Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 11 of 11

User Info Menu

In the evening while watching TV I will always have a guitar with me and will run scales and exercises throughout the evening. I won't try to learn anything new but just doing things I already know that are not real complicated. The funny thing is a lot of times I realize I am not paying attention to the show (which is just fine with me). I find that most evenings I end up getting in an extra hour on the instrument.

Anybody else do this?
    Cheers,
    Ray

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by raylinds View Post
    In the evening while watching TV I will always have a guitar with me and will run scales and exercises throughout the evening. I won't try to learn anything new but just doing things I already know that are not real complicated. The funny thing is a lot of times I realize I am not paying attention to the show (which is just fine with me). I find that most evenings I end up getting in an extra hour on the instrument.

Anybody else do this?
    Just ask my wife if I do the above! Yea, I do this, which is why I have a Martin acoustic guitar in the den. I also play the chord progression and melody for the songs I commonly play (or will play the next time I jam); No sheet music. This helps keep them in that good old 'muscle memory'. Only takes around 2 minutes per tune so I can do this on 20 or so tunes during a one-hour program.

User Info Menu

My Way of Sneaking in Extra Practice Time-stand2-jpg

the greatest guitar players aid
    If you can distinguish between rehearsing and practicing...you're better than half way there!

User Info Menu

I gave away my TV, and you can't believe how much practice time I can sneak in.

User Info Menu

I used to do that when I was still watching tv. Tommy Tedesco recommended to noodle around while watching tv as a great finger exercise.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    A long journey starts with the first step...and although I have long forgotten about my destination I'm still enjoying the journey.

When having to do some tedious and mostly brainless routines for longer, I play a MUD - a quiet text game playable with minimal input and attention
    TV is too intense. Claiming too much attention to do anything meaningful with the instrument.

Oh, I sometimes put on some nice muted 4k city walk video on YT to give the eyes something to do.. to fight the need to click something on the computer all the time. And it resembles to quality-time a little more that way when wanting to noodle with some brain activity.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by TOMMO View Post
    I used to do that when I was still watching tv. Tommy Tedesco recommended to noodle around while watching tv as a great finger exercise.
    I don't know about that, since Tommy couldn't stop noodling around when giving a performance.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by WILSON 1 View Post
    My Way of Sneaking in Extra Practice Time-stand2-jpg

the greatest guitar players aid
    So true. Have the damn thing available!

As they say, you hang around the kitchen long enough, eventually you'll make a sandwich. I have guitars all over the house...just in case.
    Jeff Matz, Jazz Guitar:
    http://www.youtube.com/user/jeffreymatz

"Jazz is like life...it goes on longer than you think, and as soon as you're like 'oh, I get it,' it ends."

--The Ghost of Duke Ellington

User Info Menu

I always have a guitar within reach and that includes when watching TV. I'll do mindless noodling, running scales and arpeggios, but will also pick out any interesting melodies that I hear. A lot of music on TV, even commercials, has stuff that I wouldn't normally play. And I want to be able to instantly play what I hear.

User Info Menu

I am no grandmaster of jazz or the guitar, but even at my modest level I feel that I get a lot of "practice" from thinking about or "hearing" jazz in my had...in my mind soloing over a tune, or mentally transposing a tune or series of chords, or reviewing changes to a tune I haven't played in a while. I find these things more useful than moving my fingers around without a clear purpose and focus...YMMV.