Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 17 of 17

User Info Menu

Thread for the week starting on Aug 26th 2019.

We are all proceeding at different speeds and that is perfectly fine.

Two questions for all of you:
    - how are you reviewing past lessons: Leavitt says that "Review of all material is a must"
    - is anyone practicing in fingerstyle? and how? Thumb for E, A and D, index for G, middle for B and ring for E?

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

To be honest I have played through the book twice, in past years. It's still challenging to come back and play some of it though, Leavitt really works you out.

Regarding constant review, yes I always went back and played the recently completed pages, and sometimes would just play through the entire first half of the book, and on other days play through the entire second half of the book. But usually I would just review the recently completed pages. FWIW.

User Info Menu

I basically do the same thing as @Jazzstdnt. I pick a day each week and just go back through all of the exercises and stuff from the beginning to where we are now. I typically try to speed up my metronome so I can see if I've improved and I make it through the exercises faster. I'm sure that'll get more difficult as we get further in the book. At that point there will just be too much to try to do over again.

User Info Menu

Same here. My review day(s) are usually the weekend. I start at pg 1 and go through all the exercises up to where I am at right now. When more stuff gets added it will be tougher. Hopefully to make the review process a bit easier, I plan on marking the exercises that I had trouble with. Then review the material in the exercise that I had trouble with. Did I have a problem with triads? I will go through and cover all the triads material, etc... Not sure if that will be a good decision. It is about to get a bit more hectic in my life and if I can focus my practice then that will help me out immensely!

User Info Menu

Rests, Tied Notes, Dotted Notes - Ex. 1

User Info Menu

First Solo looks intimidating!

Etude No. 2 - Guitar 1

Etude No. 2 - Guitar 2

Etude No. 2 - Duet

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by D3MONC View Post
    First Solo looks intimidating!
    That is exactly what I am thinking as well. Nice job on the duet!

User Info Menu

All the Solos are challenging. The first one is mute city. Me no likey.

You can avoid the muting on the C7 and G7 chords to break things up though. That's what the Berklee demo CD player did (whoever he was). In fact I think he avoided muting on the measure preceding those as well.

User Info Menu

Using my acoustic because it's easier to not let the notes ring out. Maybe that's cheating. This one was tough! The second solo doesn't look any better either! Lol. I have a bunch of mistakes but, I'm planning to go back and get this one cleaner and faster. I'll try to do a resubmittal by the end of next week when these are actually due.

As a side note, I think I'm going to memorize the solos. I haven't really memorized any of the information just yet. Do guys memorize anything? Obviously as you play it a bunch it starts to stick. I find if I don't sit in front of the sheet I can't recall 100% of the different exercises, etudes, etc...

Also, we talked about supplemental material. I've purchased a few books. I got the Patterns for Jazz which they are going over in a different part of the forum. I plan to start submitting to that once we get out of the open position and I feel a little more comfortable. I've also got The Jazz Songbook by Leavitt which we discussed maybe making a separate supplemental thread for. Lastly, I just picked up Melodic Rhythms, Reading Studies (Pos. 1 to 7 all keys), and Classical studies for pick style guitar - Volume 1. These are also Leavitt books which the internet says compliments the modern method series.

First Solo - 80 BPM (With plenty of mistakes!)

User Info Menu

I don't memorize them as such. But I do play them to the point that they're familiar when I "read" through them.

User Info Menu

I've also got The Jazz Songbook by Leavitt which we discussed maybe making a separate supplemental thread for. Lastly, I just picked up Melodic Rhythms, Reading Studies (Pos. 1 to 7 all keys), and Classical studies for pick style guitar - Volume 1. These are also Leavitt books which the internet says compliments the modern method series.
    Yeah, I'll play some of those with you!

1. In terms of the Jazz Songbook, St. Thomas is easy and should be playable by anyone who is at page 20 or so of Volume 1. For Here's That Rainy Day I would advise waiting until one has played through page 38 of Volume 1. For the rest of the tunes I would advise waiting until one is playing in Section 2 of Volume 1.

2. Regarding the Melodic Rhythms Studies, Leavitt starts to introduce Melodic Rhythms in Volume 2 of his method (4 studies), but one could also start the Melodic Rhythm studies book while playing in section 2 of Volume 1.

3. Regarding Classical Studies for Pick Style Guitar. Well, those are pretty tough for plectrum playing. I would wait a little bit.

Just my two cents.

User Info Menu

Rests, Tied Notes, Dotted Notes :

I thought I would have a bit of fun with the duet. We have a musical instrument. So why not make the most of it by playing in different parts of it. Why should we always use the area closest to the pickups or the sound hole? Makes the piece seem different. I liked the sound playing that far down the neck from the pickups. I will not do it all the time. Just to throw in some different flavor and keep things fun!

Etude No 2 Guitar 1 :

Etude No 2 Guitar 2 :

Etude No 2 Duet :

User Info Menu

Also, we talked about supplemental material. I've purchased a few books. I got the Patterns for Jazz which they are going over in a different part of the forum. I plan to start submitting to that once we get out of the open position and I feel a little more comfortable. I've also got The Jazz Songbook by Leavitt which we discussed maybe making a separate supplemental thread for. Lastly, I just picked up Melodic Rhythms, Reading Studies (Pos. 1 to 7 all keys), and Classical studies for pick style guitar - Volume 1. These are also Leavitt books which the internet says compliments the modern method series.
    I too have the other Leavitt books. I looked into the Patterns for Jazz book. That looks very interesting. I would like to play along with y'all if you do not mind a straggler.

User Info Menu

Here's Page 23 - First Solo. It's perfectly awful but I'm moving on. I haven't played this open position/string stuff in a long time and it shows.

User Info Menu

Here is my attempt at the first solo. I enjoyed this. Not the greatest playing but I can live with it.

MMFG Vol 1 First Solo :

User Info Menu