of Roundabout and the intro chords to Ten Years After's "I'd love to change the world," and I was pretty much hooked instantly. I think I knew within a month that'd I'd play guitar the rest of my life. And that band actually ended up making some music, and a few of the original guys (including me) played together in one shape or form for the next 15 years, really only stopping after people started getting married/having kids.

I think the first guitarist I tried to sound like was Billy Corgan (hey, it was 1993), but the first guitar player I reaaaalllly got hooked on and started stealing stuff from was Jerry Garcia. The Dead were my ticket to jazz, as well.
    Jeff Matz, Jazz Guitar:
    http://www.youtube.com/user/jeffreymatz

"Jazz is like life...it goes on longer than you think, and as soon as you're like 'oh, I get it,' it ends."

--The Ghost of Duke Ellington

Well, since this a Jazz Forum, I suppose I should've correlated my initial post to jazz.

I come from a very musical family on both sides. On my mother's side, they studied music, my mother, piano. On my father's side, they were all self-taught, he, a clarinetist/saxophonist. As a result, growing-up, we always had music playing in the house, be it classical, opera, jazz, big band, or even traditional Italian. That's really where my love for jazz and music in general began.

Of course, when I wanted to take-up an instrument, trumpet, when I was in elementary school, my parents wanted me to learn to play clarinet, which would naturally lead to saxophone in the future. My mother was concerned about the strain I might put on myself playing trumpet because when I was born, I had a double hernia (I know, TMI!). Anyway, as they often do, my parents won-out and I began taking clarinet lessons in school, which lasted only a couple of years.

By the time I got to Jr. High, all the big guys were around; Beck, Clapton, Page, etc. I got together with some friends to form a band and I was the lead singer. Then, the Humble Pie album came out and that's where things changed. I wanted a Les Paul like Frampton's and it just so happened that an excellent local guitar player was selling his '72/'54 Limited Edition Les Paul Custom (which I still have) and my parents bought it for me. That was 1973.

Not long afterwards, they went on a business trip to Atlanta. When they returned, they had bought me my first Wes Montgomery album. Sadly, I have no idea what happened to it, but from what I can remember, it was a kind of "Hits" album? Wish I still had it...
    Midnight Blues

User Info Menu

I started (quite a few years ago...) with Travis/Atkins picking, then bluegrass flatpicking. Then I discovered blues and rock'n roll. It's only about twenty years ago that I entered religion : I started to listen to and try to play jazz...

User Info Menu

I played the violin in grade-school and was in my jr-high school orchestra. I gave this up, but a few years later I moved in with a jazz guitarist and this got me interested in that (Body Talk by Benson was a major factor). So I got a guitar and took a lesson; first song I learned was,,, yea,,,,, Autumn Leaves!I played little rock or blues guitar before that so in this way my path was different than 99% of the people I jam with. For the first 5 or so years it would surprise guys I jammed with that I could play some jazz standards but didn't know what a I\IV\V blues was! So I took lessons again from a GTI guy and asked to be taught the basic blues form.

User Info Menu

I heard a guy named Mason Williams play a song on the classical guitar, surrounded by an orchestra, on the Smothers Brothers Comedy Hour in the 1960's. I'd always been fascinated with the guitar, even got a "Tiger" guitar (Mattel!!) for Christmas one year. But when I heard "Classical Gas" (the aforementioned tune) I decided to buy a nylon stringed guitar and learn to play that song. So I bought a guitar, bought he record, found some kind of sheet music, and purchased Frederick Noad's Playing the Guitar. As I worked through Noad, I skipped all the beginner tunes and worked on Classical Gas. I listened to the record, doped out what I could from the sheet music, and used Noad to figure out what the guitar was about.

By the end of that summer--my parents were busy getting a divorce and wrecking our family and I was whisked away to my grandparents' farm where I learned Classical Gas--I could play the song! I did not know regular chords, could not play "On Top of Old Smokey," but I could play the hell out of Classical Gas.

I then started watching the Glen Campbell "Goodtime Hour" television show and that became how I branched out on the guitar. I heard Chet Atkins and got fired up about him, and from time to time one of the major networks had a show featuring a studio orchestra and I think Tony Motola was the guitarist. My dad says I got really excited whenever he played.

At any rate, I became a folk-singer in the 1970's who played way better than I sang. Didn't get to Jazz until maybe 1988 or so. Joe Pass and Earl Klugh hooked me.
    - Lawson
    "Whenever you come near the human race, there's layers and layers of nonsense." - Thornton Wilder, Our Town

User Info Menu

I remember listening to the Goodman Sextet with Charlie Christian on 78 rpm records that my parents had, and to Chet Atkins on the radio. My father played guitar, and there were few other musicians in the area, and no money to buy anything, so I learned guitar. I have never, ever liked rock, other than some early stuff like Little Richard et al. I just never was able to like it, I don't know why, so most of the big rock names ring no bells with me, and I couldn't tell one from another. I think Duke Ellington was right, it don't mean a thing if it ain't got that swing.

User Info Menu

Carl Verheyen was in my brothers class and was a friend of my brother. He was in 8th grade in a small school, perhaps 14 years old. He had a band that played popular rock music of the time, that would have been around 1967. So they played the Beatles, the Stones, The Doors, Credence Clearwater Revival etc., I thought that was amazing. I was about 10 and would walk over to his house for guitar lessons, I think it was 25 cents per lesson if I remember correctly.

Did that for a short while, he hadn't really developed any guitar instruction chops at the time. From there I went to a summer course at the public school and learned to play Hey Jude. Then classical lessons at a local music store, Graysons Tune Town.

I was exposed to jazz in high school, early George Benson actually, got the Mickey Baker book, an Epiphone solid body, a Super Reverb, and joined a "jazz" band. I wish I still had that Super Reverb.
    B+
    Frank (aka fep)

User Info Menu

I had a BC Rich Warlock as a kid.

No explanation needed.

User Info Menu

I have always had this theory that folks of my generation (teens in the 1960s) went in one of two directions:

1. Keith Richard (teen idol) --> Chuck Berry (real thing) --> Charlie Christian (destination)
    2. Eric Clapton (teen idol) --> the Kings (real thing) --> pentatonic noodling and pedal boards (destination)

I happily took door number one.

User Info Menu

well my 15th birthday I got a cheep nylon acoustic a Hondo. The player I wanted to sound like was Link Wray, started off using mel bay books. then some Beatles song books.

User Info Menu

I was a teen in the 60's. Started with violin at 10 and went to cello soon after. In a couple years I was into strumming guitar and singing Dylan, mostly due to my big brother's influence. And guitar was cooler than cello back then.

That quickly led to John Hurt > Jesse Fuller > Son House > Lightnin' > Muddy > BB by about 1968. Found a bunch of records that I had never heard of at a garage sale right around then. Birth of the Cool, Giants Steps, Blue Trane, Impresssions, some Monk, some Django, Art Blakey. I think they were like fifty cents each. I bought as many as I could. A dozen or so. I wonder what I left in the box sometimes.

It's an interesting topic. In some other thread there was talk about how guys my age must've come up thru thru El-Clapiton etc. Not me. By the time those tea-bags started showing up I was pretty much done with that. A friend and I used to call it "diddly-diddly-reeee" playing. And it wasn't meant to be a compliment.

Paul Horn used to live up here. In about '70 or '71 he did a jazz camp at a boarding school in the country that was out for summer. I couldn't afford it, so I camped out nearby and sorta crashed it. Paul's guitarist at the time shared his room with me for a few nights. I got to play with the band a couple times. That's when things clicked for me. Art Johnson was a great inspiration and taught me some valuable stuff about playing, and beyond.

After that I quit school, left home and headed for wider pastures.

User Info Menu

When I was a kid (in sixties), my father listened so much jazz at home that I probably was vaccinated with a gramophone needle.

Then rock came and playing in a local rock band. One year in a pop&jazz conservatory studying Leavitt's vol 1. Other activities came along and the guitar had to go.

After almost 40 years not playing guitar I started again. On August 24th 2018 I started playing again and had my first lesson. Guess what book my teacher wanted to use?

As of today I am halfway through vol 2 and struggling to come up with cool jazz & bebop solo lines. Played a few weeks ago at my daughter's wedding together with my son (sax) 6 "real book" tunes. What a feeling.

User Info Menu

Kiss. At 12/13, Kiss was everthing to me. I had been playing trumpet in elementary and middle school but a desire to be like Gene Simmons and play rock with friends spelled the end of trumpet and set me on a path that continues to this day. However, everytime a gig ends and the trumpet player has his horn in the case and is walking out the door in two minutes, while I wrap cables and have to move a bass cabinet - I curse Gene Simmons.

User Info Menu

15 yo, acoustic guitar and cowboy chords. Started writing songs right off the bat, learned hardly any covers. Played in a couple punk bands that lasted for 1 or 2 shows. Had a decent run as a indie acoustic act with a drummer. started acoustic country blues when I got more serious about guitar. Then jazz. Then went to music school for classical guitar for 3 years. Then Jazz again.
    White belt
    My Youtube