The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
Posts 76 to 100 of 155

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by D3MONC
    First Solo looks intimidating!
    That is exactly what I am thinking as well. Nice job on the duet!

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

All the Solos are challenging. The first one is mute city. Me no likey.

You can avoid the muting on the C7 and G7 chords to break things up though. That's what the Berklee demo CD player did (whoever he was). In fact I think he avoided muting on the measure preceding those as well.

User Info Menu

Etude #1 Guitar 1:

Etude #1 Guitar 2:

Etude #1 Duet:

User Info Menu

Using my acoustic because it's easier to not let the notes ring out. Maybe that's cheating. This one was tough! The second solo doesn't look any better either! Lol. I have a bunch of mistakes but, I'm planning to go back and get this one cleaner and faster. I'll try to do a resubmittal by the end of next week when these are actually due.

As a side note, I think I'm going to memorize the solos. I haven't really memorized any of the information just yet. Do guys memorize anything? Obviously as you play it a bunch it starts to stick. I find if I don't sit in front of the sheet I can't recall 100% of the different exercises, etudes, etc...

Also, we talked about supplemental material. I've purchased a few books. I got the Patterns for Jazz which they are going over in a different part of the forum. I plan to start submitting to that once we get out of the open position and I feel a little more comfortable. I've also got The Jazz Songbook by Leavitt which we discussed maybe making a separate supplemental thread for. Lastly, I just picked up Melodic Rhythms, Reading Studies (Pos. 1 to 7 all keys), and Classical studies for pick style guitar - Volume 1. These are also Leavitt books which the internet says compliments the modern method series.

User Info Menu

I don't memorize them as such. But I do play them to the point that they're familiar when I "read" through them.

User Info Menu

I've also got The Jazz Songbook by Leavitt which we discussed maybe making a separate supplemental thread for. Lastly, I just picked up Melodic Rhythms, Reading Studies (Pos. 1 to 7 all keys), and Classical studies for pick style guitar - Volume 1. These are also Leavitt books which the internet says compliments the modern method series.
    Yeah, I'll play some of those with you!

1. In terms of the Jazz Songbook, St. Thomas is easy and should be playable by anyone who is at page 20 or so of Volume 1. For Here's That Rainy Day I would advise waiting until one has played through page 38 of Volume 1. For the rest of the tunes I would advise waiting until one is playing in Section 2 of Volume 1.

2. Regarding the Melodic Rhythms Studies, Leavitt starts to introduce Melodic Rhythms in Volume 2 of his method (4 studies), but one could also start the Melodic Rhythm studies book while playing in section 2 of Volume 1.

3. Regarding Classical Studies for Pick Style Guitar. Well, those are pretty tough for plectrum playing. I would wait a little bit.

Just my two cents.

User Info Menu

Rests, Tied Notes, Dotted Notes :

I thought I would have a bit of fun with the duet. We have a musical instrument. So why not make the most of it by playing in different parts of it. Why should we always use the area closest to the pickups or the sound hole? Makes the piece seem different. I liked the sound playing that far down the neck from the pickups. I will not do it all the time. Just to throw in some different flavor and keep things fun!

Etude No 2 Guitar 1 :

Etude No 2 Guitar 2 :

Etude No 2 Duet :

User Info Menu

Also, we talked about supplemental material. I've purchased a few books. I got the Patterns for Jazz which they are going over in a different part of the forum. I plan to start submitting to that once we get out of the open position and I feel a little more comfortable. I've also got The Jazz Songbook by Leavitt which we discussed maybe making a separate supplemental thread for. Lastly, I just picked up Melodic Rhythms, Reading Studies (Pos. 1 to 7 all keys), and Classical studies for pick style guitar - Volume 1. These are also Leavitt books which the internet says compliments the modern method series.
    I too have the other Leavitt books. I looked into the Patterns for Jazz book. That looks very interesting. I would like to play along with y'all if you do not mind a straggler.

User Info Menu

Here's Page 23 - First Solo. It's perfectly awful but I'm moving on. I haven't played this open position/string stuff in a long time and it shows.

User Info Menu

Here is my attempt at the first solo. I enjoyed this. Not the greatest playing but I can live with it.

MMFG Vol 1 First Solo :

User Info Menu

I'm falling behind, but here are my exercices 9, 10 and Imitation duet. Not without mistakes and pretty slow tempo:

MMFG Vol 1 - Excercise 10 by Jhu | Free Listening on SoundCloud
    MMFG Vol 1 - Imitation Duet by Jhu | Free Listening on SoundCloud

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jhui
    I'm falling behind, but here are my exercices 9, 10 and Imitation duet. Not without mistakes and pretty slow tempo:

MMFG Vol 1 - Excercise 10 by Jhu | Free Listening on SoundCloud
    MMFG Vol 1 - Imitation Duet by Jhu | Free Listening on SoundCloud
    Nice job, nice recording, and guitar sounds great!

User Info Menu

In exercise 2, I liked hearing the higher D in the E7. Someone please check my theory on this. In E, the D is the min 7 of E. D# would be the maj 7 correct? So in the E7 chord with the higher min 7, the notes are E - B - D - G# - D - E. It sounds richer in my ears with the higher min 7 instead of the higher 5, B. In exercise 3, I do play both versions of E7, with the higher 5 for two beats and with the higher min 7 for two beats.

The three rhythm accompaniment exercises on pg 24:

Exercise 1:

Exercise 2:

Exercise 3:

User Info Menu

Yep, D natural is a minor 7th above E, and is what makes it an E7 chord.

User Info Menu

Page 26. This is kind of a busy sounding duet IMO, I really had to pan widely for each part.

As for me, I really need to work on even rhythms and better legato playing.

User Info Menu

Here is my Second Solo. Complete with mistakes. I think my leg was keeping time with one piece and my fingers with another piece. I'm getting a baseball grip on the neck. I need to lighten up. The neck of the guitar is not going anywhere unless I am mistaken. Move the thumb back to the middle of the neck.

User Info Menu

I like your version just fine George. Here is mine. Lots of rough spots still, but I know from past experience that it gets more smooth/secure with repeated practice. Cheers.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jazzstdnt
    Page 26. This is kind of a busy sounding duet IMO, I really had to pan widely for each part.

As for me, I really need to work on even rhythms and better legato playing.
    I agree that it is a busy sounding duet. I will try the hard pan left and hard pan right to try to separate them.

User Info Menu

Etude No 3. This piece gave me a bit of a problem. Yes the Ritard at the end, trying to get both guitar parts to slow down at the same time to the same tempo, but also in guitar part 1 going from bar 8 to 9. Not sure why that eighth note to dotted quarter note gave me a tough time but it did. The same goes for guitar part 2 in bar 15 to 16. The eighth note to dotted quarter note gave me a huge fit. One, it gave me a fit in guitar part 1 but also guitar part 1 has eighth notes in that section. My fingers wanted to play along without regard to the note values I was supposed to play.
    When I put the video together for the duet, I took a cue from @Jazzstdnt and panned one part hard left and the other hard right. The videos where the parts are solo I left as normal.

Etude No 3 G1:

Etude No 3 G2:

Etude No 3 Duet:

User Info Menu

Sounds good. After all, if two players were playing it they'd be a few feet apart, so the panning approximates that.

User Info Menu

Page 28.

User Info Menu

Here are my sharps and Flats & Here We Go Again (duet), not perfect but getting better I think..

MMFG Vol 1 - Here We Go Again (duet) by Jhu | Free Listening on SoundCloud

User Info Menu

Nice playing everyone. I really didn't pull off the dynamics part in Here we go again.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jhui
    Nice playing everyone. I really didn't pull off the dynamics part in Here we go again.
    Nice playing Jhui! I did not quite pull off the dynamics either. It seems a little hard for me to to play them as well. 1.) How softly do I play the crescendos starting off? Loud enough to just hear? I started off playing them to where you could hardly hear them. I figured that was too soft. 2.) How loudly do I play them at the end of the crescendo? I got to a point where I was playing them so loud that I was playing the note sharp. I know there is a fine line and it will take practice.

User Info Menu

P. 25 Second Solo - 07.09.19, 09.15 by Sam Phillips | Free Listening on SoundCloud

P. 26 Etude No. 3 (duet) - 07.09.19, 08.58 by Sam Phillips | Free Listening on SoundCloud

I just discovered this study group yesterday. I think it's a fantastic idea. I worked through section one about a year ago and then took a hiatus, I think this would be a great way to refresh and move onto new material. The recordings are a bit sloppy, but repetition and moving on should help clear up problem areas. Unfortunately I'm out of town for 2 weeks after tomorrow, so I'll have even more catching up to do then.

Thanks for this motivating project guys.