Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 15 of 15

User Info Menu

Thread for the week starting on Sep 2nd 2019.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Watch your ears! I guess I need to go back and edit the audio because these are louder than the rest. Maybe I need to go increase the others?

Rhythm Accompaniment - Ex. 1

Rhythm Accompaniment - Ex. 2

Rhythm Accompaniment - Ex. 3

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

In exercise 2, I liked hearing the higher D in the E7. Someone please check my theory on this. In E, the D is the min 7 of E. D# would be the maj 7 correct? So in the E7 chord with the higher min 7, the notes are E - B - D - G# - D - E. It sounds richer in my ears with the higher min 7 instead of the higher 5, B. In exercise 3, I do play both versions of E7, with the higher 5 for two beats and with the higher min 7 for two beats.

The three rhythm accompaniment exercises on pg 24:

Exercise 1:

Exercise 2:

Exercise 3:

User Info Menu

Yep, D natural is a minor 7th above E, and is what makes it an E7 chord.

User Info Menu

Page 26. This is kind of a busy sounding duet IMO, I really had to pan widely for each part.

As for me, I really need to work on even rhythms and better legato playing.

User Info Menu

Here is my Second Solo. Complete with mistakes. I think my leg was keeping time with one piece and my fingers with another piece. I'm getting a baseball grip on the neck. I need to lighten up. The neck of the guitar is not going anywhere unless I am mistaken. Move the thumb back to the middle of the neck.

User Info Menu

I like your version just fine George. Here is mine. Lots of rough spots still, but I know from past experience that it gets more smooth/secure with repeated practice. Cheers.

User Info Menu

Here is my Second Solo submission. I am trying a different camera and I'll probably move it around the next few submissions. Definitely some mistakes as well. It's tough with all the open string muting and sustaining! @Georgebanketas and @Jazzstdnt you both are sounding really good!

Second Solo:

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by D3MONC View Post
    Here is my Second Solo submission. I am trying a different camera and I'll probably move it around the next few submissions. Definitely some mistakes as well. It's tough with all the open string muting and sustaining! @Georgebanketas and @Jazzstdnt you both are sounding really good!
    Thank you. You are sounding good too @D3MONC.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jazzstdnt View Post
    Page 26. This is kind of a busy sounding duet IMO, I really had to pan widely for each part.

As for me, I really need to work on even rhythms and better legato playing.
    I agree that it is a busy sounding duet. I will try the hard pan left and hard pan right to try to separate them.

User Info Menu

Etude No 3. This piece gave me a bit of a problem. Yes the Ritard at the end, trying to get both guitar parts to slow down at the same time to the same tempo, but also in guitar part 1 going from bar 8 to 9. Not sure why that eighth note to dotted quarter note gave me a tough time but it did. The same goes for guitar part 2 in bar 15 to 16. The eighth note to dotted quarter note gave me a huge fit. One, it gave me a fit in guitar part 1 but also guitar part 1 has eighth notes in that section. My fingers wanted to play along without regard to the note values I was supposed to play.
    When I put the video together for the duet, I took a cue from @Jazzstdnt and panned one part hard left and the other hard right. The videos where the parts are solo I left as normal.

Etude No 3 G1:

Etude No 3 G2:

Etude No 3 Duet:

User Info Menu

Sounds good. After all, if two players were playing it they'd be a few feet apart, so the panning approximates that.

User Info Menu

Here's my sloppy attempt at Etude No. 3.

Guitar 1:

Guitar 2:

Duet:

User Info Menu

P. 25 Second Solo - 07.09.19, 09.15 by Sam Phillips | Free Listening on SoundCloud

P. 26 Etude No. 3 (duet) - 07.09.19, 08.58 by Sam Phillips | Free Listening on SoundCloud

I just discovered this study group yesterday. I think it's a fantastic idea. I worked through section one about a year ago and then took a hiatus, I think this would be a great way to refresh and move onto new material. The recordings are a bit sloppy, but repetition and moving on should help clear up problem areas. Unfortunately I'm out of town for 2 weeks after tomorrow, so I'll have even more catching up to do then.

Thanks for this motivating project guys.